2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

maybe it’s baby steps. He took the bench role for the toilets; maybe he’ll scale his bad shots back in Denver?

2. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I think you're overblowing the 2-way players bit. Dallas just won the West with ZERO 2-way players. The closest was probably Josh Green who they just dumped and was like their 7th/8th man

I think whenever someone argues "we should have done something" it should be sustained with what moves would those be. I think 4/80 to Klay is bad. I think dumping DLo to get DeRozan is bad. 2 picks for Grant is bad.
    This off-season I'm just down on Dejounte and Valanciunas. But we need to look at the contest:

Dejounte: we could have send the same amount of picks so it probably came to the players involved. They're maybe high on Daniels and Liddell. We had Max and Lewis who are similar, but were Atlanta interested? Because DLo, Gabe or Rui made no sense to Atlanta, so it's quite likely we couldn't get him because we didn't had the package Atlanta wanted. Is that Rob's fault?

On Valanciunas, maybe we were waiting on Klay. But even if we weren't. Is LeBron cutting 22 million to get a BACKUP C? Does anyone believe this? No Center is playing +25 minutes when you have AD/Bron.
    I would like to have a better C backup than Hayes and been beating the drum for 2 years that we need it to beat Denver. But outside of that, I don't think it's something you use in most of the games. To save AD you're making Bron chase 3s and you can't put Vando on so you don't have a wing/guard stopper

3. DeeZee

DeeZee - Rookie -

Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn
    The Memphis Grizzlies are trading forward Ziaire Williams and a 2030 second-round pick via Dallas to the Brooklyn Nets for Mamadi Diakite, sources tell ESPN. Williams was the 10th pick in the 2021 draft.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Dallas got destroyed in the Finals by a team with a good number of 2-way players, but sure, this team is fine, we’ll be fine, everything is fine because you say so. Also, I can’t post unless I do Pelinka’s job for him? Please, I don’t make 15 million dollars to do so little. Enjoy the season finishing in the play-in if we stay healthy, being another first or 2nd round exit and then making excuses for Rob for another offseason.

If we don’t stay healthy…hoo boy this team is razor thing around the edges and it could get dicey real quick, starting Christian Wood or Hayes if AD is out, playing Reddish and/or JHS meaningful bench minutes if LeBron and one of DLo/Gabe miss time. It’s not my job to find better end of bench players than Hayes, Reddish, JHS, Lewis, etc, that’s what Rob gets paid for, all I know is we currently have 1/3 of the roster devoted to guys who can’t play right now, are fighting for their NBA lives, may never be NBA players, or wouldn't play on a playoff team, so again, if we suffer any meaningful injuries we’re screwed, DLo, Reaves, Rui, Vando, Christie, Knecht, Gabe, Wood, Reddish are not getting this team to tread water when AD and LeBron inevitably miss time. But sure, we’re fine, lack of 2 way players is totally overblown, it’s fine being the 7-11th seed, no big deal, just wasting LeBron’s last good year and AD’s prime is all.

5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    be just good enough to sell tickets to a full house

sign players good enough to sell lots of jerseys

hire a coach just good enough to pass the sniff test

Profit.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  6. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

So, let me do the math:
    We have 9 rotation players - Bronny...jk, Bron, AD, DLo, Reaves, Vando, Rui, Gabe, Knecht and Max

3 fringe players - Wood, Cam, Hayes

3 unproven rookies - JHS, Lewis, Bronny.

Let's take a look at the current champions.
    8 rotation players: Tatum, Brown, Jrue, White, KP, Horford, Hauser, Pritchard

4 fringe players: Tillman, Kornet, Svi, Brisset

3 unproven rookies: Springer, Queta, Walsh

How about that, huh?

SamsonMiodek, abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    so championship???!!!!!!

[​IMG]

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lol..the C Bags rotation players, are simply better than ours obviously. It's not the jersey, but the guy wearing it.

This AD has to be at 5 stuff, continues to get overblown. We won a chip with AD as the power forward. The most minute heavy lineups, that he was in, included Javale at 5, for the record. He was at his best with other guys logging a lot of minutes at 5.

It is a great luxury, that Davis is the best small ball center in the game, but that isn't some kind of mandate, that he needs to spend all his time at that position.

I still think that, whatever move Pelinka is planning, is going to involve a quality big, one expected to play 25M plus a night.

That would improve the defense and rebounding tremendously. James is better defensively on the perimeter, than Rui, and he doesn't have to carry the load, as our 2nd best rebounder on the team, every night.

The chip team pounded folks on the boards too, that part gets overlooked for some reason. We are too weak on D with this current set up, Vanderbilt isn't going to solve that problem IMO. Denver isn't the only team we have issues with either, it's time to switch some things up.

9. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

C Bags 5 most paid players
    Tatum, Brown, Jrue, White, KP
    has 915 millions in contracts:ADeyeshift: how they did that with new agreement

10. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Bird Rights and a crap load of luxury tax coming.

Cookie likes this.
  11. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

C Bags also have an owner who agreed to this big payroll and won’t have to pay the luxury tax bill because he’s selling the team. It’ll be the next guys problem.

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

There aren't any asterisks next to a title, that says that a team, had to pay the luxury tax.

13. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    Agreed.

Only one comes in the bubble. But if the Heat won, the C Bags, Nuggets, etc... They wouldn't say that stuff.

14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

15. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

This is a ridiculous comparison, but ok. Knecht hadn’t played a minute of NBA ball yet, and Max has not proven himself to be a rotation player, I hope both of them will be, but they aren’t at this moment, they’re varying degrees of the unknown. Neither of those 2 can be compared to rotation players on a championship team. I’m not sure I even count DLo as a rotation player either if we’re talking playoffs, because he becomes genuinely unplayable at times, so yeah we’re ok for the regular season, but not for when it matters most when you’re the Lakers.

I still can’t get over you saying the 2-way players thing is overblown, it was one of the first things JJ said we needed as soon as he started speaking as our coach, and it was the reason we won the title in 2020. You can’t come in and say we need 2 way players to get where we want to be and then add literally no one, and then just be like oh ok well we’re fine then, that’s not how it works, it’s just trying to find a silver lining.

Like I don’t know how you expect me to take a discussion serious if you’re just saying things are fine without any actual proof backing that up, just because you’re an optimist. That’s fine though, my stance isn’t going to change here, we are a very mediocre team as is and we are a bad team with any key injuries, we have no real depth, we have no actual back up center and we haven’t for a while now.

Juronimo and VladeD714 like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

About as cynical as you can get. Sorry just don’t agree and that’s fine we don’t have to obviously. Just so many shots taken at so many targets including our best players.

sirronstuff and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I don’t like AR lumped in as a one way player because he’s not. When he’s not tasked with the other team’s best PG every game, which even there he had some good games against them, he’s an average defender at worst.

18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Rui/Maxwell Lewis for Capela
    Tinkerbell/Vanderbilt or Vincent, for Grant
    Sign Tyus Jones to FA contract.

Better team, more versatility. Still slightly under the 2nd apron.

19. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

I've been paying attention to the discussion, and I'm with you @Weezy here. The comparison is kind of silly.

This is probably a 4th-6th seed if I'm being nice. Could be a play-in team, too.

Maybe another move on the margin takes up to a clear top 4, which is what I think we should aim for, IMO. Top 4 and homecourt in the first round.

We'll see. I do think Knecht may take time to catch up to NBA speed, but I think he contributes, which helps.

20. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Yeah... That AR is an awful defender b******* has got to stop. And I know, in a moment there will be someone with some LEWHOCARES metric, but I trust my eyes on defensive abilities much much more than some approximation that fails to account for situtation, other players, coach being an all-time-dumbest-moron etc.