2024 Draft Prospects Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

we should've taken a 3/D wing last draft, gg(was actually mocked to be drafted by lakers) or whitmore

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Watkins workout

Last edited: May 31, 2024
    Khmrp and abeer3 like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

reminds me a bit of our man stan johnson.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

abeer3 likes this.
  5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    The slow release always plays well in the pros

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

^^^ coupled with the low release and four inch rise on the Js when you're 6'3".

sirronstuff likes this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Was Ball Sr his coach. Not even sure if I want to see his pullups.

:Magicwow4:

8. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

He averaged 5ppg in college. He's not a draft pick. If he was Johnny James nobody would talk about him

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  9. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Not as solid. Or thick.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i believe i posted deanthony melton's similar stats (for the same program) a few pages back. he was drafted in the 40s (projected 1st round).

11. pika1708

Melton averaged 8pts, 5rebs,4 asts, 2stls, 1blk.
    Bronny avg 5pts,3rebs,2asts,1stl,0blks

It's really not comparable, he basically averages HALF of Melton's stats

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he played 2/3 the minutes, too. the per-40 stats were similar. melton had better advanced numbers, but these are similarly-sized players with similar skill sets. one was coming off a heart attack and is the son of one of the greatest players ever.

he's definitely draftable.

LTLakerFan and wallangong like this.
  13. pika1708

Lol damn man, good spin per-40 Drummond is the best center of the NBA, that's just not how you rank players.

Yes they are similarly built, but Melton is better.
    Bronny is an undersized combo guard that can't orchestrate the offense nor shoot, he's like a poor Gabe Vincent at best. He'll be unplayable in the NBA for at least 2 seasons, until he can at least shoot well enough to stay on the floor while getting his body ready to be a factor on defense.

I'm fine in drafting him late in the draft, but to say he deserves it is not fair to all the other John Doe's who are actually better than him

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

you're pretty confident. we'll see if all the other second rounders are so much better (and immediately playable!).

15. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Is it spin, or it just how the NBA draft works? The majority of the NBA draft is based on what teams think you’ll become, not what you’ve done. Looking at the scoring leaders in college last year, the majority will never play an NBA game. Thats not unfair, it’s just the reality that certain skills translate better to the big leagues than others.

I’d say it’s a fairly reasonable conclusion for a team to look at Bronny and think he could potentially develop to fill a Melton role, that’s worth a flyer in the 2nd round. And so what if he has to sit for a couple years? If you’re drafting a 2nd rounder with the expectation he will play right away, your team is awful anyway.

LTLakerFan, JSM and abeer3 like this.
  16. pika1708

I'm not saying he will not become an NBA player.
    My only argument is that he's only on the block because he's Lebron's son. Abeer was saying he deserves it and is a legit pick and I was arguing the opposite. I think to say that is unfair to all the other kids who are better than him but are sons of plumbers and lawyers nobody knows.

If I'm a GM I'm definitely using a draft pick on him, purely on marketing. I mean for a full day everyone talked he was 2nd on the shooting contest that day. Nobody knows the name of the first one.

Summer league will be all Bronny, likely more than #1 pick. I imagine the usual #1 vs #2 pick game will have less views that Bronny's games. Same for preseason and first NBA game, if he makes it. This is great for franchises that barely make national media coverage, it's great for sponsorship deals, ads and all of that.

If my tier 1 list (on the pick my team has) is all picked, I'm going with Bronny. I imagine this starts to happen in late 1st round where teams start to miss more than they get it right

17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I understand where you're coming from. But it completely discounts the legitimate plusses on Bronny's side being taught and prepared for the NBA game mentally and physically from one of the greatest players in the history of the sport. Same as GiGi was getting from Kobe. IMO that's huge. Not the fault of the sons of plumbers and lawyers who also will find the road to NBA success tough when they're ranked that low in the 2nd round, but they DON'T have that going for them. And can't discount how HUGE the heart problem plus medical procedure and rehab was in negatively impacting what he was able to do in his one and done college career. How does anyone (here we go again) know he's NOT going to be able to shoot? Last few weeks under the pressure of the combine and team workouts, same pace as EVERYONE else, say differently. In spite of low % just in the first scrimmage. 2nd scrimmage was in the needed % range and tied for high score in it. Ridiculously small samples anyway.

JSM and abeer3 like this.
  18. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

For me, because he missed so much time, it’s really hard to project what he will be. Those of us who think he’s just “meh” are going off what we have witnessed.
    I will be rooting for the kid to succeed, but with low expectations.
    If he becomes a good role player and plays for 12 seasons, then great!

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

to be clear, i'm not projecting anything great for bronny. just saying people with his profile have had success. lots of others with similar profiles haven't.

the big plus in his favor to me is that he's had eyes on him for years, and nobody has anything bad to say about him. character is a big part of the difference between success and failure at this level, imo.

ricky davis and stephen jackson weren't THAT much less talented than kobe and tmac. i mean, they were, but they also didn't have the dedication/work ethic, especially early in their careers.

freakin' tj mcconnell has been playing an important role on a conference finalist! intangibles matter, and they're hard to evaluate at this stage, but i feel like the word on bronny is he's got the ethic/personality to succeed.

Kenzo, JSM and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Well..Shaq, Jordan and Pippen, had sons that hooped. Nobody drafted any of them due their their father's name. Somehow..this is considered to be a given with Bronny.

A tad bit, of some low key, Lebron hating, going on here, beneath the surface , IMO.