Anthony Davis Discussion: That's Why They Pay Me The Big Bucks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I think we have Elden 2.0:Rondonod::Dudleyshrug:got paid and never got up for a game again

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

3. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Strange thread because I cannot see this link in the forum. Hmmmm, not sure what is going on, thought it might be because I had blocked the person who started it, but that is not the case. I have no clue why I have not been able to see it in the forum posts list.

Anyway, is it obvious to everyone that AD is playing injured? At the end of the playoffs I read a comment from Lebron, (I think), that said his feet were completely black and blue and that he was having a hard time playing through the pain.

He did not have time to heal with the shortened off season and I believe he is playing very hobbled. He does not have the explosiveness he has in the past. I was wondering why they are playing him so much and I came to the conclusion that one, he wants to play and two, they want the team to be together at the beginning of the season so all these guys can learn to play together. Perhaps as they start to gel, if Davis is still hurting, they can rest him for awhile then. Perhaps his injuries are slowing healing as we go anyhow and he figures he can just play through it. I believe this is one of the reasons that Vogel has told him to shoot more 3's, besides the fact that he seems very good at them, the more he shoots them the better his % will be. ?????

I find myself a little worried about his legs and feet staying healthy.

Sorry if you have already talked about this, as I was not seeing the thread and have not had time to catch up.

Any thoughts?

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

he's definitely playing hurt, imo. his mobility on d isn't as good as usual, and i think it's why he's not driving or diving as much on offense. my dad thinks lebron's iron man mentality makes it so that AD feels like he needs to play unless he's really injured, but i don't know. i guess if he's not at risk for further injury, he's not so bad he's hurting us out there. in fact, he made several plays down the stretch on both ends to keep memphis at bay yesterday.

5. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    There is little doubt that he plays pretty good while injured. But, I wonder if he is going to need a rest somewhere along the way?

lakerjones likes this.
  6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

this is assertion was applicable to AD as a Pelican too, BI and pelicans will be in playoff race this yr baring injuries

7. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    They have to do this, don't know what else people want. 6-8 weeks to figure this out.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

You’re still on this?! AD was 3rd in the MVP race behind Harden and LeBron in 2018, the last full year he played with purpose for that team before wanting out. I had to sit and listen to you say over and over and over before we traded for AD that he wasn’t worth what we were going to have to offer because he’d never won in the playoffs before and wasn’t a winner that would make a big enough difference, all while I and others pointed out how ridiculously skilled he is on BOTH ends of the floor and he was just on a mediocre team. Then we win the title in his FIRST season here and he averages 25, 10.7, 3.2 ast, 2 blk, & 1.3 stls the Finals and you bring this up AGAIN? I love Ingram, but no, dude is not, and will never be Anthony Davis. AD was never fools gold, he was being wasted on a franchise whose owner puts most of their interests in their NFL team. BI is a good player, but he will likely only ever be 3rd best on a team capable of winning a title.

As for AD, this was his best move last night

9. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Meh. He's KAT at the small forward position.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yes because its what happened, AD didnt win anything as the GUY, can you say different to the contrary? Do we win anything with same team minus Lebron? I bring it up not to diss AD but to counter OX statement

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

But your argument was that AD wasn’t worth trading those kids for because he hadn’t won anything by himself yet... which is ridiculous. Nobody wins anything of note in the NBA by themselves, without at least a consistent all-star teammate (Holiday made one all-star team in his career, in the East), just doesn’t happen. Your argument was he wasn’t worth trading the kids for because he hadn’t “won anything”, as if taking a mediocre team to the 2nd round, reaching 3rd in MVP voting, and being a top 10 player at the very least is nothing, and that adding that caliber player to LeBron wouldn’t automatically put us in contention, which it did. You can change the argument up after the fact all you want, but that’s what you were arguing, there are receipts, time to just say “I was wrong” and move on.

12. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Sometimes people just have to admit they were wrong.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

well, they'll be in the playoff race with ingram as their second-best player and with an all-nba guy as their best player. when AD had an ingram level player, they were good, too.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

towns is substantially better than BI. and yes, same thing in that he's had trouble as the flagship guy. zion showed up and played, and NO got respectable. they were dog**** with BI as the top dog. these arguments were tiresome before, as weezy said, and they're ludicrous now.

not sure khmr made this argument in this thread, but i get your annoyance and why you'd assume that.

khmr was just trying to say that good players can be on bad teams, which is fine. but trying to equate it is where it's just...way off. AD is a hofer. ingram's a semi-star.

and again, check receipts: i said both things long before AD for BI was even a thought.

Khmrp likes this.
  15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i was wrong on that part, don't take my counter to ox as wishing for any 1 back or taking the trade back

Barnstable and Helljumper like this.
  16. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Yeah I don’t know who had what takes in the past, but I do disagree with Ox’s point. To hold the Pelican’s lack of playoff success in one season as some sort of indictment against Ingram is odd. He’s a 23 year old all star. Just because he didn’t win a championship in his first (incomplete) season where his co-star was injured for most of the year, doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have what it takes to win. That can’t be a serious basketball take, and bringing up AD’s lack of success in the past seems a valid counterpoint to this.

Feel like sometimes we do go too far in the other direction in praising our current team/AD, to crapping on everyone else. We got a top 5 player locked up for years, and he already won us a championship. We already won the trade. We don’t have to throw BI/Lonzo’s names in the dirt to make ourselves feel even better about the trade.

Wino, SamsonMiodek, tada and 2 others like this.
  17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Ingram is better than Zion currently

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  18. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    I say this with all affection Wino but maybe you need those larger fonts type of device, like those Reader's Digest big book for seniors:Carusohearthands:

19. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I already read it on my 65" television, or maybe it's just a 6.5" tv when I take the little blue pill. ????? No this is really strange because at one point, I marked this thread as one to watch and yet it also does not show up on my watched threads list. Despite the fact that there is still a lot of action in this thread it is not showing up on the forum for me. It does show up in my alerts section, now that I have posted here. Something weird in the code I think. Either that or that little blue pill is Fing with me?

20. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater