2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    You’re making me realize that “Lebron taking a paycut to open up the MLE” might not mean “Lebron will take a ~$16M paycut to open up the MLE with the roster as currently constructed”.

It could mean “IF the Lakers first clear enough salary to be within striking distance of the MLE (by dumping rotation players) THEN Lebron might take a very small paycut to clear the difference and open up the MLE”.

That scenario just to sign Klay would definitely be a disaster

But I really don’t get that sense from the reporting. Klutch has emphasized that Lebron’s focus is improving the roster. I know LeGM has demonstrated bad judgement when it’s come to roster construction, but I have to imagine that he knows that straight up dumping DLo or Rui just to sign Klay isn’t a big roster improvement.

My cynicism towards Lebron’s paycut is moreso that maybe they already have the sense that Rob WON’T be able to acquire the kind of MLE target that Lebron wants. So this story is just a pre-emptive cover to deflect from possible criticism Lebron will face after signing the max. “Well Lebron would have taken a paycut to help improve the roster, it just didn’t work out”

But the reporting and specific names like Klay and Valanciunas make me feel there is no way Lebron can now backtrack and refuse to take the paycut if a player of that caliber made it clear they’d be willing to sign for the MLE

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

gotcha. hey, if lebron actually takes the big cut, i won't be mad when he starts b****ing at the deadline again. at least he will have literally put his money where his mouth is this time. really annoyed me last year with that s***. you're making 50 million, bro--you fix it.

edit: btw, i also just don't believe that klay leaves the warriors for the mle--that they'd allow it to happen. i know, respect and all, but again, they offered 24 per for two years last year. you're going to let him walk for nothing after that? they (and klay) will want the S&T. and then we lose trade assets.

Toneloc, Cookie and Helljumper like this.
  3. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

@Helljumper that's exactly right. Great job and well stated. It isn't like GS would do anything to help facilitate an S&T to enhance his earning potential with the Lakers? Maybe I eat my words, but I highly doubt it.

Let's see what happens...

abeer3 and Helljumper like this.
  4. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

What's if it's not about the money now with Thompson?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 4:23 AM
    KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  5. 52years

52years - Rookie -

IMO Klay would do better here than the last couple years in GS.He would have two offensive players with gravity instead of one to enable him to not work as hard to get open which would help his defense

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

We’d be all in with the nepotism this year with Klay’s Pops being part of our radio team and past player. All about family with these Lakers.

:Laugh:

7. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Damn right.

I can't wait until we trade Reaves for Young.

:LLLLLebronlaughing:

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:ADnaughty: …. not happening :D

VladeD714 likes this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

10. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Now that everyone but Lebron, is locked in, TB, Rui and, say Reddish and Hayes, gets us in Trae Young territory. Young and Valenucius at the MLE...That's not a terrible idea.

Or throw In Gabe instead of the minimums, that's more than enough for Young. Have to keep JHS, and expect some improvement.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 11:26 PM
    Helljumper likes this.
  11. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

That isn't a good deal, IMO.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 10:16 PM
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Latest from Stein

PG and Philly

Mavs want Klay and to keep Jones, Naji in the mix if Jones leaves

Magic like PG or Hartenstein and KCP

DeRozan likely waiting on the PG situation to play out

Clippers and Spurs mentored as possible spots for CP

abeer3 and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It’s kind of wild to me that DeRozan wants to make the most money possible and have as many shots as possible going into the season at age 35, over taking a bit less to try to win a chip, but hey at least he’s honest about it I guess. You would think even taking the MLE here would be an option this late in the game, but I guess not if he’s waiting for whoever has the money after PG is signed.

Cookie, Pioneer10 and abeer3 like this.
  14. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

CPDirty and Westbrick together on the Flippers??
    Oh man, that’s a powder keg I need to see!

Juronimo likes this.
  15. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

16. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Not sure who TB is, but yeah with the DLo opt in it occurred to me that trading for Trae Young might not “gut the roster” the way I initially assumed.

