2024 Draft Prospects Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 2, 2024.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    NO will probably gamble next year that our pick will give them a shot at Cooper Flagg… and I won’t blame them

abeer3 likes this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

absolutely. we could also win three more games and they get the 24th pick next year instead of the 15th pick this year. but tbh, the historic difference in quality there is low. jhs is far from the only 17 pick to not be better than many guys taken after him; it's actually quite common. so yeah, looking at the landscape in the west with only two tanking teams, you have to believe you can do better than this, and skipping this year can't do much worse.

my repeated contention is that if having this year's first rounder helps us make a trade this summer that enhances our fortunes, NO might have a tinge of regret for a couple reasons.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  3. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

So this is the thread to follow now or is it too soon yet?

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Can we make a trade deal time frame OK wise with this year’s pick included?

abeer3 likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not sure exactly what you mean, but NO has to make the choice prior to the draft, so assuming they defer, we have it to add to draft night trades (after the pick is made, techincally).

if they surprise me and take this year's pick, it does nothing. it can't free up the 2025 pick for trade because we'd be out a 1st in consecutive drafts. our other trades have been made with the idea that they'd be taking one of them anyway (hence 26 never being in play), and 27 is gone, so 26 and 28 are also out.

in short, if i'm correct in my reading, we probably just prefer to keep it this year, as NO prefers to test their luck next year. win/win.

6. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

This year our Jalen hasn't worked out. He was what? One of five Jalens taken in the first two rounds? Maybe JH-S has what it takes and we're just not a good fit for numerous reason, but we must take the bull by the tail and look the facts in the face: maybe this time around we got a bum Jalen/Jaylen/Jaylin, etc.

Just stick with me here, this is brilliant: All we really need to begin another three-peat run is the correct number of Jalens on the team. Good Jalens. You know the kinds of Jalens I'm talkin' about.

When building a team - and Rob Pelinka, if you're reading? This is for you, so listen up - just disregard all other data and, in a variation on an old "draft pick" philosophy of picking "the best athlete available": just pick the best Jalens and be done with it: if you have the right Jalens they will sort themselves out, rise to the top, become starters eventually, and some will be solid role players while others will eventually get HoF votes.

You're welcome.

My point: my gawd there are a lotta Jalens out there. Some Kobes, too, if you look. But the Jalen trade should be next-level coming up, so head's up!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    abeer3 likes this.
  7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Give this one a read. Great breakdown on all things Bronny.

I didn't realize the how much was involved in the Fitness-to-Play Panel. Really good, honest scouting assessment in the piece as well.

Personally, I value defense from role players much more than offense. You can find instant offense anywhere, there's 10 poor man's Lou Williams waiting on the couch. If you have a guard with NBA ready defense on day one, sign me up. I think offense can come over time but defense is effort and that effort often can translate over to the other side of the ball to at least be passable.

As long as he has a second round price tag, sign me up. If that's the path, Klutch should be able to navigate a friendly enough selection range by scaring off some teams. So if you do have to move up in the round, you're not paying out the nose for the 31st pick.

You also have to factor in that it's getting you the most invested version of LBJ which has had ups and downs throughout the regular season, as expected at this age. He said watching his son play in college reinvigorated him... what do you think having him on the bench, in the locker room, on the bus, plane, film room, practice court and in sparse scenarios on the court with him would do for Bron's level of engagement?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  8. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    It’s something

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Jonathan Givony and Jeremy Woo posted their latest mock for ESPN Insider

11. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Eeewww. Duke.

abeer3 likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

don't know a ton about filipowski, but i haven't liked what i've seen from him. if our scouts are in, ok, i guess. i don't see it right now.

52years likes this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I haven't been all that impressed with the little I watched of him. I do like the idea of looking at a big man though.

Speaking of big men, they don't get much bigger than Edey and is projected one pick earlier. He's HUGE and I'm all in on getting 250+lb bigs in the building this summer.

On the guard front, Devin Carter is slotted one pick later in the mock. I mentioned earlier I like Carter's defense a lot, depending on what we do with our current guards this summer.

They've got McCullar 21st. I like his defense at the wing, at age 23 he's more of a play now option too.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, there are a few bigs slotted around where we pick. assuming we keep it (still doubting it), that may be the way to go. i just don't like filipowski. maybe i look dumb later. i didn't love olynyk in the draft, either, and he's been a solid 10-year pro.

carter and mccullar are guys who looked like potential pros on film to me, too.

JSM likes this.
  15. 52years

52years - Rookie -

If they keep the pick Ware is the big man I would take.He has the modern NBA game and could really benefit learning from AD

16. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    Where are we in the draft? Too many tied teams

17. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    This looks a big man draft

18. 52years

52years - Rookie -

19 I believe

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

That sentence too long to type without abbreviation, or something a little more important at work required your sudden attention?

:Laugh:

:Fishwink:

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  20. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    :Laugh: I’m missing words like “like” because after the JHS fiasco I don’t like the draft NOW

LTLakerFan likes this.