2024 Draft Prospects Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 2, 2024.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    you're so positive it's sickening sometimes

:Kobepuking:

We just got gentleman swept in the first round, and we're thinking of taking a star's scrub kid way before we should in the draft. Nothing to be so damn happy about.

:Lebronsmoking::Kareemlook:

KareemtheGreat33 and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

3. LTLakerFan

I wanted idiot LaVar's kids to do well too with and in spite of the baggage and target on their backs he gave them.

sirronstuff and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    That’s why I love LT…. He provides ammunition for me to roast him later in the season:Laugh:

5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Interesting...

CHICAGO — The horde of reporters arrived before Bronny James did. They enveloped his podium on the second floor of the Marriott Marquis, crowding into a corner of a ballroom here as they waited to hear from the most famous prospect in the 2024 NBA Draft.

James’ draft status is uncertain, but his name and that of his father — LeBron James — is well-known. While just a few scattered media members interviewed the other 10 prospects in the room, a league official led Bronny to his seat at the center of the awaiting mass.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Clear a path,” she yelled.

Bronny is now trying to create one of his own as the son of the world’s most famous basketball player. He arrived in Chicago this week under a microscope.

He was the 17th-ranked recruit in his high school class, but after a difficult freshman year at USC he is trying to prove that he not only deserves a spot in the NBA but to be drafted. He is also trying to get out from under his father’s shadow. LeBron has already said he wants to play with his son when he gets to the league.

Bronny is just trying to get there.

“My dream has always just been to put my name out, make a name for myself, and, of course, get to the NBA,” he said. “Which is what everyone’s end goal is here. I’ve never thought about playing with my dad, but of course he’s brought it up a couple of times.”

Bronny came to Chicago with all that following him, as he undergoes in-person scrutiny from NBA teams for the first time.

He participated in drills Monday and played in the five-on-five scrimmages Tuesday. He measured in at 6-foot-1.5 without shoes but with a 6-7.25 wingspan. He posted the sixth-best max vertical leap and tied for the 11th-best standing vertical.

Bronny missed 6 of 8 shots during the Tuesday scrimmage and scored four points, while also grabbing four rebounds and two steals in nearly 20 minutes.

The testing was a strong start to the week, though the shooting struggles reflected his uneven college performance. He averaged just 4.8 points per game and shot 36.6 percent from the field in his sole season at USC.

ADVERTISEMENT

It is the latest test for Bronny after a tumultuous year in which he faced a significant health scare. He went into cardiac arrest last July and collapsed during a team practice. He recovered and recuperated and played in 25 games at USC.

Bronny is still affected by that July experience. The fear of that day has not left him, even if he has decided to keep playing.

“It’s still lingering,” he said. “I feel like my parents were a big factor in believing in me and giving me the love and affection that I needed at that time. But I still think about everything that could happen. I just love the game so much.”

(Photo: Kirby Lee / USA Today)
    Now, Bronny will enter the draft under the burden of his and his father’s name. LeBron’s open desire to play with his son will cloud Bronny’s draft process and where he might go in the draft itself.

There is already speculation among opposing team officials about whether the Los Angeles Lakers would draft Bronny to unite father and son. They own the Nos. 17 and 55 picks. There is also speculation about whether another team would draft Bronny, whether as a pathway to try to acquire LeBron or do it to make life hard on the Lakers.

Bronny does not seem overly concerned about if he would be selected as an extension of his father. He believes he will be picked on his own merits. That is what he has worked for to this point, and what he still hopes to prove to teams.

“This is a serious business and I don’t feel like there would be a thought of ‘I’m just drafting this kid just because I’m going to get his dad,’” he said. “I don’t think a GM would really allow that. I’ve never really thought about that. I’ve put in the work and I would get drafted because of not only the player but the person that I am.”

Bronny hopes to enter the NBA as a supporting player. He said he wants to fit whatever niche a team is looking for from him.

ADVERTISEMENT

He pointed to Davion Mitchell, Jrue Holiday and Derrick White as models of players he watches and hopes to emulate because of their ability to identify and excel in their roles. Defense and shooting are his calling cards at this stage in his career.

But he already faces a scrutiny far greater than most NBA players. He faced the media Tuesday grateful for his chance to impress NBA teams but admitting that the cameras and attention that has followed him over the last half-decade has been, he said, “a lot.”

That has forced him to get accustomed to the spotlight, even if he conceded that it has put a pressure on him that no one else in this draft class has encountered.

“But I don’t wanna be that guy and say that all this pressure is what’s causing me to not perform as well as I want to,” he said. “It’s a lot but it’s something I gotta deal with.”

Bronny has largely allowed his game to speak for him. He did not talk to media during his year at USC and has rarely been in front of a microphone. This week, he will have to answer questions from team officials during the NBA Draft Combine’s routine interview process.

He will take visits to team facilities and undergo more testing and workouts. During it all, he hopes to drive home a point to the teams considering whether to take him in the draft.

“That I’m a genuine person,” he said. “I’ve got a lot of lessons from my mom, my dad. But also putting that Bronny James narrative out there more instead of just being LeBron James’ son – I think that’s really important to me.

Required reading
    What we learned — and didn’t — about Bronny James on Day 1 of the NBA Draft Combine
    Bronny James expected to stay in 2024 NBA Draft: Sources
    Breaking down Bronny James’ game, NBA Draft stock and other decisions that lie ahead
    (Photo: Jeff Haynes / NBAE via Getty Images)

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    We wasted a 1st round pick on JHS, might as well waste it on Bronny…:Laugh:

7. LTLakerFan

8. LTLakerFan

:Kobe Snickering:

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

agree with bronny here. the media has pushed this narrative either out of stupidity or the need for clicks, but using a draft pick to spite the lakers or because you think it will convince lebron to take a huge paycut to join your team is the sort of thing that gets you fired. fans think it would be awesome trolling or strategy or whatever, but it's dumb. if someone drafts him, they want him. if we draft him, it will be based on his father's input as a (for better or worse) trusted voice within the organization.

melton went 46 and had similarly meh to bad college stats at the same school. gpII had better college stats and went undrafted. i think bronny's in our range.

Slick2021, ElginTheGreat and JSM like this.
  10. Slick2021

Putting the basketball aside for a brief second, I'm just rooting for the kid to be happy.

That young man suffered a cardiac arrest, and he could have died. That hits home hard, as a parent and grandparent. Read his words, he still thinks about that ,it's always going to be in his head.

Add that to the pressure, glare, spotlight, whatever you want to call it, of being the son of a GOAT. Trying to pursue his own dream of playing in the NBA. ( I truly hope that, this IS his dream)

From the outside, folks can say, his dad is a billionaire, he doesn't ever have to even get a job, in his lifetime, if he doesn't want to. He could immerse himself, in learning his pop's off court endeavors, to be groomed, to one day take them over.

Yet he chose this path, knowing that all the doubts, skepticism, and what not, are absolutely coming with it, because his dad is Lebron James.

I just hope that, this is truly what he wants,and he's not pursuing this, because this is his father's dream. He says that's not the case,and I'll take him at his word. I hope he makes it, whether it's here, or somewhere else.

Good luck to him, God bless

11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

12. LTLakerFan

:Laugh:

Slick2021 likes this.
  13. LTLakerFan

No s*** Sherlock :clap: :rofl:

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

3 way tie for leading scorer

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Regarding the 17th pick courtesy of Garcia

He has writeups for each of those guys, but closes the piece with the above quoted paragraphs. I'm going to keep beating three Carter drum as well until we trade the pick or draft someone else.

abeer3 likes this.
  17. LTLakerFan

:LLLLLebronlaughing: .... that look. Rob must be laying a parable on him. ;)

[​IMG]

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  18. Slick2021

"A 3&D wing, the size of a PG"? A super Pat Bev clone, this Carter kid? Eh..

19. LTLakerFan

Super fast though.

20. Slick2021

So we potentially come out of the draft with two 6'2 defensive minded guards? IDK man.

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.