2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

right, the big bloated deals teams are signing secondary guys to are for 2 years or less guaranteed. is orlando going to try to give dlo 2/50 with a team option on year 2? because i don't think a bruce brown 2/40 like that isn't going to do it.

if dlo wants to opt out for a multi-year mle deal, we can give him that, imo.

orlando has anthony black and jalen suggs (and cole anthony) at the guard spots; they can't want to sign dlo to a deal longer than two years, imo.

further, if i'm them my eyes are on a sg/sf (as opposed to pg/sg) or i'd rather be consolidating trade chips--in this case that's either bruce brown-ing it or eating some salary with picks or prospects attached.

52years likes this.
  2. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

Just WOW.Toronto not even made a play inn tournament and Masai considered at once genius among GM ... Barnes is done as a star ,he's getting paid as much as C Bags stars who already played in 2 finals and a few times in a conference finals.
    I am speechless .New Amazon TV agreement completely destroyed NBA

Cookie likes this.
  3. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

If your a team your stuck giving this contract out. Barnes at times looks Kawhii/Lebron like in terms of his using physicality just to overwhelm defenders - some team is going to give him that money so the home town team is going to be forced to give it.

If I was the NBA I would go away from the hard cap and go towards just making it harder for good but not great players to get these massive deals. Tier 1 should be dudes who have been top 3 or 5 in MVP voting, Tier 2 All NBA 1st teams, Tier 3 all NBA second teamers, etc.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think it's more the bird rights max/supermax stuff that was intended to help smaller markets may actually hurt them more often. they end up having to sign these second-tier players to max deals or risk losing them. then they're later forced to trade them for less than full value when things inevitably go south.

really think the league needs to get rid of the max. keep all other rules, but if someone wants to pay wembanyama 80% of their cap, let them. the market will operate better, imo, and you'll see more creative team building.

edit: pioneer beat me to it a bit.

Cookie, Wino and Pioneer10 like this.
  5. KuzmoBall17

Austin averages 16 points for 12 or 14 millions and I am pretty sure he will get close to 20 with JJ ,but Barnes will get 54 for almost same stats ... No there's something definitely wrong with NBA bargaining agreement

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

honestly, barnes's numbers look a lot like the two max guys in boston at around the same age/stage. much like those two, i don't think he's a real mvp type player in the future, but by modern definitions, he's definitely getting that first max deal.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  7. KuzmoBall17

Poor Steven A lol

ESPN is reportedly offering Stephen A. Smith a substantial $18 million annually to renew his contract, although Smith is seeking $25 million, as discussed by Dan Le Batard on the "Dan Le Batard Show." Le Batard emphasized that this offer, while significant, reflects a major underestimation of Smith's value.

"I happen to find interesting that in our time, the person who is at the top of our profession is now being offered, reportedly at ESPN, the highest salary in the history of the company for a talent
    WTF they just fired like 40-50 people last year

8. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

A hard cap with no max would be fascinating but I think fans would hate it. A generational player like Wemby maybe stuck on a terrible team with a billion dollar a year contract. While he may be still great the fact that players aren't likely to give up salary to be on a good team is going to cause havoc with the discourse

abeer3 likes this.
  9. KuzmoBall17

Tatum in 2020 was 30 + points scorer in playoffs in a lot of games Barnes high is 18 points and Toronto were swept vs Philly

10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

barnes is the future of the league according to that clown raptors HC lmao

he's an all star caliber player for sure, but don't think he'll ever have what it takes to lead a team anywhere

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

why? if wemby's as good as two other allstars, he should get that salary, and his team should have to build around that. the artificial max is what allows super teams. if a team has a guy making 100 million per on a 150 million cap, they can't get two more guys making that money.

the real objection is that the middle-tier players get squeezed out and the league gets vet-min heavy. i get why they don't want that, but i still think it would be fun to see teams try to stack 35 million per type players against a single luka/jokic/giannis. i think you'd have more parity. teams that can't attract stars could field 2004 pistons style teams (which is actually really similar to this year's C Bags).

anyway, i think if there weren't maxes, barnes's contract would be lower than it is right now, not higher.

i mean, i could cherry pick some stuff to tilt the argument the other way, too. point is that if you look at both traditional and advanced numbers, barnes is performing similarly to other wings who received max offers off their rookie deals.

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Lol..And some people think that Lebron should take a minimum deal.

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

btw was thinking that if cleveland doesn't move mitchell (seems like they don't want to, and i get it), they need to move garland. he's coming off a down year (basically, he was dlo at twice the price!), so his value is low. but he's klutch, and we probably would have drafted him had we not traded that pick for AD.

problem is cleveland doesn't have much to sweeten the pot. they could take gabe and opted in dlo and send us their 20th pick this year i guess.

i just know when klutch guys are on the move, we're a possibility...

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Latest from Stein

PG chatter will dominate the week. Liklihood of a trade is increasing
    What teams to watch this week
    Why Houston?

abeer3, TIME and Cookie like this.
  15. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

So I've seen the Knicks potential package for George described as Randle, Bojan + picks. Am I just too high on Randle, or does than not move the needle for the Knicks all that much? We didn't see much of the Knicks full roster together after they made their trades at the deadline. Randle has his flaws but I think the physicality he (ideally) plays with fits the identity of that team.

16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Imagine being stuck with LaVine’s contract and injuries because you had to have Josh I-can't-get-within-10-miles-of-a-HS Giddy

17. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

Why would the Clippers trade PG to the Warriors? It's not like the Clippers are rebuilding. The warriors are direct competition with them. They wouldn't wanna strengthen them.

Cookie, sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  18. KuzmoBall17

How Warriors are going to get PG13
    They are already over the cup
    don't have any pics till 2027 .
    And Klay was getting only 43 millions , Paul George is around 50.Looks like all insiders have no idea how salary cup works and just posting random stuff

19. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Because he'd be doing the same thing CP3 did to them in 2017. Either he just signs into someone's cap space, or he opts in so he can be traded for something back in return.

abeer3 likes this.
  20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member