2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Sorry these replies are out of order, I missed this when seeing the Hartenstein news. I think we just disagree here, it’s not wise to coast and try to mask the playoffs at the end, the play-in is going to get us at some point if we do that, it’s best to have your team know what it is from the start. If the goal is championship, which again the FO and JJ are saying it is, not me, I have said all offseason this team isn’t a title team (hell, I said it before the playoffs too, 7 seeds don’t win titles), then moves need to be made, and we need to go into the season mostly complete and knowing what we have, IMO. It’s rare that a title team makes meaningful additions at the deadline, like championship swaying moves, I would have to guess without looking that most teams who win it all are what they are except for small additions (small trade, buyout market) before the season starts. I will agree that Rui, Gabe and Vando’s value CAN go up though, it can hardly go down in Gabe’s case.

2. The Laker Link 3.0

The Laker Link 3.0 - Rookie -

Carvana/ADESA
    We all agree that 2 is stupid. Just have to see if someone wants to do a 3-Team and get then it’s just 1 First per team.

Cookie likes this.
  3. Weezy

This is is the most Tobias Harris thing Tobias Harris could have possibly done.

JSM, SamsonMiodek, TIME and 7 others like this.
  4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    He may go down as one of the wealthiest unloved basketball players in the history of the NBA.

career earnings of nearly 250 mil before this contract

[​IMG]

Now he'll be up to 300 millions

and nobody loves him

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

first, i specifically said not to throw tomatoes at me.

i think when you're gambling on health already, gambling on health more is ok by me. i mean, people want to bring in a 34 year old klay or 34 year old derozan. you banking on those guys being more available over the next two years than a 28 year old lavine? maybe. derozan's been an iron man of late, but again, he's going to be 35. i'm very wary of picking up guys in their mid-30s. things start falling apart and quickly. at least with lavine, there's reasonable hope of recovery--kd had the same injury and returned just fine. i'd assume we did our homework here if we traded for him.

if we pick up a first for lavine, we have even more to work with, and this won't be like russ in that the entire roster won't be vet mins outside of the big three. we can preserve reaves and at least one if not both of vando and gabe. having extra firsts and a few 10 million dollar deals hanging around can get you the secondary pieces like caruso when they become available.

i feel like we'd be buying low on lavine. we bought high on westbrook. we'd be giving up two role players that disappointed in the playoffs instead of helped us win a ring. we'd be getting a pick instead of giving one up, and we'd be getting a young player who fits instead of an old one who doesn't.

Barnstable likes this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

lol yes.

KareemtheGreat33 and lakerjones like this.
  7. Weezy

:Laugh:

Also, crap, I forgot they got Caruso, they’re going to be a major problem, start the rebuild Rob!

JSM, TIME, sirronstuff and 4 others like this.
  8. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

DD with Bron and AD is too much people in the paint/mid J area. It's true Bron is better at the 3 but when he has the ball, DD is not a threat. Same when AD has the ball. I think it's an odd fit that brings more issues that solutions. Klay is a much better fit in that perspective
    Yeah, they learned with AD. Apparently we didn't lol we should have gotten Valanciunas
    I think you have our team with a bigger floor than I do. Imagine you're the GM, do all the moves you want (and reasonable) and give me a roster that's top 3 in the West.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

okc should be the favorite for the #1 seed again. come playoffs, i still think luka or ant could knock them off.

10. Weezy

I didn’t throw tomatoes, I love tomatoes too much to waste any, I have some growing at home that are just turning red now, amazing. But seriously, you know what, you kind of sold me on LaVine, damn. Gained a pick, still have Reaves and one of Rui or Vando, huge expiring when he’s done.. But no, I also do not want Klay or DeRozan, for a 1 year deal sure, but not with like a 3 year MLE type thing that’s being given out currently, hell no.

abeer3 likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, this was why i asked about what it means to improve the roster earlier--i can't think of a way to get to top 3 on paper right now, and i know we won't blow it up until next year at the earliest, so you just have to do the best with what you've got.

and i agree that going into the season knowing you'll want to make trades in february is bad. i just think it's better than making bad moves in july.

Cookie and pika1708 like this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think lavine is an all-in move for right now that doesn't absolutely murder us later. it's like beal for phx if he didn't cost picks.

and if we don't go for lavine, i'm guessing that would mean lebron and AD didn't believe in that, so that's ok by me. i just feel like it's a solid fit now that the price has come way down.

Barnstable and Weezy like this.
  13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Nobody is garunteed, to be top 3 in the West period. There hasn't been a single team, to even make it to back to back, Conference Finals, since Golden State with KD. That's a nonsensical reason to stand pat, hey...we might not have a top 3 roster in the West anyway!

Dingle berries (Ox..most likely)

14. The Laker Link 3.0

The Laker Link 3.0 - Rookie -

Carvana/ADESA
    So, what about DeMar, Cam Johnson, Grant, and Buddy Heild?

trade DLO for Cam and whoever for Grant.

Does that work better or nah?

I only throw in Heild since he could be a good Minimum and probably a good Bench player with whoever doesn’t start between Reaves and any newcomers.

now my brain is just trying to come up with ulterior options.

abeer3 likes this.
  15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Reaves,Lebron, Grant, AD and Capela..that's as good, as any starting 5 in the Western Conference. Grant can guard 2-4, Lebron is basically, a big a** guard on offense. Demar can be your scorer off the bench.

16. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Scratch Buddy

17. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  18. Weezy

I really hope he’s just talking about the MLE here, if we do some kind of sign and trade for Klay and pay him more than that… just please don’t, stop taking roster advice from Bron, that’s how we got Russ. For the MLE, couple years, fine, I’ll live with it, but not for assets

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

that person has called several things over the past several months it seems?

anyway, IF lebron really took a huge cut AND klay took the mle here over more money in dallas, then we'd still have all our trade pieces that we're discussing elsewhere. that would be pretty nice.

Cookie and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  20. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags