2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    How is Trent an instant starter with us? Is he moving DLo, Reaves, or Rui to the bench?

Are you rushing into accepting a subpar trade to dump DLo just so you can open more playing time for Trent? If so, are you confident that AR can play PG full time?

I don’t think Trent’s decision has anything to do with the player options, nor do I think it somehow indicates Rob was too incompetent to clear a roster spot.

If you hypothetically erased Reddish from the roster such that we had a veteran’s minimum spot to offer, I’m pretty confident Trent would have still picked Milwaukee over us because their roster construction gives Trent a much clearer opportunity to try to earn his next payday

I totally agree with you that I don’t think we can afford to remain inactive, and I’m not buying the idea that we can simply wait until the deadline. It IS very frustrating, and we DO need a backup center. I just don’t think any of this means that our inability to sign Trent is in itself some massive failure.

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I do think Trent starts here next to Reaves, I don’t think DLo is in the team or JJ’s plans, they haven’t mentioned him once, I think they’d use him as first man off the bench to be a scorer, just my take. Not having these roster spots has hurt us, it just has, I’d much rather have kept Prince off the bench over Reddish, and I do think if we had the TPMLE and a large role to offer, Trent Jr would be a Laker. Not getting players we are targeting and linked to is a failure, especially when at least 1/3 of our roster are not currently playable NBA players, unless you’re talking garbage time. I’m getting really tired of this FO being home run move or no move, we need to improve on the margins now. When JJ came in he said we needed some 2 way players, we have added NO ONE, we still have almost an entire starting lineup of offense only guys. Having the roster spots from just not picking up the options on guys like Hayes and Reddish would have at least given us the OPTION to go after players that could have helped like Plumlee and Trent Jr.

3. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I'm somewhat of a Bucks hater but GTJ and Prince both on minimums is really nice for them. Still think they're with the Pacers, Cavs, and Magic in a tier below the Knicks and Philly (with the C Bags at the top obviously), but they're probably at the top of that third tier.

Trent would have been an awesome pickup had we traded DLo. But given the current roster, signing Trent probably would've pushed Max or more likely Knecht out of the regular rotation. I think the FO has decided those guys need to get real minutes to either develop for the post-LeBron era or establish themselves as legit trade pieces.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Rob failed this FA class, i get it if the the team did well last yr but everyone that returned were all disappointments last yr

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
    LA Bron likes this.
  5. Weezy

6. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Not adding Plumlee was weird. He fits a need and has shown he can give you 10 minutes in a playoff game.

Not really sure what this team is trying to do. If they don't even want to try to win a title might as well blow it up and get the most value for AD and Lebron out there.

7. Weezy

It’s entirely possible that the Lakers talked to all these players that have been signed and none of them wanted to come here so they didn’t clear any roster spots, but we will never know if that’s the case. I also completely agree with your last statement as well and have been saying the same thing for a while. AD took an extension, you’d have to think it was told to him we’d try to keep winning. LeBron, the reality there seems less clear, I’m not sure living in LA and finishing his career here, getting as much money as he can as he wants to be part owner of an NBA franchise, playing with his son, factors like this probably go into his staying here above even winning it all. But AD, he’s in his prime, he was healthy last year, if we aren’t trying to win right now we might as well rebuild because winning it all is the goal when you have stars like this, so if you aren’t trying to why not move on and look for the next star to win with. I get that every team has end of bench guys and players they develop, but if you have LeBron and AD in his prime you need to be going all in, not wasting roster spots developing Maxwell Lewis or waiting for JHS to heal up. Cut your losses there and get some players that can contribute.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lebron isn't going anywhere, and trading AD would be a terrible idea. I'm not sure from what I've seen, so far of Pelinka, gives me any confidence, that he could do a rebuild, and produce a contender anyway.

We have two ALL NBA players now, and we are still considered, a play in team.

abeer3 and LA Bron like this.
  9. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Shut up, Bronny earned his spot. :facepalm:

sirronstuff, Toneloc and Khmrp like this.
  10. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Although, we really really do not need TP taking minutes away from K4, so it may have been by design.

11. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

This.

12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

This but also Bucks probably offer them a bigger role than we can... Prince is their go to back up forward behind Middleton and Giannis, while here he'd be fighting for minutes with Rui, Vando and K4. Same with GTJ, he's the clear starting SG for them while here he'd be fighting for mins with Reaves and Max... better chance for him to show out and get the big contract he wanted there.

abeer3 and Helljumper like this.
  13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

dont need to rationalize Pelinka incompetence

14. Helljumper

Student
    And look at it from TP’s perspective. He made BAE money last year and the Lakers theoretically could have given him a raise. The previous coach, who had as one of his most public flaws the fact that he played you too much, just got fired. The team invested into Christie and Knecht who would take a similar spot in the rotation as you.

Do you really want to take a pay cut from your current employer for that situation? Or follow the coach who clearly loved you to a team with a more obvious spot for you in the depth chart?

Not all veteran’s minimum opportunities are the same. Obviously Prince and Trent are much more productive than players like Reddish, so it would be awesome to have them for depth instead. But why would they want to be depth pieces here without a clearly defined opportunity for significant playing time compared to Milwaukee?

Again, I get the frustrations with the FO’s inactivity and mismanagement on the margins.

But I don’t think it’s as simple as “Well if they just found a way to clear 2 roster spots they could have had Trent and Prince for the minimum”. Even if hypothetically we never gave player options to Reddish/Hayes and had two open veteran minimum slots, I don’t think we could have landed Trent/Prince.

I’m frustrated with the offseason in its entirety, but the inability to entice Trent or Prince for the minimum is completely understandable to me.

Now if we’re switching gears to vent about why we didn’t clear the roster spots to bring in a bigger back up C for the minimum like Plumlee or Theis, THAT I can fully get behind. That remains a gaping hole in our depth chart so we clearly had a big role we could have offered them

pika1708, Cookie, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Helljumper

Student
    Sounds like you’re admitting that this specific gripe about his incompetence regarding the inability to sign Prince/Trent for the minimum, isn’t exactly rational.

I can get behind that. Like I’ve been saying, this is a massively frustrating offseason so sometimes venting is warranted and productive even if it’s not completely rational.

But if you’re trying to rationally argue that when it comes to not landing Trent for the minimum, that this transaction in a vacuum represents some massive demonstration of Rob’s incompetence, I can’t get behind that. To argue that we could have landed Trent if only Rob weren’t so incompetent to give Reddish a player option or if Rob had the skills to do a salary dump trade, that math just doesn’t add up to me there

alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

naw incompetence as the 3 fa he signed all came back and he's done NOTHING so far besides giving out unreserved 4yr deal to a 2nd rder that shouldn't have been picked at all

17. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Depth is great, when you have a Championship Quality Team.
    This is not one, so I would much rather see our younger players get valuable burn and improve than guys who won’t be here the following year.
    That being said, Rob’s inability to bring in a serviceable big TWO summers in a row is inexcusable and it will piss me off all season, until he fixes it.

LakeShowAZ, alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Agree: Trent and prince aren’t failures. No legit big is a failure.

LakeShowAZ and alam1108 like this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

We had interest in Trent (per Buha, Irwin and Stein who framed it a little more carefully), but did he have interest in us?

He has a clearer path in Milwaukee and we've done nothing to clear up a position log yet. We might have him a 25 minute a night role post trades or he might be fighting with Max to see who gets 15-18 minutes and who gets the DNP. But I agree seeing yet another player you were interested in go elsewhere and for pennies is frustrating. Period.

Seeing the scraps on the market go elsewhere is frustrating. We're stuck like Chuck and need to really a**** the cost of missing out. How long can you hold on to the dead weight on the roster, hoping to attach them to a bigger deal before anyone worth signing and replacing them with all went elsewhere.

20. 52years

52years - Rookie -

Rob’s failure was giving Hayes and Reddish player options.Extremely disappointing he did that