2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I think it’s actually two firsts. This years pick AND 2029. No word on protections on 2029 yet but if it’s unprotected that could be a really good pick. AND Brogdon who could probably be flipped to a contender for more assets

Yeah the market is crazy right now, I would be surprised if Rob is able to pull anything off

abeer3 and 432J like this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Top two picks from France. With Wemby, I suppose this means their National Team will be on the rise

3. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

teams just hoping these tall lanky guys from france end up being the next wemby

ZenMaster likes this.
  4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Gone are the days where we can fleece teams

5. Holleewood

Holleewood - Rookie -

Wizards also get two 2nds. Wizards get the least favorable 1st rd pick in 2029

6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    The next Jimmer was picked

7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

He was told there would be a microphone. Couldn't miss another chance to potentially talk about not taking the Lakers job.

Edit: not even two minutes after that was he in front of the camera.

(Not a real quote but damn funny)

pika1708, abeer3, Barnstable and 3 others like this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Wow. So much for Holland falling.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Glad we've realized who the better target is. Don't think we have enough to get it done though

pika1708, Barnstable, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  10. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    Dillingham to the Wolves is going to be a problem. IMO he's going to have the best career of anyone in this draft.

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

We have enough to get it done, I think it’s just is it worth what we’d have to give up. It’d be every pick we can offer (I guess now maybe Knecht instead of the pick?) plus Reaves. I’m not sure it’s worth that, I like Murray, but Reaves is our 4th best player at worst, so you’re losing a major piece to add Murray. I don’t know if you can replace what Austin brings at his price, plus his ‘intangibles’.

12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I'm with you Weezy. I don't want to lose Reaves and all our picks for Murray. I've pivoted to moving Rui. He's the one guy along with Gabe Vincent who I feel is expendable if we can get a clear upgrade. And I like Rui. But he really screwed up in the playoffs and I don't feel he has the requisite basketball IQ or defensive instincts necessary to play under Reddick. JJ doesn't have the time or energy to teach him. We need someone ready to go. Grant knows how to play even if he might not be quite as talented ultimately on offense as Rui. His D is much better though.

13. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    The trade market is pretty wild right now but I still think a trade package around 2 unprotected FRPs that does NOT include Reaves is fair value for Murray. If that’s not enough to get it done and Atlanta insists on Reaves, I’m not sure I want to pull the trigger

The Knecht pick is interesting as it pertains to potential trades though. Usually if you’re not immediately trading your pick (where you basically made the pick on behalf of another team) their value goes down right away.

I’m not sure that’s the same with Knecht though since he’s projected to be an immediate NBA ready contributor. His draft rights might still have solid value. In fact since he was mocked as a lottery pick that nobody had seen being an option at #17, his draft rights might currently have more value than if we had hypothetically been able to trade #17 before the draft

So I could see him being thrown into a trade, trying to pitch him as a Reaves-like prospect, to avoid having to give up AR himself.

Or who knows, maybe the FO is high enough on Knecht that they see him as a potential AR replacement and this pick softens the blow of having to trade AR

Weezy, Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  14. Weezy

I mean I agree that is fair value for Murray, especially since those future picks will likely be high, but when Bridges is going for 5 1sts and Deni Avdija is going for 2, the league has kind of lost the plot here.

As far as Knecht and Reaves, I really don’t want to trade either one of them, Reaves is like I said a great value on his contract, and if Knecht adjusts quickly he also looks to be, guy could contribute immediately for us on a rookie deal, which is rare for us because we usually pick so high and historically aren’t a lottery team. I guess if there is a guy that can be had that pushes us into legit title contention by adding him to a trade you have to consider it, but I like the idea of starting to build with some younger players. I saw the report that LeBron and AD want us to trade to try to win now, and I get that, but if a guy that does that isn’t really available it just is what it is, we can’t afford to make another Westbrook type of mistake or overpay for Deng and Mozgov again.

Cookie, lakerjones, TIME and 2 others like this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Oof. You lost Brown and that hurt. Now KCP waking out on you. Don't think Mikey can coach up next man up to fill those holes.

Cookie, abeer3, Kenzo and 4 others like this.
  16. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

This is just my thinking: the Lakers are making Vanderbilt, Gabe Vincent., & JHS available, IMO. There's been a report of all three being available or if you're Vincent included in deals during the last trade deadline, IIRC

That's about $26 million worth of contracts in total. I'm not including Russell as of now. I don't think you're going to get much value given all three had trouble being on the court and our rookie who had time on the court wasn't productive; you would need to include draft compensation to make that package more attractive for teams to give up anything of value if they're included in a deal together or individually.

You would also need to canvas the league to identify who's making that money and if they fill a need, i.e., a true center, a 2 way-wing, etc. I know Cam Johnson & Dejounte make that kind of money (in that range). However, we know Atlanta wants Reaves back and that isn't going to happen. I don't know what Brooklyn is asking for Johnson yet, and I haven't seen anything that's been purported here or aggregated in any reports on X, "yet".

I think Rob is taking the right approach - the "Westbrook" approach. Let's see what Russell decides to do and then we can go from there. We have the two picks at our disposal and contracts we could trade and possibly add more salary and picks if necessary (right deal comes along).

One thing did happen tonight: with this pick Rob made tonight and if this kid works out, I do believe it gives us more roster flexibility in the present and going forward.

Cookie, abeer3, Weezy and 1 other person like this.
  17. lakerjones

Agreed, this is why I'm hoping we pivot to trading Rui and Gabe with maybe a future pick. Jerami Grant is Klutch and that would make Lebron and AD happy plus give us a starter that could really fit alongside them. I've lost patience with Rui and Vincent I don't care at all about. We do need to improve and that one move would do so in a significant way IMO.

Weezy likes this.
  18. Weezy

If we could get Grant for Rui and Vincent plus our picks I’d be all over it, but I don’t think Portland would be interested honestly. I had to look up our trade history with them because I couldn’t recall any since I’ve been watching, and it says we have t made a trade with them since 1980 LOL. I think the past rivalry maybe still hangs over this a bit. All that said I’m still hoping the FO can make some deal or deals of impact with what we have to offer, even if they’re smaller moves with 2nd round picks, we have to improve in some key areas, not enough 2 way players to be true contenders at the moment.

abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  19. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Well..that regular season stuff, loses a lot of it's luster, when a guy faceplants in the playoffs. Rui’s 8 and 4, was almost as bad, as Chokeolo's 6 and 3 in the Conference Finals. Rui did show up for the last game, and brushed his numbers up a little bit.

Ironically.. Prince put up similar numbers to Rui, in less minutes. I'd definitely make an offer for Grant, but Rob being Rob, we might make a play for Ayton. He's on a shorter deal at a similar salary. Grant has 3 years left and a PO. Ayton has two.

20. lakerjones

Yeah, you may be right. I'm hoping that Klutch and Grant themselves put pressure on Portland to do it. PDX is going nowhere. They should also want to get off of his big contract - he's only on year two of that thing.

JSM and Weezy like this.