2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

clips want paul? paul/wiggins for PG/coffey or hyland or westbrook or whatever.

could see it.

the clips, like the warriors, can afford to have 30 million in dead weight/trade bait. loling at cp3 getting his contract options picked up over and over again for trade purposes. i get that he keeps getting like, 5x the cash he's worth on the open market, but man...that's gotta sting...

catch here is the team paul wanted to walk to was threatening to get the space themselves. warriors can't really make that happen without really detonating things. and using another team's space as leverage has yet to work (though, in theory, it's always made sense to me).

Cookie likes this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I don't think the 17th gets us either even if AC went for a bag of chips. I think this is like last year where we had high aspirations on draft night and can't find anything. I like targeting 2 way players (JJ mentioned their importance). Biggest difference this year is that 2/3 the league are possibly willing to trade their pick depending on how their board falls and no board is created equal this year. So we're going to get outbid.

I'm not against Jonas. I really want a legit big who can play minutes. But I don't like "starting center" listed there. Makes me worried about promises and we've been down that road.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i just hope we go with the scouts this year at 17, assuming we can't move it. and i'm not a jhs doomsayer, but if there's any disagreement, go with the guys you pay to do this part of the job.

if dlo walks and we get access to full mle, i'd promise the starting job to valanciunas if he'd take that salary. worst case, he's movable at that rate.

i'm not worried about promising a starting center role if a) AD wants to not start at center and b) redick is on board with the plan.

in a dramatic turn of events, i'd be willing to promise drummond the starting role (at a lower salary) under the same circumstances. what i didn't like about that last time was that we made the same promise to two guys. that was some b******* and bad management.

SamsonMiodek and Barnstable like this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

No, I imagine either of those players would cost us all 3 available picks. I’m not high on Jonas either, but one of the pods I was listening to said he might be one of the only quality bigs in our price range if his market dries up, if he’s the odd man out once bigs get their deals. But if we keep #17, there’s a lot of solid players in this draft from what I’ve seen, no stars but a lot of potential immediate help. If Edey is still available there he could be the big body we need. I have concerns about his mobility, but he’s huge and very skilled, at 17 it’s probably worth the shot.

Cookie, Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

one of edey, ware, and missi is almost sure to be there at 17 if we want a center, imo. i wouldn't feel comfortable with any of them being a planned part of the rotation next year, though. probably the only guy i've heard us connected to at 17 that i could see playing next year is da silva, and that's only if we trade rui and don't re-sign prince or a prince replacement.

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

it was actually worse than that. We promised two centers the starting gig AND Trezz x number of minutes a night. So it's definitely not that bad but i don't like tying the coach's hands, especially a new coach.

if it's promise him or we don't get a 250 lb center that i demand this summer. Fine. But i don't love the process.

Elsewhere we're linked to a Wizard

from before the presser and this lines up with what Rob and JJ said today

Cookie, TIME, SamsonMiodek and 2 others like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

oh yeah, forgot...and now i'm mad again.

would find it hard to believe we'd move on something like that without jj's blessing.

and ick on shamet. would have to be for absolutely nothing. like...you can't even have gabe.

the mavs are trying to dump thj for shamet...we don't even have something to dump...[/quote][/QUOTE]

Cookie likes this.
  8. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

How would that work? AD guard the 3 and LeBron guard the 4 while Jonas guards the 5?

abeer3 likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

maybe gabe starts at pg, lebron slots at the 3, but AD is given whichever forward on the other team is the lesser three point threat.

you're right that it's vulnerable, but size does matter, and i like being the bigger team.

you close halves with AD at center and bron at pf, though.

Barnstable likes this.
  10. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

The trade would be Gabe straight up for Shamet.

1. Shamet makes teh exact same amount as Gabe, which is perfect for CBA reasons.

2. Shamet is a good friend and former college teamate of Reaves.

3. Shamet provides shooting.

11. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I thought Shamet was out of the league lol

Don't like that trade

abeer3 likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

have you checked in on landry lately? because you'd have to be hoping for a huge recovery for this not to be a terrible idea.

i'd much rather hope gabe recovers.

pika1708 likes this.
  13. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

not sure what happened to Shamet, he was legit one of the best shooters in the league in his first years.

Gabe on the other hand shot 11% from 3 pts for us on his limited time last year, exactly 4 out of 35 attempts which is abysmal.

they both look pretty unplayable based on their recent performances.

Cookie, TIME and abeer3 like this.
  14. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I was a big believer in Shamet coming out of Wichita State. I thought he could provide some secondary ballhandling while also being a great spot-up and movement shooter. Kind of a like a desperately poor man's version of Curry's game. But he just hasn't been a very good NBA player.

abeer3 likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't want to read too much into gabe's 11 games, particularly from a shooting standpoint. gabe at least played pretty good defense. shamet never has, and now his shot has left him.

Barnstable, Pioneer10 and Helljumper like this.
  16. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Unless we are getting a pretty clear upgrade, I'd just bring Gabe. Hard to judge him coming off injury that late and how Darvin handled the team in general.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'd gladly move gabe as part of an upgrade package, but in a lateral move or worse--a salary dump? nope.

Cookie and Barnstable like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

can someone help me with a FA question:

why isn't orlando just offering a full max to PG? i think they can make the room by simply cutting joe ingles and other such things (they can trade isaac or cut his salary at no cost, too). he can play the sg with the starters and sf in lineups when banchero or wagner is sitting.

they'll maybe run into some financial issues two or three years from now, but adding him could nearly vault them into contention. why pursue klay thompson or dlo when PG is out there?

Cookie and Pioneer10 like this.
  19. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

This whole Clippers situation is weird to me. They gave all that money to Kawhii who has literally broken down in every playoff run except when Denver knocked them out - that's what 4 straight years. Yet they won't give the money to George who surprisingly been able to finish in the playoffs.

he's an underwhelming playoff performer I get it (he goes from MVP like to pumpkin game to game in the playoffs) but at least he's available. But if you're worried about that you're going to re-up Harden of all people?

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  20. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

My understanding is that they're offering PG the same deal that Kawhi signed (3 yrs at slightly less than his max) but PG wants the 4th year and/or his full max salary. Basically, the Clippers want them on the same timeline.

As for Abeer's question, I think its entirely possible that PG's agent has already conveyed to the Magic that he doesn't want to play in Orlando. I'd also understand if the Magic aren't in a rush to bring in THE third piece next to Banchero and Wagner. Klay or DLo allow them to bring in the shooting they need to further develop those guys while also not completely tying their hands financially.

Cookie, abeer3 and Pioneer10 like this.