2024 Summer League

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Jun 28, 2024.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

ok, watched the first game (because i apparently hate my eyes), and i have thoughts:

knecht: box score probably looked terrible, but i thought he looked very good, tbh. had a couple near misses, but his shot just looks like it's going in. got to his spots without trouble, and most importantly for me--he made several very good passes/reads. not sure if any went for assists, but they were just the right play to the right spot. maybe forced one shot, but generally just let the game come to him. thought it was a strong outing. still concerned about on-ball defense, but hoop iq is there on both ends.

bronny: his on-ball defense wasn't great, which is concerning. his off-ball defense was pretty good, and he navigated screens pretty well, but his guy could get a step. his shot isn't as pretty as knecht's, but it's not as ugly as the results. he has good balance, good arc, and he generally doesn't miss left or right. for whatever reason, he just misses everything, though. he also missed a few easy reads, missing knecht for open shots on a couple of them. he's got a long way to go.

lewis: just a really slithery athlete with good scoring instincts. but he doesn't make plays for others, and his defense both on and off the ball isn't something you can put into an nba game right now.

castleton: he should be further along and dominating this level of competition, but he's not. had one nice looking three, one nice drive, one nice block, but several botched drives and passes and some guys just going over and around him pretty easily. he's not ready, imo, and i'm starting to doubt he will be.

hinson: swider. boy can he shoot and boy can he not do a single other thing. out of position all over the place, slow feet. really nice shot, though. not enough, imo.

traore: actually loved him. not sure what his role is in the nba, but he looks like kind of a turiaf/najera/garbajosa hybrid, and i can dig that. don't think we can really use him this year, but this guy could do some foreign league damage, imo.

kuhse: buy me a jersey! when he came in, i'm like who's mr. clean over here? is he bob cousy's grandson? no. but he's tj mcconnell's brother or something. and maybe tj mcconnell is some sort of weird fluke, but i love him as a backup pg, and this guy reminds me so much of him. not much of an athlete, but strong and always in the right place, hyper aggressive and decisive on both ends. he should be in the nba, imo.

no one else on our side was worth discussing, imo. sean east was meh, and it seemed like the coaching staff was also like...why give this guy kuhse's minutes ever? there was also a random white guy who looked and played like he wandered in from the stands and some other guard who moved and shot like a pf.

for sac, they clearly had two guys who could fill it up in that davis character and arms. what a name. adonis arms. anyway, he was on a heater, but i'm not sure his or davis's game translates to the big leagues. but we had no answer for either at any point, and that was the game.

are there better things to do with my time? yes. but i watched this game and now i have inflicted my opinions thereof upon thee.

Cookie, LakeShowAZ, pika1708 and 6 others like this.
  2. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Bronny: He’s got a loooooooong developmental cycle to turn into an NBA player. I was hoping he could stand out in one aspect of the game…
    Knecht: bad shooting night and not really playing with anyone who can get him shots
    Lewis: Good on offense as a scorer, but really needs to improve his defense.
    Castleton: I’m expecting much more from him in year two.

Cookie, Juronimo and LakeShowAZ like this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Both our rookies had the butterflies. Bronny admitted he did during post-game.

Knecht looked good. I thought he'd take more shots. He was the man in college, I'd be curious to see him try to be the man out there against this level of competition to see where he's at. He'll get better looks when the offense and teammate spacing/ movement is the real roster and not these guys.

Bronny: shot looked fine even though they couldn't find the bottom of the net. Want to see him drive more, his one decisive drive looked good and he immediately got back and broke up the play defensively. I didn't know defensive awareness on the passing lanes could be passed down from one generation to the next, but he's proof it can. That was his defensive strength today. Given his build, he shouldn't be able to get moved off his spot as easily by the offensive player's off arm. Not sure how much is stance or base, but that'll need some work.

Lewis: drives looked like mini-BI without the 12 foot wingspan. Very comfortable and confident out there. But yeah... Defense is bad. Still looks like the guy who nearly gave the game away to the Wizards. Maybe 1 more year till he's ready if he fully commits himself to defense this year.

Castleton: 3...I like! What's his real weight? If it's 250 where is it? He gets moved out of the way every time I see him against any big with any bulk to him. Still looks like a 4th string C.

Hinson: weird seeing a sniper with that size and frame. Holy s*** his defense is bad. He was 2 ½ steps behind every drive.

Traore and Kuhse: both had really good motors and game engagement. Both looked like guys who you just know will find a bench role in the league for awhile after grinding it out on the come up.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
    Cookie, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

BTW .... we do it again today at 3:30 Pacific against Golden State.

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

NBA TV. here's the full slate

Cookie, lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I guess our summer league teams are just destined to always suck haha. I get that it’s summer league, but we always seem to be like a small college program vs the big boys out there, not very organized, feels like we don’t really care that much about this part of the season.

Cookie, pika1708, JSM and 1 other person like this.
  7. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

We suck badly. Goodness. LOL.

Cookie and ElginTheGreat like this.
  8. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. We looked like an unorganized mess to me. I tapped out pretty early on that one. Lol

VladeD714 likes this.
  9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I think this pretty much sums it up. I don’t know about in Vegas, but for this summer league run it’s clear we really don’t care much, which isn’t a big deal I guess, but it makes for awful games, hard to take away a whole lot on the players based on that

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, didn't see this one, but glad someone else saw something in traore. again, don't see the current fit on the roster, but in the game i saw, he stood out as a guy who could find ways to get on an nba court.

Cookie and ElginTheGreat like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

He looks decently quick laterally on D with his good size and strength. He’s a 2-Way too so if he can be any kind of decent offense and defense combo player he should get some looks during the season.

Cookie likes this.
  12. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

We bad, damn!!!

We need to do something about Lewis, he's taking a roster spot

Cookie likes this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

My God this team is awful!

I get why. We don't have a top end guard to organize, don't have a go to option to get a bucket and everyone on the roster's ceiling is role player (maybe Connect4 is higher but that's dependent on teammates/flow/spacing).

Lewis struggled against bigger more aggressive defense.

Knecht's shot still looks good even though they're not falling. Still looks to be taking what he's given.

Castleton with a double double. Didn't seem like it during the game. Did look better than he did last night since GS didn't have a big who had the mass than Sac did. No 3 tries tonight. Looks comfortable handling the ball. Had one nice take it all the way and finish in traffic play

Traore's motor continues to go. Needs to work on the 3 ball, at least for the corner shot to be in his shot diet.

Hinson had 5 attempts in the first quarter (I think). Catch ball. Shoot ball. Talked a little more about him in his thread. If his 3 can stick, there's a nba job at some point somewhere for him, but he's got to do SOMETHING else to even if he's not good at it. Right now he's getting an F for effort for all things not being a chuckster 3 point shooting tweener. I have no clue how he ended up with 5 rebounds. Did the Grizz statistician work this game?

Rest of the team isn't with mentioning. Kuhse did a fine enough job organizing. Had a couple standout defensive sequences, but nothing else.

Cookie, abeer3, ElginTheGreat and 3 others like this.
  14. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Half the Lakers roster is a disaster. There are 7 players that will be on the roster that do not belong in the NBA or are 10-12 players on a roster.

15. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

This one was ugly- I got bored and got caught up on my war news and just listened to the remainder of the game in the background.

Cookie and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

was wondering why devin carter was on neither sac summer league team, and it's because he's having shoulder surgery?

17. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

For a team that is supposedly all about player development, this summer league team looks ROUGH.

Juronimo, alam1108 and Cookie like this.
  18. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I was looking forward to summer league. After the last 2 games I’m starting to dread it.

FrontOfJersey22, JSM and Kenzo like this.
  19. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah he's injured and won't play Summer League
    Well, there's A LOT to develop in each of these guys
    Same

abeer3, alam1108 and Cookie like this.
  20. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Someone hacked my account... on top of that, he (hacker) is a moron and knows nothing about basketball :D