Alex Caruso Discussion: That's BULL

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by alam1108, Jul 13, 2017.

1. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Not saying he would solve all our problems but he would have solved a lot of them. Half of our dozen guards would be rendered useless and those roster spots could have been used to fill other holes on the team... say wing size and small center.

TIME, Cookie, abeer3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

YAH!!!!!

BadCoaching and Cookie like this.
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. I came here to look at the Luke Walton thread after he was fired. Saw it, got angry and clicked on this thread. I need to stop.

LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Joe Biden’s Campaign Manager
    meh, he was here for quota and nothing more

we have our new token pale skin, we good

:Tabarnak:

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers All Star -

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers All Star -

Eagle really soared tonight

Weezy, sirronstuff, abeer3 and 4 others like this.
  7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

8. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

but for 3.5 million dollars less, we got a guy who a) isn't as good, b) isn't a great fit, and c) has played zero minutes over the first quarter of the season.

tada, KB24, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Joe Biden’s Campaign Manager
    seems like a good deal!

:ADeyeshift:

11. JSM

JSM - Lakers All Star -

Rob better make one hell of a trade chip out of Nunn. When the 15th rolls around, I want him being offered to every team for anyone who's between 6-6 and 6-8.

12. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Ok, Eagle or THT? Go...

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. LTLakerFan

Dude! You read my mind. I literally was coming here to finally say it. THT is only 21 and of course has like 5 more years to develop and likely become a more impactful player and all star at some point. Is how we always think of this choice between them.

But gawdamnit AC has more athleticism, more vertical and plays the game so well now both sides of the ball and with such intelligence and energy that he’s just a joy to watch. And he’s just entering his own prime and still getting better. THT may never catch him and be as impactful. That’s possible too, though unlikely, I guess. Even if and when he does I love watching AC as a fan MORE now and indefinitely into the future with them both continuing to improve their own particular skill sets. In hindsight having to make a choice between them I would have kept AC instead. He’s a better basketball player until THT proves otherwise. AC is more exciting as well with the plays he makes both sides of the ball and with his better vertical. The vertical is my observation. AC is an inch taller but THT has him with those freak arms. To me AC gets noticeably higher consistently over the rim on dunks.

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers All Star -

Win now: AC
    Higher ceiling: THT by a mile
    Higher floor: AC
    Smarter: AC
    D: AC
    Fit: AC
    Scoring: THT
    Potential: THT
    Trade Value: THT

I think AC is who he is and that's a key supporting piece on a championship team as a starter or first guard off the bench. I think he's reached his ceiling and that's fine, he should sustain this level for another 7 years or so.

But the Lakers are betting on THT being a top 3 player and a star on a championship team in the next 2-3 years. I don't know if he can get there and I don't think we'll know until at least the midway point of next year. It's tough to compare until we see who THT is going to be. Then we can fairly debate this one and the Lowry deal, as well.

15. LTLakerFan

Just checked and AC is 27 and closer to 28. They're only listing him at 6'4" and 186. 3 pt % back down to 33% range for now. JSM makes good points. I got carried away simply from the fan's joy perspective watching of how each plays the game NOW. Bottom line we should have kept both and for the window of LeBron they would have gotten more out of AC if they kept him. But as he says, higher ceiling, scoring, potential and trade value are all on THT's side.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

We could of had BOTH and that is what makes the whole thing so stupid.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i agree with the assessment, especially trade value. as the market indicated, opposing gms can't seem to wrap their head around AC's impact. it's sort of an indictment of their evaluations, imo. everybody wants the home run and most go down swinging instead of get on base.

anyway, yes, the obvious answer is BOTH. and the only thing that will make me stop whining about it is if we win a title without him here. 10 years from now i'll be after pelinka like frank costanza after steinbrenner.

[​IMG]

18. LTLakerFan

19. LTLakerFan

We could have had all damn 3 of them …. think about THAT! Since these decisions happened after draft night.

The Eagle! THT! Austin Reaves! Our perimeter D going forward …..

:Mindblown:

abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  20. pika1708

pika1708 - Rookie -

I don't think the problem was THT. The problem was Westbrook. If you get a 40m+ player, you can't have multiple getting 10m+. Plus, AC plays the same position than Westbrook. If they were to play together, you would have to bench THT.
    The 5 per salary would be: Russ, AC, THT, Lebron and AD. There's no shooting, we couldn't sustain that lineup. So among the 3, there's no space for one of them. You can even argue there's no space for THT if he plays together with Russ and Lebron.

I think it was due to bad timing and place. As soon as they pulled the trigger on Russ, Caruso was gone.

Then, just yesterday I watched a few minutes of the Bulls game. If you have a Caruso in your roster, you nurture him and make sure his space in the team is untouched. He's so smart. He makes a ton of plays that don't come in the stats. Just in a 2min span, he battles a off reb and makes the opponent player throw the ball out of bounds. Then he knocks the ball off LaMelo's hands and gets an offensive foul. Just smart play, defense and winning actions. Caruso will win more championships in his career, I'm pretty sure about that.

Russ is the reason. So blame Lebron. Blame the FO. I hate this mf idea of big 3s and just filling the roster with names that make social media go crazy. Caruso is a closing lineup player of ANY team. Westbrook is a great player for non-contender teams. Bahhhh

It's odd that veteran guys and GMs like Lebron and Pelinka still make dumb mistakes you would expect to see by other franchises like Knicks, Sixers or Clippers. Defense and chemistry are probably among the top 3 conditions to win a chip. And you throw that away in exchange of talent over fit. When did that work? I mean, c'mon...