2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

How’s sexton’s defense compared to Dlo?

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Similarly bad.

Punk-101 likes this.
  3. Punk-101

In:

JJ
    Sexton
    Knecht
    Grant
    Kessler
    Max’s improvement and increased role
    Healthy Gabe

Out:

Ham
    Prince
    Dlo
    Dinwiddie
    Cam
    Vando

Those are significant upgrades. We can’t bank on another year of Lebron and AD health, but I like that roster for 4-5 seed.

abeer3 likes this.
  4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Gun to my head I'll probably do those trade. Sexton and Kessler are still young and their contracts are ending when Lebron theoretically retires, we could reevaluate then. Grant's contract and age scares me though.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

slick corrected me on grant's age. i thought he was 32, but he's 30. i feel like he has at least 2 years, maybe 3 at this level of production, then he has his player option. if i could get cam johnson for the same basic package, i probably opt for that, but i feel like he'll be more expensive.

hard to justify two 1sts for grant with that contract length, though.

Cookie and alam1108 like this.
  6. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Sorry to harp on this, but am I correct in understanding that this is the ONLY thing we can point to that he got “right”?

Because I hate to say it, this isn’t anywhere close to definitive enough proof for me.

I just reviewed the thread, and he didn’t say anything about the Hield/Westbrook saga until after another reporter mentioned it. He even said the Hield talks had stalled (with a built in disclaimer to save face about how things could change) shortly before Woj tweeted that it was about to happen. Didn’t mention anything about Westbrook pivot until Shams tweeted it.

Yes he posted that the Westbrook deal was done while Woj was still tweeting that the deal was nearing completion… but that’s kind of just semantics? After the abrupt pivot from Hield to Westbrook, I think it was clear that when Woj said the Lakers were “near a deal for Westbrook” that it was inevitably going to happen. It’s an easy bet to make if you’re Mr. Rambis to just say it’s a done deal knowing more likely than not it will happen

Just saying, if I wanted to portray myself as an insider, as someone with notifications on for Woj/Shams tweets and a familiarity with how they word likely imminent deals, I probably could have made similar posts on a similar timeline as Mr. Rambis on that day.

I get that he’s “our” insider, but I think it’s healthy and natural to be skeptical towards “anonymous insiders” like this (I mean we even commonly discuss skepticism towards the sources or motivation of NON-anonymous insiders with an established reputation). I haven’t seen anything that justifies definitively dismissing this skepticism towards Mr. Rambis as “misinformation”.

TIME, abeer3 and alam1108 like this.
  7. Punk-101

Wish we could swing this:
    Austin, Dlo, JHS, Hayes, 2 frps
    For
    Lauri, Sexton, Kessler

abeer3 likes this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

my sense was that barns had verified off-record that mr. rambis actually held a position that would give him access to information. but by rambis's own account, that access seemed limited/very tangential.

anyway, we seem to be keeping it close to the vest. i'm sure rob has been on the phone constantly for weeks. we're not going to hear about every detail of these conversations.

Helljumper likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

pretty sure markkanen's price is as high or higher than bridges. austin would be VERY attractive to utah, though.

given that markkanen's not a perfect fit, i'm not sure i go that far--and i'm not sure they'd even take it.

again, if i'm utah, i'm not sure why i'm even moving markkanen. just pay him. you have nobody on the books!

Punk-101 likes this.
  10. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
  11. Helljumper

Student
    LakeShowAZ likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

that definitely settles the "can you combine S&Ts in trades" question that comes up a lot around here.

the two non-guaranteed years is pretty close to cap circumvention if you ask me.

Cookie and JSM like this.
  13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    is that them dropping some payroll?

14. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

15. Helljumper

Student

Since we always seem so interested in reuniting with the baby Lakers, I wonder if we’ve spun the tires on Ingram.

He makes around $36 million, so on paper something like DLo, Rui, and 2 FRPs could get it done (probably has to involve a third team because NOP definitely wouldn’t want DLo when they already have Murray and McCollum)

Of all the players we’ve been recently linked to, Ingram in a vacuum is the most worthy of 2 FRPs IMO. But I’m not sure he’s a great fit alongside Lebron and AD.

And I’m not sure if we’d get outbid. Or if maybe there aren’t too many teams looking to give up significant assets AND presumably have to lock in Ingram to a max extension. And maybe we wouldn’t want to do that either.

pika1708 and abeer3 like this.
  16. DeeZee

DeeZee - Rookie -

Evan Sidery
    @esidery

Keep an eye on Isaac Okoro as a sign-and-trade candidate where the Cavaliers can also secure a wing upgrade. Cleveland has been canvassing the trade market for an impact wing. Okoro, the No. 5 overall pick from the 2020 draft, shot a career-best 39.1% on threes this season.

abeer3 likes this.
  17. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I gave the Westbrook trade as proof just because it’s an easy to follow 1,2,3 timeline and a concrete declaration the deal was done with no ambiguity. Most of the other things would take a long time to explain

We have pages and pages tracking Mr. Rambis’s posts and the Mods and I have been discussing his posts for years and years and haven’t found anything to be proven incorrect, and with as much info as he’s shared over the years, that I can’t find anywhere else, there should have been some blatant inconsistencies by now.

We also requested from Mr. Rambis proof of his connections to *edit* and recieved it. Mr. Rambis requested I only share it with a few of the staff here, to make sure it doesn’t leak, and so only myself and the other Admin of LB have seen it, so not even the Mods. I can’t share what the proof was, but it was convincing to me.

Skepticism is fine, and I’m still holding on to a little myself, but the “he’s never gotten anything correct” is blatantly untrue and we have verified his connections.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 11:15 AM
    Cookie, lakerjones, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  18. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    You are free to doubt the validity of Mr. Rambis as an "insider". He's not "ours". We are not and were not promoting him as such. He appeared on the site back then and when he made a claim to a certain kind of connection to the team we had a behind the scenes interaction with him. He provided some convincing bona fides. He worked for (no idea whether he still does) a marketing firm that did work with the Lakers. He was occasionally privy to info. The Westbrook info that @Barnstable posted above was the most clear and definitive and verifiable case of him having info in advance of public knowledge. But, if you want to conclude he was another of the many fake insiders and that was just him taking a chance by adding to a tentative Woj tweet, you are free to do so. It doesn't change the fact that he did work where he worked and did get that trade exactly right publicly before anyone else did.

What I personally liked about him is that he was careful in what he posted. He never made any false claims that I caught. Like the Reddit NBAInsider that claimed we were submitting Grant trade paperwork a few days ago, and then went dark and no such trade was ever submitted.

Regarding the questions of where he is now, I have no idea. He is not like Batman who responds whenever we send up the Mr. Rambis signal.

432J, Cookie, JSM and 4 others like this.
  19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    One more Mr. Rambis comment:

I remember he was involved in the whole Kawhi free agency saga. He shared he was surprised when Kawhi did not ultimately sign with the Lakers because his team where he worked was told to start prepping marketing plans for Kawhi as a Laker. But he never called it as a done deal.

Cookie, JSM, Barnstable and 2 others like this.
  20. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

If we can bring Ingram back, we definitely should IMO.