2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i just hate giving up a bunch of future picks for moves that are largely lateral. lavine's a ceiling raiser. grant and cam johnson are floor raisers.

and if portland and brooklyn were being anywhere close to reasonable, i'm pretty sure rob would have gotten the deal done prior to lebron signing because it would have really helped to know exactly what we were dealing with.

edit: btw, it's pretty clear we're not doing this. i'm just writing this down so when chicago trades lavine to one of our competitors for nothing and he helps them leapfrog us, i can crow like slick about kyrie.

Pioneer10, alam1108, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

They're definitely not being reasonable. But i think the other is too big a gamble with a 40 year old Bron. I understand Brooklyn’s position a bit more because they have several teams interested in their guys. They have several vets they'll be able to sell off whether it's today or in February. Cam's worth 1 first, DFS is worth a few seconds.

Portland I don't get. Teams aren't lining up for Grant. I think you can haggle out a first and either a swap or a few seconds. That's a reasonable meeting grounds if team A only wants to give up one first and team B wants two firsts. That one also would be built around Rui who they like. Nets built around the guy they like.. DLO is trickier with DS on the roster.

Grant has been a really good two way player when his usage was more appropriate to who he is as a player. Cam was decent defensively with Phoenix and you're getting more volume from him as a shooter than say Rui (if that's a DLO deal, you're moving Rui elsewhere).

I think Grant makes us better, but for the Nets deal to make us better you need to get Sharpe from them too.

abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Kings still interested in Kuz

abeer3 likes this.
  4. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Give us back two firsts, and I would totally take that contract off the Bulls hands.

Cookie likes this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

:giggle: ;) ;)

TIME, abeer3, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  6. FrontOfJersey22

Because he’s wildly inconsistent and only has about 10 good games in him per season. That being said, beggars can’t be choosers.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  7. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

A lot of wildly inconsistent players getting paid more than 10-15 millions per season from other teams.I don't know what but Pelinka is doing something wrong

8. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I want some of whatever Washington is smoking.

Pioneer10, abeer3, alam1108 and 3 others like this.
  9. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

[​IMG]

abeer3, Cookie and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  10. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

11. FrontOfJersey22

I’m actually fine with Rob not spending money on these types.
    I would rather he stand pat than hand out bad contracts, or trade for bad ones, that we get stuck with.
    For all of the hate that Mitch got, the dude totally Mitchslapped the League with the Pau trade.
    Since that led to our last two Chips, the entire League has made sure that this won’t ever happen again.
    It going to take building through the draft, leveling up the young players we have, AND getting lucky with that rare “star” who demands to be traded here.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
  12. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

I don't understand Marks's math. I thought $188,931,000 - $188,185,519 = $745,481 under the apron. He says we are 45k under the apron. I'm sure I am doing something wrong on my end. Anyone know?

13. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

You were voted off the GM Island from taking part in this any more ..... after AD played Jokic straight up this year for 5 games and yet you called him a porcelain doll compared to Kessler and said ship his a** out NOW for that guy.

:ADnaughty:

:Fishwink:

14. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

Hey man, can you help me out with the question? Regarding the comment: Isn't it okay for people to have different opinions? WTF, I'm a diehard fan since the Showtime era. BTW, I love AD. Just everybody saying we need a big body to try and contain Jokic. If we get the big body, they wont be able to play next to AD unless they are a great shooter, which is kind of a tall task, given stretch 5s are a rare commodity, and we have limited resources. Might as well leave AD at the 5 and surround him with shooters. I know he is injury prone, hopefully he could stay durable like he did last season. Just tired of hearing he wants to play the 4, when Lebron and Rui are both 4s, and Reddick wants to go with a modern offense. Asking for a stretch 5 that could start is very specific and kind of ties the hands of the front office.

abeer3 likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

You did see Fish winking at you right? Was said in fun ..... but seriously as soon as AD or LeBron is off this team it's the equivalent of starting a rebuild or worse blowing it up and things aren't that dire that we should volunteer to do it several (who knows how many) years before it will happen organically.

16. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

is Rui, Gabe and JHS enough to get Grant here? If yes do that, and get Tyus or another PG at the MLE.

that's the only move on the table that moves the needle somewhat getting us a much-needed reliable 3rd option. Everything else is a lateral move.

lakerjones likes this.
  17. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Money-wise it is enough, 31 mil for those players vs 29 for Grant, so it works under our restrictions. Reports are Portland won’t move off of the 2 first round picks for Grant though, and I’m sorry but that’s ridiculous, 1 first should be enough to take on that contract as he ages. There’s no deal that has been done so far that I’m upset we didn’t do, paying Klay what he got, paying DeRozan what he got, the bad free agent pool this offseason has kind of made teams desperate.

18. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Lakers tax, teams not coming down on their asking prices, I don't really care.

This FA period has sucked and this SL teams sucks, too.

Cookie and alam1108 like this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

As @Weezy said, yeah that's enough for the trade BUT not to do anything else. If you want to spend the MLE or any vet mins, we need to distance ourselves that amount from the second apron amount. Means taking back even less, giving up even more, both and/or finding another dump spot for some dead weight.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

boom. i'm a little bummed the player options have prevented us from plucking a couple good vet mins, but the big deals...hard pass.

Cookie and Toneloc like this.