2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Why couldn't they trade for Kyrie? You keep pumping that narrative. Only one guy threw out that owner jazz, so he's the only one that was right? Shams, Kyrie or the owner himself, never said that at all.

You could be Rob's agent, you seem to cover for him...a lot.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

this i can agree with. lots of us wanted a bigger 5 on the roster all year long.

and you always just claim whatever source you don't like is lying/false. nobody has said that wasn't true (that bkn just kept upping the ask and didn't want kyrie to land here). and the way things shook out--kyrie to dallas for less than what we supposedly did offer--lend credence to my view, not yours.

Cookie, Juronimo and JSM like this.
  3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Naw..did you actually read Shams article? We didn't offer up jack really...we wanted a straight up Westbrook for Kyrie trade 1st. Then it was only a 2 year deal. When the guy was adamant, about only signing a long term deal.

Then it was...oh well.. Austin and Max was a price too high folks..we tried.

We barely pursued the guy TBH. We only did it all, because Lebron was pushing it.

Read that article and then tell me, what part of it illustrated our hot pursuit.

Shams supposedly is locked in with the Lakers. Kyrie didn't have any motivations or obligations, to spare the owner's name in this situation for some reason. The owner himself said, that he gave Rob permission to speak with Kyrie's people, and that he never even contacted them. You are the one, hanging on to what 1 person said.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck...it's probably a duck.

4. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think the trade market has corrected itself a bit and the huge hauls of draft picks we saw for secondary stars has past. I think Lauri is a tough get but I do think we will be in mix for some good players this summer.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

I am still campaigning for a trade with Portland.

Grant and Brogdon for Dlo and Rui + picks, and we are back in the mix.

they have every reason to trade these players, in order to tank properly.

AD/Grant/Lebron/AR/Brogdon would be a very strong lineup. Not sure about the depth.

6. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I like Grant too, 2nd to Turner, I was once pushing for him too. He just seems to like it in Portland though. I don't know how he feels now. Malcom..agh..the injuries have soured me on him a bit though. He was once a pretty solid player, it's a gamble.

7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Marc Stein reported Joe Tsai did not want to trade Kyrie to his preferred destination the Lakers. It takes two to tango. We tried, we failed, let’s move on. Here’s the article: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ade-kyrie-irving-to-lakers-prior-to-mavs-deal

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

No..Marc Stein is the only one that said that too. I've pointed that out 15 times. What makes him the defacto authority on the subject? Shams posted a rather lengthy article on this, he didn't mention that in his article. He has referenced Stein making this comment though.

9. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

So how about this...Rui and Jarred plus JHS maybe, and 1 unprotected first, for Jerami. Then flip tinkerbell in a S&T to Orlando for Issac, with a 2nd or two coming back our way?

Then we can use our 17th pick, on this Carter kid, JSM is raving about.

Personally I'm with LT, I'd take big Zach, but as Abeer would say, 3 bigs is probably an example of Rob overcorrecting himself.

Grant is basically Rui/Jarred in 1 player. Issac has upside but injury concerns, some draft compensation coming with him works for me.

10. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

So Marc Stein and Scott Polacek the author of this article are lying? Regardless the point remains that it didn’t get done and now it’s water under the bridge.

Cookie, FrontOfJersey22 and abeer3 like this.
  11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

They could have had bad information. That happens all the time in this League. As a matter of fact,it happens in every single season.

So you are telling me, that Kyrie had reason to protect the owner, by putting it on the GM's?

The owner had some reason to lie on Rob by saying that he gave Rob permission, to speak to Irving's team, but he never reached out? Or hell, he sent KD exactly where he demanded to go, with a lot more time left on his contract, but was hell bent on denying Kyrie?
    Shams is one of the most respected insiders in the league, but he just missed on this Tsai thing?

The former sounds a lot more plausible than the latter IMO. True water under the bridge now, however with Kyrie Irving in the Finals, I'm pretty sure this will be brought up again, especially with Lebron's recent comments.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

who? legit question.

not possible. need at least 41 million in salary to get those two, and you'd be getting really close to the second apron--where some trade restrictions start popping up--in doing so. would have to add gabe or vando. and what picks? this year's 17 or a future first that might be lotto and/or used in a trade for a better player down the line?

no. marc stein isn't one of the most trusted sources in basketball reporting for two decades because...slick said so or something.

yes, liars. also, again, nobody has refuted this. except slick.

definitely happened to shams, right?

why reach out if you know you're not going to be able to get him, anyway?

how are you missing this? it was personal between tsai and kyrie, and it wasn't between tsai and durant. that was kinda the whole point, man. jeez.

where'd he say that what stein said wasn't true? these can all be true at the same time. easily. tsai not negotiating in good faith trumps the rest. i'm tired of explaining this obvious fact.

"why didn't they call his agent?!" same reason i didn't call the ferrari dealership last week.

"you just don't want the ferrari!" i want the ferrari. they won't sell me the ferrari.

edit: sorry, the better metaphor here would be me trying to buy a used cadillac from a guy who's gf told him she wished to leave him for me or something.

[​IMG]

can only imagine who might do this!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

abeer3 likes this.
  14. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Hmmm, never seen Paul Pierce and ButtFace in the same room at the same time either, just sayin'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm no fan of Paul Pierce, but please avoid using sexual orientation slurs as your insults. Buttface still applies though. - TIME

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2024
    LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

16. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Meh..Bunch of words..not saying much. Soo ..a week ago, it was in Shams you trust right. Now it's Marc Stein?..I guess it depends on the narrative that you prefer.

Sidebar** I have also noticed in my time here, that you tend to defend almost every single move Rob makes for some reason. Except the Westbrook trade. Hmmm

Anywhoo. NO. I stand on what I posted, it's my opinion, you are welcomed to have your own. You never addressed Kyrie's motives, for putting it on the GM either Especially considering that the well respected Marc Stein, said the owner was never going to do it anyway. Seemed like an easy out.

The other thing that's just odd, about this situation...what is the point, of all the "Reaves and Christie " were just too much nonsense? That is still utterly ridiculous. Yesterday, today and ten years from now. Somehow..that keeps getting thrown out there as " See! That proves that Brooklyn was never serious!"

How?Those two will never be the player, Kyrie Irving is right now. It's the most crazy part of the whole conversation.

Honestly..I don't get the impression, that James is buying the owner just didn't want to do it narrative either.

Personally..I will always give more weight, to direct quotes from people involved in a situation, over anonymous "insider" quotes, that can never actually be verified.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  17. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

Yeah, these are excellent points, and nobody is really talking about it. With that being said, if Lauri ends up being our only opportunity, then I wouldn't mind trying to put the 7 footer at small forward for a couple years until lebron retires (I guess). Problem is, lebron is probably better at guarding 3s than Lauri is, so that really sucks. He would end up having to slide over. But lebron did say he loves Lauri though or something to that extent. In my opinion, I think the ideal trade option for the Lakers is Mikal Bridges, but it also seems that it might be hard to get him.

18. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I expect the posturing to end in the next couple of weeks and teams to get serious about trades. The usual names will be floating around but I think guys like Jarrett Allen, Kuzma, Jerami Grant, and others will legitimately be available and hopefully we can get in the mix for one.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Haven't listened to it yet, there's a few more I'm trying to get to ahead of this one. But here's the link

And here's a recap

abeer3 likes this.
  20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Same s*** every year since the bubble.

A PG..3&D wings and another big. Go ahead and copy and paste for the next season.

Edit.. oh yeah..more shooters

abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.