ALL Black Lives Matter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by John3:16, Jul 6, 2020.

1. AussieLaker87

AussieLaker87 - Rookie -

I paid approximately 20 Australian dollars to buy it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though, I personally thought they blew an opportunity to cover Dr Thomas Sowell a bit more.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  2. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

If you search for it, you can find it available for download. It's 'free' but it's up to you how you want to proceed with that. I have not watched it yet but have seen it available online.

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

This is going to sound crazy, but I don't pirate...like ever. Even back in the Napster days when everyone was doing it, I refused to steal other people's music.

Lakeshow85 and AussieLaker87 like this.
  4. BangBoomPow

Yup, understandable. I am the same way with books. That is why I asked if you were okay with it.

5. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

Yes.
    :This:

AussieLaker87 likes this.
  6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I want to learn this, can you explain to me what philosophies are these?

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  7. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

Only clips. Haven’t actually sat down and watched it fully. I’m going to though. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  8. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

Booker T. Washington’s philosophy was of self-help, racial solidarity and accommodation. He urged blacks to accept discrimination for the time being and concentrate on elevating themselves through hard work and material prosperity. He believed in education in the crafts, industrial and farming skills and the cultivation of the virtues of patience, enterprise and thrift. This, he said, would win the respect of whites and lead to African Americans being fully accepted as citizens and integrated into all strata of society.

Dubois’ philosophy and main goal was to have white people accept us through agitation and protest. Mainly through politics and activism. Dubois said Washington’s strategy would serve only to perpetuate white oppression. This belief flowed directly into the Civil Rights movement which began to develop in the 1950’s and exploded in the 1960’s and is very prevalent in today’s society.

If you ask most black conservatives/republicans to trace the origin of their viewpoints and beliefs, it would either knowingly or unknowingly point back to Booker T. Washington, as would a lot of the black Muslim and black independence movements. Alternatively, those who push civil rights, protest, and political activism, etc., would trace their origins back to Dubois.

The main similarity to both philosophies is the acceptance of white people.

Link: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/debate-w-e-b-du-bois-and-booker-t-washington/

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Thanks buddy

10. AussieLaker87

AussieLaker87 - Rookie -

I think hindsight proves Washington was right.

For my native/Indigenous Australian people, we took more of a Du Bois route towards civil rights (like African Americans) where we demanded a lot of rights for ourselves through politics and activism. I think we are still paying for having taken that route because we are stuck in a perpetual cycle of fighting and anger rather than enjoying life and capitalising on opportunities and freedoms.

Three unfortunate consequences I see of this were as follows (in Australia):

1 We demanded many rights in the civil rights struggle that we ended up taking for granted.
    (My people fought so hard for the right to vote, but now many of us are apathetic of our rights to vote as Australians and do not even care who is in charge... excluding the inclination to support candidates upholding a welfare state etc).

2 As opposed to enjoying civil rights, it is never enough and we want to find a new reason to fight and be angry.
    (It is not enough that we can vote because we now want something else such as a Treaty or a Bill of Rights, and when we get that, we want something else as if the others aren't adequate).

3 We insist on holding onto, or rewriting, our traditional cultures we lost at colonisation as if it makes us superior people to the British/Europeans that we possess something that are supposedly free of the genocide of British imperalism
    (We do this in spite in offering us no benefit to our families wellbeing/ income that we live in remote areas eating traditional food and talking traditional language. Not to mention, we were not exactly clean skins during tribal years where we were as violent as anybody else on the planet).

Instead of the aforementioned 3 points, we should have shown both the optimists and the pessimist white people that we could comfortable fit into the new world, and would be some of its better contributors. It would not have only been a good outcome for them, but an even better one for ourselves.

11. BangBoomPow

In my opinion, from what I've seen in traveling to four different continents, there is no better country for black people to succeed than America.

12. AussieLaker87

AussieLaker87 - Rookie -

The left always argue "but there is nothing wrong with striving for even better". While I agree, their policies have been shown to make things worse, not better.

13. Savory Griddles

Look no further than California. A state with abundant natural resources, the best weather on the planet, and some of the most intelligent people (IQ wise) on Earth is running itself into the ground. The California Exodus is real. It's not a smattering of isolated incidences or anecdotal stories. People are moving. People (myself included) who would never have dreamed of a day they would leave California are thinking long and hard about it. This is what happens when liberals are left to run wild with no checks or balances.

John3:16, Lakeshow85 and sirronstuff like this.
  14. BangBoomPow

You mean to tell me you don't enjoy the high taxes so you can live in a 600 sq ft home and outside, you have an amazing view of homeless people shooting up heroin and defecating in front of your home? That sounds racist, xenophobic, misogynist, etc., States like California or NY are only great if you are super super rich or poor. If you're middle-class, you get shafted by these states. The poor gets the government housing, medicaid, food stamps, and free government subsidies and the rich are too wealthy to not give a damn about what happens in the state. Meanwhile, the middle-class pay much more in taxes than they will ever receive back in government benefits. They have to get knee deep in debt to even think about buying a home. When they do buy a home, the government can't fund all the illegal immigrants so they increase property taxes every year because they need more Democrat voters.

You have to wonder how much more decent people will tolerate. Working from home has really exposed the concept that living the city life is worth it. In reality, people are sick of these leftist cities with government representatives who only know how to increase taxes so they can increase their voter base.

John3:16, Lakeshow85 and sirronstuff like this.
  15. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Not to mention everywhere you go is a freaking crowd, a freaking line, stopped traffic, circling parking lots to find a spot. I’m sick of it.

16. Savory Griddles

Fortunately I don't live in one of the areas being overrun with homeless people. I can't imagine living in a home that I spent a million dollars on only to look out my window and see homeless people drinking and shooting up in the street.

Lakeshow85 and Punk-101 like this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I left CA and never missed it. I left Texas to go to the Philippines, but wasn’t expecting to make it permanent “yet”

I miss being able to find most things in 3 stores, Amazon Prime shipping, fast internet and great infrastructure, but the reality is if I never come back, I won’t miss much.

I moved my business online and launching a couple of other ventures in the coming months. I don’t expect to take US retirement, been fortunate enough to have never taken public assistance, and don’t see much point in contributing further to a very broken system. I’m researching citizenship elsewhere. I would have never guessed I’d feel that way five years ago, but living abroad for a year really changed my perspective on life. Life is short. Might as well go where you can be happy.

18. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

^^That’s awesome man!

19. BangBoomPow

That is my plan as well. Get a few kids, retire comfortably when they are grown adults who can support themselves, and then move out somewhere to Southeast Asia. Cheap living and you can enjoy yourself.

Lakeshow85 and sirronstuff like this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030