2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Exactly.

Have you heard anything on Bruce Brown.

I've seen reports on Jerami Grant. Still wouldn't give up 2 firsts, but I'm wondering if anything is close there.

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, he's bad defensively. But they went from having no point guards last year to having two players who have some of the best assist to turnover numbers in the league with Tyus and Morris. Really helped themselves at that spot.

Still not worried about them at center and their defense is still bad. That said, last year they got some of the best minimum players on the market. People overreacted because those were still minimum level players, Suns got them because they were the first to call players who were 8th...10th...12th on other team's call sheets. This summer they got talent way above that value and they took big cuts (market based decisions in part) -- Plumlee, Morris and Jones.

It's been quiet throughout the league on the trade front. I think everyone is waiting to see what happens with Markkanen. There's still BI, Kuz, and Brown who were floating around. I think someone moves after that is settled, others might sit until it gets closer to the deadline and the teams have to lock in to their flank for Flagg campaign.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024
    abeer3 and VladeD714 like this.
  3. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Cool. Thanks.

4. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

5. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah they got interesting depth. If they manage to get Beal to come off the bench, they'll be in the top 6 I think. But I still don't fear them in a 7 game series

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i don't think lowe was speaking based on any intel, it just seems like an obvious fit--portland's going nowhere during the last two years of grant's contract. he's one of the only good players on bad teams left that isn't a real franchise cornerstone. players like that get traded all the time. we're also one of the few buyers who hasn't bought anything yet.

but once again we hear that portland wanted two firsts.

separately, i've still got my eye on houston for a center. they have sengun, adams, and landale under contract. we could use adams or landale, and they can't use all three, imo. now, houston probably sees us as competition for a playoff spot, so maybe it's unlikely. just hoping maybe someone's agent agitates for minutes. adams is a FA next year, and landale's contract is non-guaranteed every year.

Barnstable and Cookie like this.
  7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Allegedly Rob agreed to send two firsts and then backed out.

Grant isn't worth two but not all picks and conditions are created equal, so I'd like to know the details. Also if Rob didn't have a great relationship with Portland before...

I've seen rumors they're unlikely to want to pay Sengun his next pay bump but I imagine they'll ask the farm for him. I've wanted Adam's for awhile, if his medicals are clean sign me up.

abeer3 likes this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

well, yes. could be that rob thought two picks meant with protections and portland didn't.

9. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Not buying for a second that Rob agreed to the framework and then simply got cold feet. If there’s any truth to this, there’s definitely nuance i.e. protections as you mentioned.

But I’m sure many will believe a no name Blazers reporter to have all the details on the trade that didn’t happen. It seems fairly evident Portland wants 2 1sts, dangles this to say, “see, somebody is considering it” for leverage.

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Adams been injury prone going back to his okc last few yrs to now

abeer3 and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

It's been pretty clear even from the murky media that Portland has been wanting two FRP's as the price for Grant. It's just steep. I don't see anyway that Rob agreed to that then pulled out. The ask has been the sticking point. Grant is Klutch and probably wants out of a rebuilding team. Hopefully he can force their hand for us with Rich Paul. I'd really like to get him.

Cookie, abeer3 and Pioneer10 like this.
  12. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t buy that report at all. I may think Rob is a mediocre to bad GM, I may believe he’s a liar and a used car salesman, whiny and not the most qualified. But one thing I do believe is that he’s never agreed to more than one first round pick in any deal after the AD deal for any player less than a star. Even if it were true though, that’s not some proof that he’s a bad GM, not giving up 2 firsts for Grant is a smart thing to do, it’s a laughable asking price for a guy they don’t even want and even according to the guy who reported that a little bit after he said it, a guy they don’t even play past February every season so they can tank.

13. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

I know beggars can’t be choosers, but I’m not in love with Grant’s age (31) or his contract.

Cookie, abeer3 and Pioneer10 like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

apart from the preamble, we're on the same page! rob has wisely held onto assets to his team's benefit. more teams will be giving up later. only a handful are willing to mail in a whole season, but about 1/4 of the league will mail it in after the all star break.

one 1st for rui/gabe/reddish and i'm down, as i'm sure rob would have been.

i might even do rui/vando/reddish/1st.

huge concern. thus they can have gabe and a couple 2nds.

lakerjones and Cookie like this.
  15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Jerami Grant is 30 years old. AD is 31. His contract is actually excellent IMO. You got 4 years for a legit heavy minutes, two way player in the low 30M range. AD will be at over 75M plus in 4 years.

You can't cheap your way to a title. Austin Reaves will be looking for 30M plus, in a couple of seasons. Salaries are about to explode, best to grab a guy on a decent deal right now IMO.

Mone 24 likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

equating AD and grant doesn't help the case. grant really isn't even a third star. AD's giant future salary is a case against trading two firsts for a 4th guy (that's what grant is, imo).

i want grant here, too, but he doesn't move the needle enough to sell out trade possibilities for three years into the future (which is what it would be).

17. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I’m calling BS on this Portland reporter Making up a story about Rob offering 2 first for a player doesn’t make him worth 2 first. Portland can go kick rocks until they get serious.

Khmrp, lakerjones, Juronimo and 5 others like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i feel like there's always a ton of room for half-truths in these situations, as jsm suggested. klutch brokered a deal they though rob might like, based on some conversations (before anyone freaks out--this has happened for years, and not just with klutch/rob), but when the actual conversations happened, it wasn't quite to anyone's liking.

portland can DEFINITELY afford to wait. hell, they can wait forever. nobody cares about them at all. they use that to their advantage in this negotiation. if they're talking to charlotte (an nba franchise an hour from my house that i occasionally forget exists), my guess is the tone is different. and not because charlotte's gm "isn't a snake". but because charlotte is also under zero pressure to actually field a good basketball team.

if grant's going to get here for less than 2 1sts, klutch (not rob) is going to have to work harder, imo.

Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  19. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Nah.. the 4th guy is some nonsense dude, he'd be easily the 3rd best player on this team right now. Who is supposed to rate higher? Tinkerbell or Austin? Ridiculous

The salary thing is indicative of where these contracts are heading period. Look around the League, some guys will be around the 80M range in 4 years. The cap is going to expand accordingly.

Two FRP is probably cap, like the 2FRP for Turner and Hield. The Pacers claim they never discussed any picks with the Lakers at all, let alone two.

20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Who knows? I see some stuff saying that, the Lakers don't want to offer any picks at all. Shrug.. The truth is somewhere between 0 and 2...I guess.