DLo, Rui, and Gabe is enough to match Trae, and it helps to consolidate the roster. Of course we’d have to throw in some draft assets, but seemingly less than some of the other marquee trade targets.

So the idea of being able to get Trae, keep AR/Vando/Knecht/Christie, etc and then ALSO have the MLE to spend after a Lebron paycut… that’s actually pretty intriguing

17. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I’m not sure why everyone’s so down on Klay, he is still a terrific shooter. And he’ll try hard on defence, maybe he can’t be the POA defender he use to be, but he’ll rotate properly.

We could do worse.

18. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I do agree with this. With the current roster situation, we actually could trade for Trae, get some star power, simplify the roster depth (for the better) and stay quite relevant next year. I would not be opposed to that now that I think about it.

Dlo I actually like and he's a great regular season guy who plays a lot of minutes; however, it is obvious that he can be played off the floor in the playoffs due to his lack of quickness and general athleticism. I don't even think it's his fault, really. It is what it is.

Rui is solid and useful, but if Vando is healthy -- and if we move Wood back to the PF position where he clearly belongs, there is no particular reason for him to be on the team.

We have Jax to throw in if necessary, Cam is completely expendable now after our great draft... if we also get the MLE this offseason for a quality big, we're cooking. Bron can make this happen. If he does, he's a true Laker legend, LOL.

Barnstable, Helljumper and Slick2021 like this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Next FA position

SMALL FORWARDS

If you want to follow along at home:
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/_/year/2024/position/sf/sort/contract_value

There's quite a few guys here that interest me and should be able to nab at least one of them. What are we looking for though? You want a two way wing, for an impact one you got to make a trade. After we get past the top 2, my targets are cheap guys who can maybe give you two shifts/15 minutes.

What are we doing here? I don't anticipate a great opportunity for the below guys because either Rui and Vando are there, the elusive 3&D wing we're out there looking for eats the minutes, or we're trying to get extra minutes for Max, Knecht or Austin here.

First let's get these two out of the way:

Do not under any circumstance, for any price want A)Miles Bridges. Don't want the team to associate with that kind of person. B) Caleb Martin. Heat injury reasons.

Tier 1

1. DeMar DeRozan: not a great fit, but i bet if Klay doesn't come here that's the next wing name on Bron's list. DeRozan is already outside Bron's window with a boombox

2. Tobias Harris (they had him listed as a PF on their list, but here he'd be a SF): at $36m annually he's awful and overpaid but at nearly 1/3 of that i think he becomes a value. Not a two way guy either, but like I said you're not getting that at an impact level via FA. Would require thinning out the depth at the position.

TPMLE GROUP

3. Saddiq Bey: young, two way player. Defense is inconsistent but it's there. He can shoot. Starter level player. Double digit scorer. Good build. Curious about his price. TPMLE? Don't think he'll be on our radar though.

4. Naji Marshall: good defender. Offense and shot are both a little inconsistent. Buried in the depth chart, so I think he's capable of more than he's currently doing. Mavs are interested if they can't secure Jones so he's on the radar of teams and someone else will likely scoop him up.

Young, limited vet min with upside

5. Lamar Stevens: good physical defender. Can rebound well. Can't shoot.

6. K-Mart Jr: super athletic, can play for defense but is inconsistent. Good rebounder when he gets decent minutes. Can't shoot. Hasn't looked nearly as good since leaving Houston and hasn't been able to find consistent minutes.

The old vets

7. Nicolas Batum: useful versatility and veteran presence. can hit a shot still. Question is he ready to play 2 out of every 6 games? He hasn't had to do that yet, so is he willing to accept age and NBA mortality?

8. Marcus Morris: same role as Kief. Enforcer but with better offense. Should've been on he PF list.

Barnstable, Cookie, alam1108 and 2 others like this.
  20. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    It's gameday, folks. Strap in.

There's nothing like opening day of NBA free agency.