Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Is AD ok with NY if they don’t get a big FA?

2. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

What's funny is I think NOLA and their fans would rather take a mediocre package of Knox, Ntilikina, the #3, hell, even Robinson if the Knicks wanted to than to take probably two #2 overalls, a #4 pick, and even Hart and Wagner because they're salty.

Kuz, Hart, Wagner, and #4 would be a better package than anything the Knicks could offer.

3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

cause Linda/Rob

4. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I know people don't want to do this....but Lonzo/Ingram/4th pick is where we're going to end up on this AD deal if it happens.

It's the only thing that makes sense AFTER we sign someone...salaries would match up perfectly too and we conserve some semblance of depth by sparing Kuz, Hart and Wagner. Unfortunately both Zo and BI are gone in this deal...but we get to keep Kuzma at least.

If NOP wants to re-route Lonzo to Chicago or Phoenix for the 6th/7th pick, they can do that. But in order for salaries to work...we would most definitely have to deal Ball AND Ingram (unless we do the deal ond raft day then we wouldn't have to include both but then we wouldn't have max cap room to sign another guy if we keep one of BI or Zo or 4th pick).

D-Fish Man and lakerfan2 like this.
  5. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Funny enough....if AD stays until trade deadline...it would favor us and likely spare us one of BI or Zo as we'll likely have somoene that is making more than BI/Zo this year on a 1-year deal that we can use in the deal...so it really is in NOP's favor to make a deal now in order to extract the most assets from us.

LakerFanIam likes this.
  6. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

If AD stays until the trade deadline, the most they get is Kuz + picks + fillers. No other team will give up assets for a 2 month rental.

LakerFanIam likes this.
  7. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

That’s the only time we would need him anyway. I’m for that.

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

salary still have to match if sign a max fa

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

For the playoffs it would be too big of an adjustment in such a short span. The benefits, most likely, would be realized the following year.

We'd have a bunch of expirings by then.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  10. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    If they traded those guys so that we could have Lebron, Davis and Kawhi, I would be fine with that. Davis is 26, Kawhi is 27. I am assuming we get 8-9 years out of them both and in that time we can work on gathering other talent. In 3-4 years Lebron phases out and hopefully, someone else phases in. The idea would be to phase in someone younger, to go with the then two vets with tons of experience.

In this league, if you are NOT a top 10 player, you are likely going to be traded a lot. Just the way this league has grown. If you hold onto good players who can't take you to the top, you are forever mediocre. Sorry but Randle and DLO are not carrying any team to the top. Could they be lucky enough to be on a team that went to the top? Sure, but it won't be because of them. You have to have the superstar to carry you.

And IMHO, most superstars are known within two or three years that they are something special. Kawhi took that long, by his fourth year, even though he was still sharing scoring duties with other guys, he won the finals MVP and has been a marquee offensive and defensive player since. Davis, heck by his second year he was on superstar trajectory.

With our guys, I don't know, none of them are for sure, none of them have been as impressive as these two guys. As much as I like Lonzo, BI and Kuzma I have my doubts if any of them are going to be superstars in this league. I think Lonzo is going to be very good, but unless he learns how to shoot 3's he will simply be a good player who never wins a ring. Kuz is going to be a solid role player. I think he will be very good, like Lou Williams is really good but he is not a superstar. I can see Kuzma being a solid guy who can score in bunches though limited on his 3's and will likely be mediocre to slightly better on defense. With BI, I can envision actually being a break out players and can see him becoming a superstar player in this league. He has a lot of tools and I believe he was actually hampered by Walton and Lebron. He has had to work through that and I think he was before the clot. Now, if his health is a problem, that will be sad. Trading him for Davis is going to hurt a bit and I know when we face him down the road, he is going to light us up, but I got to do that trade if it is offered us. New Orleans is stupid to not covet him. He may not be Davis but they were not winning anything anyhow and BI, Lonzo and Kuz would be a hell of a start on a rebuild.

I won't mind if we cannot work out a deal for Davis and keep these guys, because we might just get lucky. Imagine if Lonzo got his FT & 3 Pt shooting figured out and started being reasonable, then imagine BI taking back up where he left off those last couple of weeks before his health problem!??? Now add Kemba or Kyrie to that and we are going to have a pretty solid team. Not gonna beat the Warriors with Durant, but they may not have Durant next year. If we can get our s*** together, that is a good team.

So bottom line, we absolutely NEED one more superstar, and we need to get that guy through free agency, then I am fine with however else they fill out the roster. The guys we got or if someone great falls into our lap, I am fine with that too.

Punk-101 likes this.
  11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

That’s the package we supposedly offered as a final all in deal at the deadline. It’s my assumption that deal is off the table now because they passed on it, and now teams like Boston they were waiting on who had these great picks coming, well, those picks turned into very mediocre ones. They’d have to offer Tatum, they’re almost certainly losing Kyrie, so I don’t see that happening. I still think we can give up “only” Ingram, Ball, and the 4th, plus future picks. Or even one of Ingram or Ball, Kuz or Hart, the 4th, future picks, I think ALL of that is off the table now, the Pelicans should never have passed on that.

12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I agree with most of your post, except for your point that we need 2 top 10 players. The Spurs had Duncan and 2 allstars for the better part of their dynasty. The Warriors, before Durant, had Curry and two allstars. Same goes for the Mavs, Pistons, and the 09-11 Lakers. So no, we really NEED 1 superstar and a combination of allstars and above average starters.

Kawhi/AD/Lebron would certainly be a dream to build around, but we'd be over the cap with just those 3 players. I don't think we can realistically attract 10+ ring chasers that are productive. I just don't have that much faith in Linda and Co. In fact, I have much more faith in the organic growth of our kids.

Stats may not show, but Ball can provide intangibles similar to Draymond as he develops. Ingram can become a scorer and defender like Klay. And the sum of Kuzma/Hart/#4 is nothing to sneeze at either. Fans of other teams would be ecstatic to have a young core like that, on top of Lebron James and Kawhi Leonard!

Again, in that scenario, I would trade one of Ball/Ingram, Kuzma, #4 and a future 1st. Nothing more.

alam1108, abeer3 and SamsonMiodek like this.
  13. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, I never understood the narrative that our offer wouldn't change in the summer. I would think assets lose value as they approach their contract expiration. AD simply isn't worth as much to us as he could have been in February. (for our playoff push) Especially if we pair another star next to Lebron in free agency.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

NO will regret turning down that offer, imo. Said so then. We and others will offer less now.

Cookie, gcclaker, lakerjones and 4 others like this.
  15. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    No doubt. Totally moronic to turn that deal down. Boston offering Tatum seems unlikely after they lose Kyrie. He's 200% gone.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

They simply played the percentages. Our pick was expected to be 11 or 12. They played the odds. Now we will probably end up keeping Kuzma and Hart. Not a bad start in our quest to fill in the team around Lebron, AD....and Kawhi!

Barnstable likes this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    :Laugh:

If we end up with Kawhi, Bron, and AD.... I’d watch.

:Noddingyes:

Cookie and D-Fish Man like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I like to watch.

[​IMG]

Wino likes this.
  19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    That threesome?

:Brows:

Why you got to make it sound all groce tho?

:BallShameShame:

Wino likes this.
  20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -