2024 Draft Prospects Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 2, 2024.

1. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

I agree with this. I could see where the Lakers were going with the JHS pick. They were concerned with the weak defensive backcourt of Reaves and Russell. The problem is, the guy still needs to be able to shoot the three ball, and it would help if he was athletic. JHS doesn't help in those two areas. Somebody like Devin Carter is a high-level defender (potentially NBA all-defensive level). Carter is also very athletic, and has a high motor. Carter has a weird looking shot, but he has a quick release, and a beautiful arc on his shot. His vertical also helps him with his shot. He has turned himself into a very good three-point shooter at 38% on almost 7 attempts per game. This is the type of point guard you want if you are going to stick with Austin Reaves at shooting guard. This is a player that I would trade up for. Dude is kind of like Westbrook with all NBA defense and a jump shot. A rare combination of skills if you will. If Lakers really like this guy, I would go as far to add a future protected first.

pika1708, JSM, abeer3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

jhs's three was looking solid in the g league before he got hurt, and yes, carter is maybe the kind of the guy the lakers were hoping they got in jhs.

and i agree that if our scouts thought he was worth it, a future top-10 protected pick could be added to make it happen.

3. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

That is encouraging to hear about JHS. Maybe we could still have something with him. Hopefully he could bounce back from the injury. Danny Ainge has made comments about the value of the Lakers future draft picks, and we have traded with Utah in the past. I wonder if they would be interested in swapping #10 for #17, JHS, and a top 4 protected 2029 1st?

abeer3 likes this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

some rumors say carter won't get past the spurs at 8. and top-4 protected is getting a little rich for my blood here.

honestly, like last year, a few guys that interest me (kyshawn george, ryan dunn, jamal shead, scheierman, djurisic) look to be slipping into the second round, so trading down to a team with multiple seconds would be ok with me.

i'm also watching to see if nikola topic stays in the draft after the acl injury. if he slipped to 17, it might make sense to just take a gamble there.

5. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

That list is mostly one-way players. We need to try and find players who could play both sides of the ball (including three-point shooting). Kyshawn George might have the best potential as a two-way player with shooting, but he is also very green and is a point-forward. Dunn is a better Vanderbilt type, Shead is a good defender, but is small and cant shoot, Scheirman could shoot, but lacks foot speed on defense, and Djurisic is another point-forward, who may be able to defend but hasn't shown he could shoot yet. We already have a bunch of one-way players: Vandy (defense only), Hach (offense only), Lewis at this point (only offense), Vincent (defense only), Reddish (defense only), Wood (offense only), Russell (offense only), Reaves (mostly offense), Lebron at this point (mostly offense), Hayes (limited on both sides). Only two-way players are AD, Max, and potentially JHS.

pika1708 likes this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

7. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

Makes a ton of sense. As I stated earlier, Carter is the type of guard you put next to Reaves. Lakers would have a backcourt with a combined salary of only 17 million or so for the next couple years. Excellent productivity-to-cost ratio. That is how Rob should look at things moving forward into the new CBA. As far as bigs are concerned, I am not sure who they would want. Clingan wouldn't fit with AD. Maybe they want one of the shooting bigs in the top 3? Missi?

abeer3 likes this.
  8. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

Carter would also fit well with Russell in the backcourt.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Great take, agree completely, especially in the pairing with Reaves that it hasn't been addressed (maybe Vincent was with that idea?). That's why I'm so high on Dejounte, he's a perfect complementv to Austin for the future too.
    You're really high on Carter and funny that a report saying the same just came up. Was it you?
    I'm down to trade up but not sure what suitors we have. And makes sense for San Antonio to draft him at 8, they lack a PG and if he's that good, he'll be a menace with Wemby on his back. It's hard to get a pick before that, I think only Houston may look to sell their 3rd, and price would be too high. Then you have Utah with #10 that you mentioned, and Chicago (nobody knows with them), OKC and Sac with #11 to #13 that may be looking to win now. But you would have to send an established player to OKC or Sac, don't think we have what they want.
    I think even trading a protected pick can harm us because of the Stepien Rule, we would need to wait 2 more years to have 3 picks again, which is the minimum price for a star (that we can couple with swaps). But I also think the next star is likely not available in the next 2 years and such a gamble might be worthy for the right guy. It also meets the likely LeBron new contract.

This off-season will be funny to follow, lots of moving pieces.
    We may also trade up to secure Edey if we liked him enough

10. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

No it wasn't me, but I'm sure the Lakers front office is on LB :Pelinka Double Thumbs Up:

11. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

This guy Carter just looks like the real deal. He may move up to the point where he is out of our reach, but with that being said, I would move Austin for him. Carter is not a project. He is 22 already and his dad is Anthony Carter, he could help right away. Carter is the ideal point guard to place next to a poor defensive unathletic guard, like Dlo or Reaves. So theoretically, Lakers could keep Dlo if Reaves is traded. Carter would also be just fine next to a guard like Gary Trent Jr. for example. Lakers also could go with a Carter/Max backcourt. Additionally, with a defensive dynamo like Carter, Lakers don't have to worry about the other guard being a defender. One way offensive players like that come a dime a dozen.

12. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

Last season the Lakers stated that they were looking for quickness and athleticism in the backcourt. Devin Carter is the epitome of that.

13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

So here's where it gets interesting. One rumor floated around has been SA's 4 + 8 for 1. Risacher and Sarr (projected 1 & 2) are both French, so maybe that's something Wemby would push for. If Hawks do that depending on what they do with Trae and Murray, draft could get kinda funky.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Luckily there's a bunch of teams with more picks than they're keeping this year.

Knicks: 24, 25, 38
    SA: currently has 4 picks, can you get 35th?
    Portland has 4 picks too. 34th or 40th gettable?
    Indy: 36, 49, 50. How about 36?

abeer3 likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, it's the second round, bro.

16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

So not Bronny. Cool, thanks.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

I like DaSilva, but we already have too many 4s. We need a 3 that we could wedge between Lebron and AD. People still keep envisioning Lebron as a 3, even though he is now a 4, and should be there for the remainder of his career. AD is obviously a 5.

abeer3 likes this.
  18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Per Stein: If we don't take Bronny, Mavs are interested at 58

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I hope no other team jacks this up for us in getting Bronny that is beyond maybe a reasonable low key deal with the Lakers talking them out of it.

20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month