2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Exactly. Lying sacks of s***. Portland should be giving 1st rounders to get rid of that contract, not the other way around.

Cookie and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lol..you guys are killing me with this contract stuff. There are 46 players in the NBA making at least 29M.

3. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

And Grant is not a top50 player in the league.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Irwin update on Grant: when he spoke to Danny Marang at summer league, he said Klutch and Blazers had a framework they were good with, and when presented to Rob he was never OK with 2 first round picks going out. Irwin said that at no point this summer has Rob been willing to send those picks + Rui out for the deal. Cronin isn't a negotiating exec. He gives you the price, you pay it or you don't get what you want (Dame and MIA). Portland does like Rui, they have no interest in DLO (they have A LOT of guards). A lot of people around the league are this as one of the more likely deals for the Lakers at some point this season. Irwin said while this can change and just takes one side softening their stance, this is most likely the roster we're rolling with on opening night.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm told this is why no one deals with snake rob, right? for the record, i'm good with this approach no matter who applies it. you have a price in mind. you'll call if it changes. i don't think anyone is meeting the two 1sts price for grant, so he'll either stay a blazer or some compromise will come. but again, cronin has zero reason to make that compromise in the coming weeks. portland is content being the worst team in the west this year.

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Let's assume for a minute they're both like that, that makes dealing even more unlikely. Really puts the pressure on Klutch to do the work on both sides.

Yeah, Grant isn't worth two. One firsts and a few seconds is where I'm at.

I really don't like the idea of us having to wait until the deadline to make our move and I think that's what is going to happen. Rookie coach, system and fit adjustments, work load on Bron and AD. Had we been able to do something on the fringes to bandaid it until the bigger deal, I would've been OK with that.

No C and no two-way player addition of any caliber even if they're a two way 9th man. That's just not acceptable in my book.

7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

And there we go. Just as reported they want two FRPs and that’s a no go. Rui Gabe and one first is very fair and they won’t see better than that.

abeer3, FrontOfJersey22 and Cookie like this.
  8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

two first rounders for grant would be incredibly stupid. aside from the injuries and age, he's not even a guy who moves the needle whatsoever

9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Well, I think he moves the needle for us in terms of his role. He'd be a real two way starter for our team (which we don't have) and a good three point shooter to boot. He's sort of a good mix of Rui and Vando and he could really fit well alongside Lebron and AD. No he's not the best rebounder (neither is Rui) but he could share some minutes with Vando and I think he would help quite a bit. He's not old (30). The main issue is he's overpaid but add Gabe in that trade package and we have a solid starting lineup that I believe is a nice upgrade.

JSM likes this.
  10. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Says who? You? Based off of what criteria?

11. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

The biggest hurdle for a Grant trade is Portland not wanting Rui or Tinkerbell. Milwaukee gave up 1 player, 1 FRP and 2 pick swaps for Dame. I believe the pick stuff is just posturing. This might take a 3 team trade.

13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Grant has 3 years left on his contract, plus a PO. They can afford to be patient. Ayton only has 2 years left though, he might get moved first.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Dlo really has little value around the league. Have we heard any potential team trade where they want Dlo?

Edit: Maybe Brooklyn? I don’t remember.

sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  15. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Irwin said above in the report above that Portland does have interest in Rui.

abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  16. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I'm not sure I want to send even one unprotected first for Grant at this point. If we look good to start the year and it becomes clear that upgrading Rui to Grant could give us a puncher's chance to get out of the West, sure go for it. But for now I think I want to see how JJ uses the existing roster and what LeBron and AD look like physically. If those two look worn down and we're .500 or worse after the first month or two I'm not sure its worth it to send out any firsts for Grant.

LTLakerFan, Wino, Barnstable and 3 others like this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Brooklyn has some level of reported interest, but they'll still valuing Johnson and DFS too high. We have to get more from them too in return. I think the haggling there could prevent that one.

In the same pod, Irwin said he thought that's earlier in the off-season why he thought it was more likely a deal with the Nets or Wiz materialized -- because they were either interested in DLO (Nets) or less against trading for him (Wiz).

abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

JJ Redick is clamoring for a big bruising center, we've been trying to move Tinkerbell, ever since he opted in. I don't think the staff is content, with just running it back, as is at all.

19. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Ya, and 90% of then have no damn business making that kind of money and it's become a calamity in that no team can make a damn trade for anything anymore. Stupid NBA PA and owners didn't even negotiate this new CBA and signed it so they can jerk off on their new TV deal right away. Problem is they just made the NBA like the American economy. Haves and have nots with next to impossible improvement for anyone who doesn't get "lucky" in the draft.

20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I didn't read it. That's at least promising, perhaps we could move Tinkerbell for a 5. I would really like to keep Vanderbilt though. I'm intrigued with the idea of Grant and Vanderbilt, on the wings with AD at 5. We could then use Lebron at 4, with a big center, providing different looks than we've had so far.

I'm warming up to Abeer's idea of nabbing Kessler now. He's on a cheap contract that can be extended at a reasonable price next season.

Keep Reaves and Vanderbilt, adding Grant and Kessler. That's an upgraded roster IMO.

abeer3, lakerjones and Cookie like this.