2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

NBA Nears $76 Billion TV Deal, a Defining Moment for Media and Sports
    Advanced talks with NBC, Amazon and ESPN spotlight the staggering value of sports rights and could portend industry changes

abeer3 likes this.
  2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Not to mention that AD has actually made it beyond the second round of the playoffs.

Cookie, Kenzo, Juronimo and 2 others like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

well, not without lebron. embiid hasn't had a running mate of the same caliber (maybe jimmy butler was close?).

but yeah, i think AD is a the superior defender and only a notch below on offense. factor in that the major ding on AD is something that's even worse for embiid, and i know which player i'd prefer.

but in either case, as sk said, you sort of have to pony up the cash and hope for the best. that's a much better proposition than hoping a draft pick or FA will become as good as those guys.

4. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lol..you always don't think, anyone should want we have to offer man. It's a standard Abeer take. Nobody wants our players, but we can't afford to get rid of them either.

5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Watching Dallas, is a bit of a downer for me. I was on Gafford all season, until the Mavs got him, before anyone else was even talking about him. I wanted Washington, and of course Kyrie.

Cuban made it happen though, credit due.

I really don't think, that our FO, was ever as interested, in those guys, as I was. I don't really know what Rob's vision is TBH.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I'm a Lauri fan as well. Not sure what Ainge would want though. Worth making the call IMO.

VladeD714 likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

and your standard take is all our players suck but teams will gladly give us theirs for them (e.g., myles turner).

i think our non-star players are ok. and in most cases we have more to gain from continuity than from shuffling similarly-valued pieces around.

Cookie likes this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm certain we've already made the call. along with like, 23 other teams.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I assume you are alluding to the chances of us actually landing him which I do think are small.

I'm still of the mindset of smaller moves to bring in some size and wing defense with whoever becomes available. That with a healthy Vando is actually a solid offseason. I don't think we necessarily need to chase a big name but I'm open to several of the guys who have been tossed out there.

10. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

We don't have the assets to get guys when their value is near the all-time high. Lauri when he was at the Bulls was gettable. Nowadays it's impossible.

Our best bet is to go for guys that for some reason or another have lost a lot of trade value. I guess Trae could be seen as such, but I'm not convinced he could be an important part of a contending team due to his lack of size and defense.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  11. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

What’s Conspiracy Theory?
    The fact that Ainge wouldn’t try and fleece us?
    :Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Free Myles Turner mane!! I'll never give up on that one. Saying guys are better suited to come off the bench, isn't saying that they suck. YOU have actually said the exact same thing about those 3 guys!

abeer3 likes this.
  13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

What assets do these other teams have, that are so superior to ours. Keep in mind, it's not totally up to Danny Ainge anyway. The player has to want to play at the proposed destination..ala AD

Remember how NOBODY could come close to what Boston could offer up for him?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  14. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I don't think Embiid is only a notch better on offense. I think he's better offensively as AD is defensively, if not a little more. Embiid is borderline unguardable (unless you're Horford). He literally has games where he gets his mid J anytime he wants and gets going without anyone able to slow him down. AD gets going more when he has some momentum towards the basket, not so strong in ISO.
    But yeah, health is a factor for both. But Embiid is 1a and AD is 1b clearly. Depending on your personnel you can with one or the other.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

AD is unguardable in isolation, which is why nobody really tries it seriously.

TIME likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

lol, i know. and indy won't trade him for our non-stars, either.

you don't go four posts without disparaging russell. i think rui, reaves, or dlo could all play off the bench or start, depending on who else is on the team. they're all legit 30mpg nba players.

but the guys we want to trade for (murray, mitchell, etc.) are a lot better. and their teams mostly won't be interested in role players and picks.

the big thing holding us back is we have no blue chip young talent. reaves is the closest, and nobody really thinks he's got two more levels to jump or something. you need guys like that to make trades for big names. even with AD demanding us and only us, we had to give up ingram (and lonzo) in addition to the #4 overall pick and other future picks (and hart!).

see above.

Cookie and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  17. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

The FO knows it needs to keep butts in the seats to keep the family business going; so that means keep Lebron but they also don't seem to want to push to contend knowing that they only have a few more years.

Basically don't think they trusted the team and/or Ham to be good enough and it honestly looks like they were wrong based on this post-season. Knife's edge difference between all these top teams and it all came down to matchups and the Lakers chose wrong from what we're seeing.

Once Wood went down, you knew they were going to be underhanded vs a few teams in the West particularly the big one in Denver and they didn't address it. Dallas did and even though they didn't play Dallas, he was key against another massive team in the TWOlves.

Slick2021 likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

chose what wrong? ham as coach? or not trading for kyrie (whom they couldn't trade for)?

19. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Not going after a Jokic counter.

abeer3 likes this.
  20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

1.Turner has not signed an extension yet and until he does, I will continue to campaign for that one.

2. Chokeolo..the name says it all. He's not a championship caliber, heavy minutes player. That being said, something else I always say about him, gets ignored for some reason. He is still a talented player,and he could fit on a lot of teams, just not here.
    3.Guys get traded all the time, for a lot less ,than their perceived "worth". At least according to the fans, or media's perceived worth. It's going to happen again this upcoming season.
    4. Rob bid against himself in the AD trade,once AD's pops killed that Boston noise, who had a better offer than what we could give up? I don't even remember anyone else, seriously in the discussion besides, Boston and LA.
    5. I like Austin, Rui and Jarred, and I don't think any of them are as effective as players, at 30m or more. Somebody around here, actually posted the analytics on that subject awhile ago. I didn't need the analytics to come to that conclusion myself. That's not saying that they are scrubs or something. That's an excellent bench core IMO.