2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

So can I assume we would be promising, barring injury, that Klay starts for the 3 years he wants? Though by late this year or next it's clear one or more of the young guys are better suited for it with Redick's utilization having really done well for their games? Reaves, Knecht, maybe even Max ..... both sides of the ball. Primarily thinking the next 2 years after this year? We seem loaded with wings now ..... get us the 5 muscle guy with some skills. Though I will give Rob credit ..... he has to have this as a priority this season and his moves typically come out of nowhere in the press ..... even with Anthony Irwin biting at his ankles weekly like some annoying little s*** dog. No offense to fans of little s*** dogs everywhere. ;) :giggle:

2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

3. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
  4. LTLakerFan

Not sold on Klay being our pressing need at all with what he have on the roster now but gave it a like for Pops overtly rooting for his kid to join up too.

Cookie and ZenMaster like this.
  5. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

Im starting to get pumped up about Klay! So, who would be the fifth starter? It would seem we need a defensive guy that could defend point guards. Who do the Lakers go with here? Vando, Max, Vincent, Dinwiddie? Or trade for somebody here? Dlo would not make sense here, so he would have to come off the bench or get traded.

abeer3 likes this.
  6. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Oh, FFS, not this again.

Klay does nothing for us. Bron, AD, Klay, AR, DLO lol...

Poor AD, having to play D for 4.5 people.

Cookie, Barnstable and sirronstuff like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think dlo, rui, gabe, vando, jhs, etc. become possible trade pieces for a pg who can defend and/or a big who can defend.

it's possible to find these, and yes, maybe easier to just go directly after them.

honestly, though--if this gets lebron to buy in so much that he takes a big paycut to make it happen, i like the general vibes around it. klay's going to be super motivated wherever he lands, too.

8. ZenMaster

I want to be optimistic, but Klay is not the/a solution.

sirronstuff likes this.
  9. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Has anyone mentioned klay as a mentor to Dalton? Perfect prototype on offense and maybe some tips defensively.

Barnstable, abeer3, TIME and 4 others like this.
  10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

Who would you rather spend the MLE on if not Klay?

Kobe Bryant 8 likes this.
  11. ZenMaster

BTW... small highjack for the bizarre news of the day.

Matt Barnes twin sons play HS basketball. Their team is coached by Derek Fisher.

Yes, Matt comes to the games.

Yes, they are Gloria's sons. The same Gloria that Fisher was bumping uglies with.

Cookie, Juronimo, Barnstable and 3 others like this.
  12. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Talk about awkward :D
    I hope they're good, Lakers bound ;)

Cookie, LTLakerFan and ZenMaster like this.
  13. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I don’t think anyone thinks/expects Klay to be the only offseason move. We literally don’t have enough roster spots to sign him and re-sign Max. But if we’re talking about who to sign with the NTPMLE he’s pretty clearly the best realistic option.

Valanciunas is a pretty good fit next to AD, but we don’t want AD playing that many minutes at the 4 in the first place. And lineups with Valanciunas at the 5 with no AD are going to be pretty dismal defensively. There’s zero chance Harden takes a NTPMLE, he cares about money far and away more than anything. After that it’s guys like DJJ, Tobias, Melton, etc. that were worse players than Klay last season.

14. ZenMaster

A big. The fact that there may be slim pickings shouldn't result in bringing more redundancy.

It is not dissimilar to having money to buy a dryer, but because there is no one you can afford on the market you buy another washing machine instead, in case the other breaks, the new one works better or you would be able to sell one of them.

Dumb.

Cookie likes this.
  15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    That’s what their fight was about. DFish didn’t tell him and put the kids in an awkward situation.

looks like they are past it now, but bro code was broken, and now DFish is coaching high school

Toneloc and abeer3 like this.
  16. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

The Lakers were one of the worst 3 point shooting teams last season and I think Klay helps that. A guy that still shoots 40% from 3 willing to take the mid level when guys like Obi Toppin and Richaun Holmes are getting more is great productivity for the value you are paying.

Valencunias may be the one big we might be able to get at the MLE but if we can’t get him, would you rather spend the MLE on Mo Wagner or Andre Drummond instead? The list of free agent bigs is frankly pretty bad.

I just don’t understand why some of you would say thanks but no thanks if Klay says he’s willing to take the MLE. There is nobody out there that would make this team better than Klay would.

abeer3 and alam1108 like this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Next...

SHOOTING GUARDS

To follow along:
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/_/year/2024/position/sg/sort/contract_value

It's top end or nothing, we've got too much invested unless you're getting an upgrade as a starting SG. Here's a category where I don't see us thinning out the position either. If we don't trade for a starting level upgrade, we're fully committed to Austin at the spot. At the backup spot we really like Max and plan to increase his role and we just drafted Knecht.

Tier 1

1) Klay: seems to be priory 1 for us... for better or worse. Don't love the fit, it can work but Rob has just as much if not more roster moves to make afterwards to make it balance.

2) Har(d)en:
    [​IMG]
    I can't. Luckily I think there's a zero % chance he'd take the NTPMLE, it doesn't fit within his lifestyle and dietary requirements...cause he's fat.

The-they'll cost more than they're worth to us

3) Trent Jr: he'll cost too much. We can't get the NTPMLE without Bron's help and I don't see him doing that for GT.

4) Hield: I expect Rob to ask Bron if he fits as the "impact player" he's looking for. Answer is no.

5) Harris: cost too much and doesn't move the needle considering the positional competition.

Min Options

6) Fournier: I think he's better than numbers the past couple years suggest. He looked good against Team USA while Thibs refused to play him. Is he ready to accept a minimum? Going from over $18m to that is rough to swallow, but that's where he's at and at that price, I think he's a value. We don't have the space but if we did, I'd be interested.

The-Return

7) LW4: think that bridge is deep fried.

The-I've-been-linked-to-LA-for-a-decade-minimum-option

8) Eric Gordon: meh

18. LTLakerFan

:No2: ..... you are the first. Good point.

[​IMG]

Punk-101 and sirronstuff like this.
  19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    But not for 3-4 years. That seems foolish. Unless team options!

LTLakerFan likes this.
  20. ZenMaster

I don't know where you get your stats, but the Lakers were 8th by 3pt % last season. We were 28th in total attempts, but again, we had 5 players shooting 40%. If Pimple wasn't a moron, he'd get them a couple of more shots.

Cookie, LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.