2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    If Gabe is healthy, we don’t really need or have minutes for Dinwiddie.

But that’s a big if. And also Gabe’s contract is a prime candidate to be included in a trade.

So in the event we trade Vincent for a package that doesn’t bring in another PG, Dinwiddie at the minimum would have been a perfect replacement. I don’t think there are any other PGs that would be available at the vets minimum as good as Dinwiddie

Cookie, ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  2. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I'm not devastated that Dinwiddie is gone. He did fine while he was here. I think we see Reaves and DLo staggered away from each other even more to keep one of them on the court at (nearly) all times. We are lacking rim pressure with our guards.

3. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

Gabe sucks. Would rather have kept Dinwiddie even if they made the same amount which they dont.

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    oh good, now we have room to develop a young player

:ADeyeshift:

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Losing out on talent like Spencer at the minimum really sucks, I’m not a fan of this FO at all. The LakerNation guys are haters too, can’t even just be happy running back the same roster that was just a first round exit, SMH

Barnstable, Kenzo, Helljumper and 5 others like this.
  6. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

There's Tyus Jones but he's mostly an offensive guard... Dinwiddie was actually surprisingly good defensively

7. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Meh..Spencer shot 35% from the field, and 25% from 3 against Denver. Not some great miss out, going on here IMO.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

we didn't move gabe or dlo, so dinwiddie knew he wouldn't get much of a chance here. i think he was waiting to see if we did move one or both.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Sucks losing Spencer at the minimum. We're going to need him after we do our guard dump at the deadline.

You rarely find a minimum guy who you can scale up and down usage and they still contribute on both sides whether he's your 5th starter or 8th/9th man.

A lot riding the development and readiness of Max and to a lesser extent Knecht. AND the health and availability of DLO/AR/Gabe. I'm not counting JHS. He's a South Bay player with a bad back until he proves otherwise.

pika1708, sk2408, alam1108 and 4 others like this.
  10. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I think if you gave Jeanie and Rob some truth serum, they'd admit they're okay with this. They want to have a good team to showcase LeBron's last few years, but they don't want to move all of the future picks and young players to go all-in on the next season or two. Probably because they don't think there are realistic moves out there to make us a top contender on the level of Boston, Denver and OKC. I can't say I completely disagree with that sentiment, but the counterargument is well why not just trade LeBron and AD now. Because they want to sell tickets and have the biggest star in the sport play his last seasons here. They're okay with a good, but not great, team that makes headlines.

abeer3 likes this.
  11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

We still have 5.6M, as a mle, to use on Tyus Jones. I imagine that we are trading Tinkerbell, or Vincent first, before bringing in another PG.

12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Seems to be all that matters to you is what they did against one particular team, Denver, who's not even Denver any more going forward. He got his minutes, rotation and role on the floor all jacked up by Ham trying to squeeze Vincent back into the lineup at the worst possible time. Definitely some mitigating circumstances going on there.

13. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

Maybe they're waiting for Carlik Jones and after Olympics Lakers will sign him and trade D-lo
    Who knows

14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

The playoffs are all that matters to me man. Dinwiddie was pretty mediocre in his time here IMO. He was shooting 30% from the field all season in Brooklyn, that's probably why they waived him. He did make a defensive play or two, here and there, and was ok moving the ball. Nothing to get all worked up over though.

I don't blame Ham, for dudes missing wide open shots, I won't be blaming Redick for that either.

We are paying Vincent 11M dollars, he was supposed to play if healthy, Dinwiddie was a stop gap.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think the second apron is a problem here. technically, we could waive reddish and use the tpmle to sign jones (i think), but then you're really handcuffed in a lot of ways for the rest of the year.

reading the tea leaves, i could see us moving dlo or gabe to get a big AND shed some salary (about the amount of the tpmle) and then sign jones with the promise of as starting job. would need detroit to take some offloaded salary for second rounders to make it work, i think.

Slick2021 likes this.
  16. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I have to dig up this recent Athletic article later, on this subject. The gist of it, was with Lebron 's paycut, we could use the 5.6M tpmle and still be slightly under the 2nd apron. Of course, someone has to be moved first, to free up the roster spot.

We could also send out a little more salary, than we took back in trades, and get a bit more wiggle room under the 2nd apron.

I'm not sure using the tpmle, will automatically hard cap you, at the 2nd apron.

abeer3 likes this.
  17. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

hmm....i thought lebron took juuuussst enough to get us a few grand under the second apron.

you're right that simply using the tpmle doesn't hard cap you at the second apron, but simply being over the second apron presents challenges:

no player aggregation in trades (this is a biggie), no cash added to trades, etc.

19. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

One of the articles out on the subject.

LeBron James is taking a nearly $3 million discount to keep the Los Angeles Lakers under the dreaded second apron. James is signing a two-year, $101.355 million deal instead of the two-year, $104 million maximum he could’ve re-signed for, according to league sources.

Along with his player option and a no-trade clause, James’ contract also includes a 15 percent trade kicker, those sources said.

James’ new contract puts the Lakers at just under the $188.9 million second apron. If the Lakers can salary dump a couple of their veteran minimum contracts — attaching a second-round pick to entice a trade partner — they’d create two roster spots and the flexibility to use the $5.2 million taxpayer midlevel exception. The Lakers have preferred to enter previous seasons with only 14 players on their roster for flexibility in trades and on the buyout market.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Trent Jr. and Spencer Dinwiddie are two names to watch for if the Lakers clear enough space to use their taxpayer midlevel exception, according to league sources.

Had the Lakers become a second-apron team, they would’ve suffered several harsh restrictions regarding how they’d be able to build their roster for the rest of this offseason. For example, teams above the second apron cannot trade first-round picks seven years in the future, cannot trade cash in a deal, lose their midlevel exception, are limited to 100 percent salary-matching in trades and cannot combine multiple players in a deal, among several other restrictions.

[​IMG]
    The Pulse Newsletter

Free, daily sports updates direct to your inbox. Sign up

But with James accepting a slight reduction, the Lakers are only limited to first-apron restrictions, which include not being able to acquire a player via sign-and-trade, not being able to use more than the taxpayer midlevel exception (worth approximately $5.2 million), not being allowed to use a pre-existing trade exception or taking back additional salary in a trade, among several other restrictions.

James had previously discussed taking a substantial pay cut to allow the Lakers to sign a notable player for the non-taxpayer midlevel exception. The list of players he would’ve taken a discount for included James Harden, Klay Thompson, DeMar DeRozan and Jonas Valanciunas. However, only Valanciunas was available in that price range, but he ended up signing in Washington on a three-year, $30 million deal.

The Lakers’ roster stands at 15 players, meaning they need to make a consolidation trade if they want to open up a new roster spot.

Required reading
    (Photo: Ronald Martinez / Getty Images)

abeer3 likes this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

this is the important part. those opportunities have largely dried up--not all the way, but getting there.

again, a larger trade where we sent out more than we took back could also clear the wiggle room, but i'm not sure where to find that one.

utah still has some roster spots and money, so maybe they can help us.

Cookie likes this.