Anthony Davis Discussion: He's Back

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. pika1708

pika1708 - Rookie -

Wait, I wasn't saying that AD is not a better player.
    I'm saying pairing them and AD dominates the game and taking turns with Booker and at the end we have Booker closing

We don't need Luka or the best in NBA to continue to win. We have AD. We need a top10 player to pair with him and take over when AD doesn't deliver

On your analysis, good data. Funny that their PER is similar to Lillard and Harden at the same age. They may reach that level
    Got curious with Luka stats

TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers 6th Man -

Some great points here.

Booker seems to get separation through contact, he bumps you and then uses his great body control to get a quality look. But defenders with length or athleticism to recover give him trouble. And if his shot isn't falling, he lacks other ways to score.

Like you said this was a weak season. So many injuries; Murray, AD, Mike Conley, Kawhi, Harden, Irving,J aylen Brown, Trae Young and the disappearance of Ben Simmons.

To me, Luka is an enigma. He shouldn't be able to do what he does, he just puts people in a box on his hip and just hits Larry Bird shots over you the whole time and if you double him, he just sees over everyone and makes the right pass. I know he is as crafty as Steve Nash and strong like an Ox with elite size - but it still shouldn't be possible.

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Luka is fun to watch too. It almost feels like he's going in slow motion and then knocks down a stupid shot as if he is taunting the athletically superior defenders (and almost everyone that guards him is quicker and faster). It is a lot like Bird.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

luka's a savant. once-a-generation feel for the game. he's big, and he's more athletic than people think--he's got enough initial burst to get by even the best wing defenders, and he moves his feet pretty well defensively, too. it's like larry bird merged with jason kidd or something.

IE Lakers, svtzr, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  5. Chick the G.O.A.T.

Chick the G.O.A.T. - Rookie -

capital gains

I have to agree with this. I don't like the whole athleticism arguments half the time. Does a guy have to be able to do 360 windmill dunks to attain the title of athletic? Nash was sh-itted on too his entire career for not being "athletic" but his career speaks for itself. He was also a tremendous soccer/futbol player. I'd call that athletic and his career emboldens that further.

Luka has deceptive athleticism. He's big and clunky but you're absolutely right, he gets by great wing defenders time and time again. I mean look at the Claps series, PG3/Kawhi. Let's not forget Kawhi shut down Giannis when he was with the raps in that playoff series so the guy can guard much bigger offensive players and Doncic gave him and the rest of the Claps fits.

I don't think he's the most athletic guy in the league either, that's not what I'm saying at all but to say he isn't athletic is downright wrong.

I like your assessment of Mitchell too and I think he gets overlooked quite a bit because he plays in Utah. Athletic freak who's game has gotten better every year. He also has command of the game and doesn't shy away from any challenges on the court, he has the "it factor" and the proverbial dog in him.

I won't go into all the other players you guys were discussing but I'll make this comparison real quick. Tatum doesn't have have same drive as Booker, the tenacity or the level of I'm gonna do everything I can to will us to victory. Athleticism and overall better shot doesn't always equate to a better player, drive and determination have more to do with a player defining himself as top 10 when it comes to elite level talent which I believe both guys are. Booker has that drive and meaness to his game, I don't see that in Tatum nearly as much but Tatum by and large is more gifted.

TIME and abeer3 like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm not a tatum stan, but everything i've read says he works very hard. and i think the way he's stretched his range is at least somewhat of a testament to that. he also plays both ends of the floor, which is important to me.

7. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

If Booker has so much dog in him, why did he complain when he’s double teamed during a summer game? It was when he was younger but still. You get better by competition not guys take it it easy on you…..and since this is the Davis thread, please be healthy this year so we can win it all.

8. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers 6th Man -

His lack of playmaking really bothers me: puts up a ton of difficult shots. It's a big reason IMO that despite having tatum/brown which honestly most teams would love to have a duo like that they struggled last year.

They need a PG to really make that team work. It's an aesthetic thing: I just like the Lebron/Luka/Magic/Bird types

JohnnyComeLately2k6, abeer3 and TIME like this.
  9. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    That type is easy to like. Except for Bird. I never liked Bird. But I sure respected his game.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, he's not a point forward. but he's a bigger, more athletic, more defensively-interested version of booker. so he wins.

and AD is way better than any of them and boston was stupid not to put tatum on the table in trade talks for AD.

11. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

C Bags would have traded Tatum for AD if AD had promised he'd sign an extension.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, it was probably just posturing, but still...we didn't treat our young guys as untouchable for a player of AD's caliber, even in the press.

and ingram has shown to be pretty close to tatum, imo. if ingram had boston's supporting cast in the east the past couple years, there might be more buzz about him. but when AD became available, we were (wisely) like: here ya go!

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and TIME like this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers All Star -

Seems Klutch got AD a new trainer

tada, 432J, sirronstuff and 7 others like this.
  14. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

It has begun.....

tada, sirronstuff, TIME and 4 others like this.
  15. Chick the G.O.A.T.

capital gains

He has all the right people around him to help get him in the best shape possible to extend his career possible starting with LeBron. I mean I'd be all up in his crib taking notes on what he does to take care of his body as far as diet and training go. Obviously they're different body styles and LeBron is a genetic freak of nature but he's doing something right to be able to play at this high of a level this far into his career.

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, there's only so much you can do, but i'm glad he's trying new things.

big guys just don't tend to stay as healthy. maybe karl malone is the big exception? kareem? so many others regularly played shorter seasons and had shorter careers.

17. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

One is a physical specimen...the other is a fitness fanatic. Neither did Potato Chip commercials or roles in Cartoon flicks (Well, OK "Airplane" is a way better movie).

tada, IE Lakers, TIME and 2 others like this.
  18. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    If I was AD, I would be talking to Cap about what he did to improve his durability. Kareem came into the league lean and rail thin. He worked diligently on his base. He did a lot of out of the box stuff for his body like Jeet Kune Do training with Bruce Lee, Bikram (hot) yoga, and a weighted jump rope workout. But the big guy that defined durability was Wilt. Averaged over 48 minutes a game for a full season.

19. Chick the G.O.A.T.

capital gains

Just hope he doesn't ask Shaq LMAO

Cookie, LTLakerFan and TIME like this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Joe Biden’s Campaign Manager
    3 Robins on the team. We’re going to miss Caruso.

TIME likes this.