Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Yep, what sirron said!

You're forgetting these small details too fab4.

In addition to AD being a Klutch client that has a player option to bounce if he isn't traded to his preferred location, Tatum alone ain't going to get it done. Their treasure trove of picks is taking a hit with Sac, cLips and Memphis all doing their part in killing those picks.

BI/Zo are both 2nd overall picks vs Tatum/JBrown both 3rd overall picks. So on paper we got the greater picked players to offer.

Also we got cap space (even after signing a 30% max player like Kawhi) to partially absorb AD's salary which allows us to not salary dump contracts onto Nop just to match salary. For example, we can just trade BI/Zo and a min contract to get a deal done, while Boston needs to add salary (like Smart's contract) to a Tatum/Brown package just to match the necessary salary. Nawlins is projected to be in the red this calendar year, so you think a franchise hemorrhaging money will want to commit money to non-star players if AD turns down the supermax there?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  2. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

These are good points but what if Boston offers someone like Horford + Tatum + Brown + Picks to make this happen? That sets up NOP for right now AND the future no? Isn't that what any team would want if they're trading a superstar like AD?

On top of that...BI/Zo is not a better package than Tatum/Brown as a standalone because Tatum is by far and away the best player among these 4 ....we know that.

Also, I know AD is a Klutch client and i REALLY hope this time around, this helps us out big time since both PG13 and Kawhi were non-Klutch clients and PG13 is represented by that SNAKE a** b**** MINTZ...so yeah that's something we'll be heavily leaning on...and if AD says he wants the Lakers and LAKERS ONLY...then yes, we're in the driver's seat and we will get AD in the summer.

But we've been burned so many times that I really jsut don't want to take the risk again...I'd rather shoot for AD now...but I understand that there's still a chance we get him over the summer while adding another max superstar and potentially keeping 2 of the 4 kids (even 1 of the 4 would be great with LeBron, AD and Maxed out superstar).

3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Plus, AD never said he wants LA. George and Kawhi did... look how that worked out. Maybe it's best for him (and us), to keep his trap shut and let Magic and Rob do their job. On the other hand, im 100% sure NOP will try to send him east (if it comes to that).

4. fabfourlakers

Yea I'm so used to hearing star players say they want LA but then they get traded elsewhere and then we start hearing the same crap about how much they love it there....PG ended up staying and I'm convinced that Kawhi will not play with LeBron (and he might be better off staying in the East with Toronto anyways)..

I want us to finally cash in on these assets and stop hoarding them....

5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

AD being Klutch client helps a little but it would help more if he was a free agent. The problem with any trade is the Laker tax. We just saw Sarver, who's team needs a point guard, trade for a point guard and wing only to then buy out that point guard just to keep Ariza away from LA. He wanted KCP and Hart because of all the backlash he got for pretty much handing us Chandler. I really hope New Orleans isn't so petty about it and deal fairly, otherwise our offer can be better than Boston's but he gets sent there anyways.

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I dont even know why we bother at this point, honestly after the Cp3 fiasco, I see very little chance NOP deals with us again, with all the backlash for someone like cp3, imagine AD instead who's that much better than Cp3 at that time

7. fabfourlakers

Yeah I hate that we are automatically handicapped in any potential deal for a star player due to us being the Lakers.

This is why I say we go for it now and see where we land so New Orleans knows that we're a willing trade partner and will sweeten the deal as much as possible....

If that's what it is going to take...so be it. Forget about adding max FA this summer and then trying to trade for AD...Pelicans will not want to help us build a superteam.

8. vasashi17

Fab4, I'm obviously biased but I sincerely think BI is a better player than Tatum and has the higher ceiling.

Nearly most of the Boston starting 5 has great defensive ranking numbers, but that also reveals that those dudes are getting their numbers from a system. It still has to be seen if Tatum is a system player or not, but as of right now, I think he is.

Both Tatum and Brown's numbers have dipped from last year, but that could just be a Kyrie effect...either way, they're not a package that completely blows Zo/BI out of the water imho.

And Brown in particular really seems off..

(In that clip you got Rozier, Smart and Morris visibly upset with dude and Ky in street clothes didn't even give him any dap haha)

If you think that a gimpy Hayward and 33yo Horford are really valued assets at 30m+, then I'm not sure we hold the same value index. (I like Horford alot...but maybe 3 years ago).

All that being said, everybody focuses on Boston's picks...but there's a serious limitation:

2019 Sac or Philly (top pick protected)
    2019 Griz (top 8 protected)
    2019 cLips (top 14 protected)

You can argue that each of those 3 picks will convert this summer and land in the 14-25ish range. Will four 2019 lower 1sts be appealing to Nop?

