A Little Perspective On Religion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by Barnstable, Oct 1, 2014.

1. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

I would pretty much agree with that, but yes, I do think that bibles were actually meant to be taken literally. We have to remember that these were written so long ago with many less technological and scientific advances. But obviously, today, it's much harder to take them literally. (And yes, literal interpretation would discredit pretty much every holy book, which is why I don't believe in any holy book around today. I consider myself agnostic.)

So I'll follow up with this: How else can the violent promotions in the Qu'ran be taken? Can a Muslim just pick and choose the passages they like, and ignore these ones?

Finwë and TIME like this.
  2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Good question.

I would say I as a non believer don't have the insight into the teachings of the Quran to decide. But what we all do is bring our own perceptions of religion into our evaluations. So consider that maybe a moderate Muslim might believe the Quran as gods ultimate word, but that it's evident that some passages were more important than others. That's just a supposition, but it illustrates that we don't really know what they think unless we talk to a Muslim person and get their take on it.

TIME likes this.
  3. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I think yall might be misunderstanding what is meant when someone says they take the scriptures literal. It does not mean I interpret them like a small child or drax the destroyer from GotG, eg I take everything as being surface value. It does mean that the reader takes into account vital characteristics of the literature such as genre, historical setting,author, purpose, audience, when and where its written from, use of literary devices such as but not limited to hyperbole, satire, poetry, allegory, etc etc.

For example, when Jesus instructs his followers to pluck out their eyeballs or cut off their hands to avoid sinning Drax assumes he meant people to remove their eyes and hands. Someone who interprets the scriptures literally would start from the position that Christ literally existed and literally said those things and use those tools listed above to determine what he meant.

this process and art of interpreting literature of any kind is called hermeneutics, and it along with most analytical arts seem to have been forgotten by the western world...

4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

While I absolutely understand the points being made in this thread, I find them much too academic to be really applicable.

Yes, judging the teaching by the actions of followers, who are a heterogenous group, naturally, is incorrect. Yes, one that judges rarely conveys a proper statistical analysis on how natural the exibited behavior is for the teaching. Yes, the aforementioned observer influence (so, socio-economical position of the observer, for instance) is inescapable.

Buy that is how we, humans, perceive life and society. Through the glasses stained with personal experience, ingrained prejudices and stereotypes.

5. Barnstable

But objectivity is to strive to minimize letting our own prejudices and personal experiences dominate our perceptions. Above all, know thyself.

We have the capability to look deeper and analyze while recognizing how some of our own experiences color our perception.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    TIME and trodgers like this.
  6. ZenMaster

We - may have. Most - don't. And most is what matters.

7. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I'd hire you as a motivational speaker :)

Seriously, if that were my view, I wouldn't teach and the world would be deprived of one of the finest teachers in human history.

TIME, Barnstable and Kingsama like this.
  8. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I was clearly joking - but lots of good teachers teach because they think they can make a difference.

9. ZenMaster

Them the apples, T. I didn't mean to sound arrogant, but the facts of life are on my side. The majority rarely takes the time to, as Time put it,

trodgers likes this.
  10. ZenMaster

Also, we weren't talking about whether it is worth it to teach ghm... the teaching to the masses. It is.

We were talking about the perception that those masses form, and it absolutely isn't based on research or some education.

Media, prejudice, bad neighbor, bully in school. Your pick.

11. Barnstable

But education about a topic influences that as well. Just look at all the misconceptions once held about women, different ethnicities, and gays for instance. It's not perfect, but things have become better for all those groups in large part because some people were willing to look deeper into the topic than the surface rhetoric and rumors, and those people strived to get the message out there to the masses.

It always starts with a conversation like this, trying to understand the truth of the matter, then information disseminates, then attitudes change.

12. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I think this is where we differ, you are looking at what defines the masses perception of things, I am looking at what the actual definition of those things are. In the end I would never say ignore the masses, but I would say never be fooled into thinking that what "they" perceive to be true is actually true. Using Islam for example. The Western Masses seem to think its religion full of blood thirsty, the extremist masses think it teaches to blow people up for not being like you(and that its ok to rape lil boys), the moderate mulsim masses think its a religion of peace. The masses of the middle east seem to think its somewhere in the middle... So which is it? At that point to discover what the teachings of Islam really are you must look at the works of Mohammed and the history surrounding those writings.
    Otherwise we are simply excepting critical thinking that is based on sway of the masses. If we do that we cannot stand and say this is right and that is wrong. As the masses change we are merely victims to it...

FreeThePeople likes this.
  13. Barnstable

But in doing that, you have already decided that Mohammad is the most important thing to look at. Muslims might not feel that way. For instance, its my understanding that Muhammad was not mentioned that much in the Qur'an, so what if most Muslims believe the Qur'an is gods word and Muhammad is a very important aspect, but not more important that the overall message of the Qur'an?

14. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Mohammed recorded the Qur'an and is viewed as the highest prophet is Islam. The first pillar of Islam is Shahada aka faith and it is written as There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet.

15. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I'm not a Muslim, but I have spent a lot of time studying Islam and reading about Muslims from a Muslim perspective. Muhammad is absolutely critically important to Muslims. There is no Qur'an apart from Muhammad.

16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    "The actual definition" of those things is a metaphysical fact (if there is an actual definition; there might not be; see below). As finite beings we have to address those things from somewhere - through our lens if you're keen on hermeneutics. When even experts disagree about many issues, it's hard to know what "the actual definition" is. Once we start insisting on THE right view, we become Chauvinistic about the view - and it closes off valuable avenues of inquiry.

I'm a scholar of ancient philosophy, but I disagree with lots of people who are also scholars. I don't always think they're wrong, and I'm certain I can come to know more about Aristotle and Plato. But I read those texts in Greek, and I read differing viewpoints on what's going on in those texts, and I don't know that there's one interpretation of Aristotle that is Aristotle's - because he lived a life, and our views change over time. So I'm not wedded to one interpretation; I see being wedded to one interpretation as anathema to inquiry.

It doesn't matter for my purposes whether Aristotle was right, because even if he's wrong, I can be right. Biblical interpreters have no such recourse. The text and its authors have to be correct. Good luck with that, I say.

Finwë and Barnstable like this.
  17. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Rodgers, I get where you are coming from, and there certainly exists even in Christianity wonderful discussions as to what the "authors intent" really was, as well as who the author might be, and of course the entire field of textual criticism. But their is still a defined sandbox where those sometimes wildly different viewpoint are in play. And there is very much a boundary where once you cross it you are no longer talking about Christianity because you have left orthodoxy. For instance you may have a different take on platonic thought, but you still understand it through certain schema that are representative of what Plato taught vs what Aristotle or even Kant thought. There exists these frameworks that we all work within when discussing philosophy, religion, business, or even basketball...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    trodgers likes this.
  18. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I agree with all that, but I'm also of the opinion that Islam isn't violent by its very nature (or it is - and so is Christianity), and people who self-identify as Muslim aren't violent by their nature (or they are - and so are Christians). It's shocking to hear Islam denigrated when Christianity has a textual history of violence, of oppression of women, and a track record in the real world of violence and oppression of women.

I'm not sure how to sever one link without severing the other. Personally, I have nothing in the debate. I'd also like for everyone to be judged not by their religion but by what they do.

Finwë, FreeThePeople and Barnstable like this.
  19. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

As I mentioned earlier I do not know whether or not Islam is inherently violent, from the little I have looked at text from the Qur'an and the life of Mohammed there appears to be violence, but I am not very educated on the subject and therefor am not able to accurately speak on it.

And I agree, we all to often pigeon hole people because of labels and that is wrong. People should be measured by action, not preconceived notions based on labels.

20. Barnstable

The example I gave above was just a for instance example of how Islam might view things differently. Like I said before I don't really know myself, but just suggesting that we don't know enough to rule out every possible way an outsider might not understand how Muslims view Muhammad and Islam.