Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

THIS. Mitch may have been inept with attracting FA's but he was an assassin when it came to trades. Same with West. All business, professional transactions.

lakerjones likes this.
  2. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I agree, our "package" was an overkill. But after the Paula fiasco and heat Magic got for not including BI, pick, whatever, he went all in.

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

It was worth the attempt. Sucks now but we took our shot at AD. Most were never comfortable with waiting until free agency. We swung and probably missed. It is what is.

The media is gonna media. Honestly no one should be surprised at the narrative being painted. It’s the price we pay for being a top franchise that limits reporter access.

I think it’s good in a way for fans to really see the type of BS and animosity our front office has to deal with. Even when we are clearly overpaying we still get raked by opposing teams and the media.

I can’t fault the front office when other teams are clearly acting in bad faith.

And I’m confident this will blow up on the Pelicans. Those other teams have no intention of dealing anyone good to them. They will end up empty handed and that franchise’s existence in New Orleans is on borrowed time. We will get the last laugh on them for sure.

4. ElginTheGreat

Opposing teams leak the details out of spite. That’s not on us.

5. ElginTheGreat

Pelicans leaked everything to turn players and public sentiment against the front office. And for now it is working. It won’t in the long run though.

abeer3 and Kenzo like this.
  6. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I think Magic should have aborted when the Pelicans started leaking the details. They basically become partners with the media at that point.

Meanwhile it didn't help that Rich Paul was leaking stuff too. And Lavar. What a circus lol

sirronstuff, ElginTheGreat and Kenzo like this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

I felt the same way but I’m not sure we could put that cat back in the bag.

I don’t think we were nearly as desperate as the media is painting us. I think we laid out several trade packages in good faith like teams have done a billion times over the years and the Pelicans straight snitched and did everything they could to poison the water.

The media knowing how much run they can get off of Laker hate completely ate it up.

8. Kenzo

Now, we're the best at paying tampering fines. It has to count for something ;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    sirronstuff and tada like this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

But this shows why these franchises get the poor results they get. This was a waste of their time and resources too that WILL impact how other teams and players view them. I’m sure everyone is giving them a pat on the back now but none of those GMs are actually going to make a good deal with the Pelicans least of all Ainge.

They whine about tampering but they all shoot themselves in the foot with poor decision making.

So yeah, Demps May laugh now but they are still the Pelicans and we are still the Lakers. Our brand is strong and always will be. Theirs is not. We will still be a place guys want to come to. They may not exist in five to ten years.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    sirronstuff and Kenzo like this.
  10. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

Let's blow them out by 40 when they come to town at the end of the month.

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  11. Kentucky Laker

Kentucky Laker - Rookie -

This whole saga has proven one thing to me: the disdain held for the Los Angeles Lakers across the NBA is worse than any other team in any other league. I cannot recall a time when literally every other team in a sports league, as well as outside influences like the media, came together in their hatred of one team and will do anything in their power to stop its success. Pathetic.

Also, someone brought this up on Reddit...while the Dell Demps and Dan Gilbert types laugh about not dealing with the Lakers out of spite and think they're making some sort of bold statement, at the next owners meeting Jeanie needs to pull out some statements of her own: bank statements. Without our revenue, their franchises couldn't exist. She needs to remind them of that and give them some food for thought.

12. Kenzo

[​IMG]

Makes you wonder, how the hell did they got their fortunes. No way they use same tactics and philosophy doing "real" business.

13. ElginTheGreat

Right. I think Magic has made fair offers to all these teams and then try to fleece us for everything.

lakerjones, Kenzo and sirronstuff like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

we didn't make a fair offer to indy, particularly after we obviously set the chain of events in motion.

i guess the good news is that the FO learned from that fairly catastrophic blunder and offered the house this time.

maybe the next lesson is to avoid having players make trade demands. if you have in-roads and know they're coming, just quietly wait it out like miami did when they formed their big three. all parties involved knew about it for like, two years, but the press was largely blindsided. if davis was going to come here, we should have just been taking on salaries of useful players who expired in 2020 and bided time until then. same with george, i guess.

another issue we've had is killing the value of our own assets by not placing them in positions to show their best attributes. we ask ingram to isolate and score (something he's bad at), we tried to play kuzma at center for ten games, i don't know what the hell we were doing with russell here, but it was terrible, too.

tatum's not much better than ingram or kuzma. better, but not by a lot. but he's consistently put into positions where he can succeed and not asked to do things he can't.

ok, i'll cut myself short before i start to ramble.

my thoughts today are that it was right to take this big swing. we missed, but at least we didn't leave anything on the table like in the past. but let's learn from this and operate differently. let's actually build a team this summer when the FAs inevitably stay home or go elsewhere. the clippers (who are about to take our lunch money in really painful ways) did that the last two years, and it's what enabled them to lap us at our own game. gather useful players on reasonable contracts. overachieve. sell what you can for the big prize.

god help me if we go the beasley/stephenson route again.

15. ElginTheGreat

We were never getting George in a trade guys. Just wasn’t going to happen.

lakerjones, Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  16. ElginTheGreat

I agree with the rest though. Especially on building a team. No more one year deals with cast offs.

17. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

(As well as your other posts on this page)

[​IMG]

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yep no leaked s*** or fake leaks

tada likes this.
  19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

its def possible look at zingis trade, barnes trade, and harris trade nobody leaked or had any idea and just happened

alam1108 likes this.
  20. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Because nobody cared.