But here's the kicker...Boston has to select those picks themselves and then trade them to Nop if a deal is had.

Due to the designated player rules, they can't trade for AD till they resign Kyrie to a new deal using his bird rights. The draft occurs a few days before players can either exercise into or out of their current deals via player options (usually deadline is on June 29th).

So Boston will not be able to trade their 2019 1st round picks to Nop as part of an AD deal before the NBA Draft starts. Everybody knows that those picks depreciate in value the moment a selection is made with them.

So yeah, Boston's assets are largely overblown and frankly doesn't really blow our godfather deal (Zo, BI, Kuz, Hart, 2018 draft class) out of the water. I would actually rebut that our godfather offer holds tremendous value vs whatever their package would be (sans Kyrie being involved).

9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

but look at the league's reaction when we did the CP3 trade, salty tears all over the league

10. vasashi17

@Khmrp Nawlins was league owned at the time of the Cp3 nixin'...not to mention, that "dirty crook" Stern is no longer the commish.

Let's not forget, Stern called NOP's GM Dell Demps, "a lousy general manager"...so maybe Demps goes super petty and trades with us the way he intended to with Cp3.

I'm sure the league was salty with Bron coming after we got hit with a tampering probe and landed Kcp...but it still happened.

I hope we stay disciplined in this and try to execute the plan we have. I know y'all will hate this scenario, but we have a contingency: we hold onto our cap space and kiddies into the summer of 2020 and even with all their cap holds in place, we still have enough cap to offer AD's true max and then have the ability to match any offer BI could get on the open market as a restricted free agent.

That way we have Bron, AD and all our kiddies (granted, we lost 2 years off Bron's prime)...its a contingency and we've already done it 2 years running with the cap we cleared for 2max slots (with Bron occupying one of them now).

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I’m just not sold on waiting until 2020. The west is more vulnerable than many thought. I think we will have a pretty successful overall playoff run and really try to make some moves this summer. I can’t see us waiting around on AD especially if we get burned by Kawhi.

Kenzo, alam1108 and sirronstuff like this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. I guess I'm in the minority. If we can offer 3 of the 4 kids and get arguably the second best player in the league at age 25, you do it now. An AD in the hand is worth two in the Bush. I'd rather take 3 seasons of surefire contention than a chance at a super team. And let's be honest, who is the free agent that signs with us before an AD trade? Klay, Kawhi, KD, Butler...none of those dudes seem likely at this point. I dont think Middleton or Cousins are max guys so we probably can get them with AD already on the roster.

Kenzo, Weezy, lakerjones and 3 others like this.
  13. vasashi17

Per McMenamin:

14. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

:This::This: And more :This:
    My preference would be to give up Ingram, Hart, and Ball with KCP. But if they insist on Kuz instead of one the other kids, I’m not saying no.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  15. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

This is my preference as well simply because I think we can snag Middleton for 26 million or so. He's our shooting guard with a frontcourt of Lebron, Kuz and AD.

raviator likes this.
  16. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Have to agree, I was on the keep the kids train for a long time, but if NO would even take a package of our kids for one of the best 5 or so players in the NBA, you do it. Davis is currently a 28/12/5 guy, plus 3 blocks per game. I’d prefer to keep one of Zo or Kuz though, a PG like Zo would be so good throwing lobs to AD. I’m not saying no for Davis if they want Ingram, Hart, and one of Kuz/Zo plus picks though, that would mean all our drafting had lead us to be able to land us a superstar, and if you have LeBron AND Davis, quality role players will be lining up to play with those guys IMO.

ElginTheGreat and raviator like this.
  17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Hmm... if the 3 kids includes Hart, I'm OK, but if they ask for Ingram, Kuzma, and Ball, that would require AD to sign an extension. It would be devastating if we lose those 3 AND we lose AD. We'd have an aging Lebron, a solid role player in Hart, and nothing else. That would be the equivalent of going back to the 2013 offseason.

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

well, we'd have lebron and a ton of cap space, which everyone tells me is GOLD. seriously, though: none of ingram/kuz/ball are future hofers, so i'm not super concerned if we lost them on a gamble for what is probably the league's best player in his prime. trade it all.

ElginTheGreat and Doc Brown like this.
  19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I'm not ready to write off our kids, especially Ingram and Ball who are still 21 years old. Add in Kuzma and that's overpaying in my book. Consider what the we got for Shaq or what Toronto paid for Kawhi.

20. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

My trade would be Ingram, Hart, Wagner plus 2 first round picks, get a 3rd team that really wants kcp and get another pick and a young player to package also to New Orleans.

Imagine

Rondo
    Zo
    Kuz
    LeBron
    AD

Then next year trying to add another Star