2024 Draft Prospects Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 2, 2024.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Some rumors and tidbits in their latest mock...

- Carter going 11 to Chicago. Rumor he has a promise there if still on the board
    - TDS 15 to Miami

-Topic dropping all the way to 19 with his injury

- Cam Christie shooting up to 20. Cavs apparently high on him.

-Edey going 21st

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    TIME and abeer3 like this.
  2. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Carter and Caruso together? Maybe they'll deal him if they draft Carter. Every contending team should be ready to pull the trigger on Caruso when Chicago lowers their demands. I see him as a lineup lock in a contender for the next 5 years

I wouldn't pass on Edey or Topic if they're available on our pick. We should use this mid 1st rounders for guys with higher ceiling. It's the only way they can crack the rotation if we want to keep competing

TIME and abeer3 like this.
  3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

Would the Lakers targeting Carter basically be an admission that the JHS pick last year was a bust?

CarolinaLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

They admitted that as soon as they threw him in every offer they had out there at the trade deadline. Passing on Carter if they had the chance to get him (and I don't think we will at this point, unfortunately) would be doubling down on the dumb.

I have no idea what they're doing. I don't think they do either. That would be a nightmare of a guard duo to score against. I've seen a couple rumors saying that if PG leaves the Clipps, they'll target DD in a S&T to replace him.

Topic was top 5 before the injury. If the medicals come back with no long term issues, you definitely grab him.

And Edey I'd take over Missi. If we have Missi higher on our board, I'm concerned.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, as i said yesterday, if topic drops to 17, you just take him and mothball him.

need to see more tape on missi, but the early stuff i've seen i don't love.

if you go back a few pages you'll see me wondering whether jhs would have looked like carter had he stayed in school for two more years. i get that carter is supposed to be a far superior athlete, but i'm not positive on that from what i've seen. and yes, i'd like to move up to get him anyway.

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Want to see just how all over the place the evaluations are one week out from the draft?

Both of these two mocks came out today and both factor in what they're hearing around the league

abeer3 likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

the one has both topic and holland on the board when we pick. whitmore do-overs!

8. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    What is the difference between Edey and Clingan? Why is Clingan considered a better prospect by a mile and competes for the top 3 pick, while Edey is late 1st round to a 2nd rounder.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Clingans are great warriors on Star Trek if I remember right. They were always flying their vessels around your anus.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    upload_2024-6-18_11-15-46.jpeg

11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Wharf (sp?) was a badarse

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i was asking this a while back, and the best i can tell is that clingan is supposedly more mobile. i think he's considered a walker kessler, while edey is considered a bigger luka garza/smaller yao ming.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...edey-nba-mock-drafts/1a3b2afcf96a64d649994133

this guy claims clingan can pass, too. i never saw him do much there, but i trust these guys who watch them all the time.

the main thing is the mobility. we just saw the C Bags smallball it all the way to a title. can you make them pay with a post presence? if embiid can't beat boston, how can zach edey do it?

i'd probably have clingan higher on my list, but it wouldn't shock me if some other rando center we haven't heard of or who is less touted (missi, ware, etc.) ends up better than either.

it's getting really tough to project that position, imo. i mean, steven adams and valanciunas are still useful nba players. we would have killed for a freaking mason plumlee last year! zubac has been a mainstay in a top nba team's starting lineup for 5 years. meanwhile, james wiseman has never found his footing.

neither edey nor clingan is likely to be as good as lively, who went 12th last year.

TIME and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Check this two parter out

-TDS draws Kuz lite comp
    - Garcia likes Holmes a lot, I've seen elsewhere some think he can have a Naz Reid type role
    - Some good stuff on Edey, Missi, and Ware. As noted in the pod, Missi hasn't been playing hoops for very long. Ware has similar upside and concerns that WCS had.
    - they all 3 really like Bronny. Darius throws out an AC comp.

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

interesting he likes holmes. i only saw a bit of him in college but thought he was an undersized center. good motor and agility, but just not big enough to play that position in the pros. don't recall three point range there, either.

i'll try to listen some later...

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

abeer3 likes this.
  16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Klutch is applying whatever pressure it can to dissuade other teams. Is picking Bronny earlier than he should likely go, based on current basketball resume and size with current skills, for the "other" reasons out there .... worth pissing off one of the now major NBA player agencies?

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

eh, if lebron/klutch were stronger in their messaging that lebron isn't going where his son is drafted, they wouldn't have to be hiding him, pre-draft.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

I'm rocking with big Zach myself. You can't teach size, and he's shown great durability, in college to boot. With all these skinny "athletes " at 5 today, it would be an advantage for us, to be able to put that kind of size out on the court, with or without AD. We have 4 or 5 guys right now, that can play 4. It opens up a lot of lineup possibilities, he's at the very least, a lob threat, you have to keep attached to him, in the paint at that size, that's another method of providing spacing.

I'd move up to get him too, it's not just, that he's the best player, in our draft range, that we may be able to land, it's the fit, short and long-term, that puts him at the top of my list.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
    CarolinaLakerFan and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

I like him as a long term replacement for AD. But I doubt the Lakers would want to trade AD and jeopardize their relationship with Klutch. Together with AD, Edey is unfortunately a clunky fit. I prefer Devin Carter. Edey vs. Carter kind of gives me Okafor vs. Dlo vibes. I know this is not a popular comparison these days, but Dlo has carved out a very good career as an NBA player, while Okafor was a bust.

20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Are you saying Andrea Hurley doesn’t know what she’s talking about? ….. errrr never mind just killin’ time waiting to see what scramblin’ Rob comes up with for a coach and in the draft.

:Addrinking: