Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I don't understand why we would have to give up ingram, ball, kuz, hart, 4th AND future picks to get this deal done?

Why would the Pelicans want 5 young guys all on their team? Will they even have roster spots?

I think where this will end up is Ball, Ingram and #4 pick for AD. We would gain some cap space from this as well and it may actually still be enough for us to go after a max FA ( think we'd have around $26M in cap space if we traded BI/Zo/4th for AD?).

I think if push comes to shove, you include a future first round pick in either 2020 or 2021 but no later than that. If they want 2022, you have to take out Ingram from the deal. If they want 2023, you have to take out Lonzo from the deal.

So it's either:

BI/Zo/4th/2020 or 2021 1st
    OR
    Zo/4th/2022 1st
    OR
    BI/4th/2023 1st

I just don't really see any reason to include Kuz, Hart, Wagner or any of these guys when we don't really need them to match salaries before or after the draft to make the trade work and they kinda don't serve any purpose with the guys they already have and would receive from us. I think that BI/Zo/4th/future 1st check all the boxes that Griffin would be looking for in an AD deal, so anything else is sort of redundant imo.

I think any deal has to start with Ingram though. I don't think we can hold him out of the deal but I also think we shouldn't hold him out given his contract situation...

abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  2. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

If he's for sure leaving, you do the deal now. The price goes down at the deadline.

TIME likes this.
  3. BigSmoove

BigSmoove - Rookie -

4. fabfourlakers

I got so lost in this...can someone make sense of this? @vasashi17 im looking at you right now...

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  5. Mr. Rambis

Mr. Rambis - Rookie - LB Verified Insider

Good points @abeer3 ! I don't know the details of the proposed S&Ts, but my guess is it would be multiple 1 year deals or backloaded non-guaranteed years as you suggested, rather than maxing KCP. I don't even know if KCP could be involved due to Rich Paul. Lots of question marks. The feeling I'm getting is Rob is more interesting in looping in a 3rd team to make the money work, but first wants to agree on the non-deadweight assets exchanged between the two teams. Rob is an expert on the CBA, so I'd trust him on this part, anyways.

-Mr. Rambis

Barnstable likes this.
  6. Mr. Rambis

Update as of an hour ago: Rob and David haven't spoken again since the last offer.

7. fabfourlakers

I think this is dumb. I don't understand why we think it's OK to not offer Zo OR Ingram in a deal for AD when we've already offered the entire damn team at the deadline!

I get not offering the whole team this time around...I'll be pissed if we do that...but I think you gotta be realistic and include at lesat ONE of Ingram or Zo in the first call so that you don't get hung up on.

lakerjones likes this.
  8. Mr. Rambis

My guess is Rob will have to offer potentially both of them when it comes time to serious talks. But at this point, neither of them want to "blink" first. There's a bit of a deadline for both sides, thanks to the draft though.

-Mr. Rambis

abeer3 likes this.
  9. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Can someone please remind me: cap-wise, is there a scenario where we can trade for AD first, and then sign a max FA like Kawhi? Or does it have to be the other way around?

10. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    If the Lakers sign a solid FA, they should sit on that offer and tell the Pelicans to accept or kick rocks and enjoy having a disgruntled superstar all
    season long. At that point everyone will start to offer lowball offers and they lose all leverage. The key is getting a free agent right out the gate.
    Then sit and watch the Sh** show happen in New Orleans. Lakers need to deal from a position of power not a face saving position.

OmarE likes this.
  11. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I don't think so. AD's salary is like $5M more than all of our kids combined.

12. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

If a trade goes down, I think a third team might make things easier.

alam1108 likes this.
  13. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

While I agree he may want to see that, but there are in my opinion too many things that can go against the pelicans in this scenario.

- Lakers land Kawhi?
    - Any player previously involved has a breakout season?
    - Pelicans still suck with Zion?
    - Zion/AD get hurt?

And so on, it’s a lot of factors against them for me, because even if they play well together I doubt e stays and I doubt they are competing for a championship.

14. BigSmoove

BigSmoove - Rookie -

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Good. Confirms the reports that his stance hasn't changed and that after their meeting, he still wants out. Hopefully we can start making some traction as they see we can compile the best offer on the market.

16. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Fab, forget about the extension talk that Pincus brings up in that article cause AD already statedhe would opt out and enter 2020 free agency.

Also forget about the 15% trade kicker, cause LA would have to either lose valuable capspace or other assets in a salary match to trade for the extra salary of AD's trade kicker. If AD wants LA, he's not going to hurt the process by exercising his trade kicker. I know it would be roughly 4m lost to him, but he would make so much more if he decided to do a 1+1 in 2020 to be eligible for a 35%max in 2021.

Lakers have 32m in capspace. Let's say we trade everybody (including the top 4 pick) for AD and only Bron/AD/DeadDengMoney/Incomplete roster charges remain, then we'll be looking at about 30.5m in cap space left.

True max for Kawhi/Ky/30%max players is 32.7m. So we'd be short but a couple million.

The only way to have Kawhi/Ky get just about their true max while trading for AD is that we sign the max FA first, then trade for AD.

Hahaha... What's vague is your memory/vision on it. First off, it was a 9 for 1. Second, it was a hypothetical scenario to clear enough cap for a Bron, Kawhi, George triumvirate. Third, well on the eye chart that's the line where things start to get blurry ... "vaguely familiar." :p

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  17. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    [​IMG]

Lakerman JSJ likes this.
  18. Mr. Rambis

Now, why would this get leaked after Rob and David are in a bit of a standoff, waiting for the other to "blink" first...

I think it is quite clear what happened, here.

Barnstable and TIME like this.
  19. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

There's a very real scenario in front of the Lakers that has us coming out of this Summer with Bron, AD, Lonzo, and one of Kawhi/Butler/Kyrie as our core moving forward.

I'd be waaaaaay more confident if our front office wasn't mostly comprised of a bunch of dummies who would have trouble with this question...

[​IMG]

Toneloc likes this.
  20. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

borrowing this passage for my Laker group that needs a roadmap of our cap situation

Barnstable likes this.