2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

Just got word from my sources guys.

Pelinka has left Disneyland. Today might just be the day.

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I need the Blazers to explain to me why we have to give up more assets for an older, more expensive Grant than they gave Detroit for him.

Here's what the deal was:
    So a protected 1st, two 2nd and a 2nd round swap. But they want two firsts from us. That math ain't mathing.

My offer would be a top 10 protected first and three seconds. Laker/Rob tax is alive and well.

3. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

everybody wanted two firsts from us for russ...until they didn't anymore. portland's telling the market to give them two 1sts or we'll trade him to the lakers. and yes, this is the laker tax. managers know teams hate to see us succeed. most of the time, that hatred doesn't get in the way of their own self-interest (hence the russ trade finally getting done).

this is also why i'm not joining the freak out chorus. prices will come down. different players will become available.

for example, mitchell's off the market...for now. i think he'll be back on it next summer. i'd like to have as many of our picks as we can by then.

anyway, i'm still hoping we've done a lot of tire-kicking on lavine. it's becoming my favorite potential move for a few reasons. it's bigger upside than anything else discussed, it shouldn't cost us draft picks, and it shouldn't cost us any player we want to keep going forward. it also won't require lebron to take a cut if we do it right. weirdly, it will also take away deadline pressure, as we won't be in a position to make much of a move after doing something like this. normally, i'd say that's bad, but...

something else that's guiding my thought process right now is i have this weird feeling this will be lebron's last season.

Barnstable and Cookie like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

ok, so derozan and all S&T/MLE deals are off. this makes sense to me. especially hearing that derozan wasn't planning to take much of a cut himself.

6. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Bron signing for the Max. 2y though with a PO. Keeping options for next year. He should opt out again and see if he can reduce to get someone else like this. I read he was going to this, sign year by year.

At least we are moving on. I think Prince re-signs, we keep everyone and lose Dinwiddie. Wait for a trade to appear.

Underwhelming offseason. It's not awful, but it's underwhelming. We keep assets and will be ready when player A is available.

Biggest loss was Dejounte. He was there to get. After that, no move would turn our franchise around, so it's fine to wait for better.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  7. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

LeBron exposing Rob was hysterical.

“I’ll take 20m less, do something.”

Rob does literally nothing.

“Cool. Let’s do it again next year.”

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

YES! Don is the guy I'm looking at too.
    He has a PO in 2 years, when Rui and Gabe expire. We only have AD and Vando on the books. Reaves will sign a new contract that year too, he has a PO he will decline.

That's our summer imo. We have another pick by then + the one of that draft and can really turn things around. Don won't win or get to the ECF, so he will walk for sure. Knicks are out of the picture, so it's either Miami or us. We have to do our job convincing him.

Until then, we should try to assemble the best roster without screwing those plans.
    Btw, Lavine has a PO that year, that I imagine he will activate, pays 48M. But if he does that, we can S&T for Don. If Don walks, Cleveland would gladly take a huge expiring of Lavine to have a year to readjust plans. They even may use that expiring for a trade later. You don't replace Don through FA if you're the Cavs, so it could work.

That's 2 years from now, but that's my plan A if I was managing this franchise. Doesn't mean I don't jump to a trade in the meantime as long as they don't mess those plans. Lavine yes. Cam and Grant have guaranteed contracts after that season, don't interest me.

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, it's actually better for us than signing a 3 year deal, tbh.

i'm glad we didn't go the S&T route. we'd have had to pay to get off salary for buys better than the incoming targets, tbh. i actually still think we're going to make trades before the season starts, too. we might not, but not for lack of trying.

i think he was only there if you wanted to move reaves for him. i never did. i'm just mad because he was a good fit for what we needed, and he was traded to a conference rival using our unprotected 2025 first--another reason to be careful about moving unprotected picks in the future. this one's ok because it was AD, but if it's jerami grant that you traded for and it's two years past his prime when this happens...yikes.

10. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

To be clear, Lebron was NEVER taking a $20M discount. It was always going to be a salary dump (DLo, Rui) and then he'd consider shaving a few million if it got us the full MLE. Now Lebron looks like a good guy for offering to take less, but we're probably a better team for not dumping DLo and future picks for an old Klay.

Klutch is very calculated. I'm pretty certain they knew it was unlikely we get the MLE, so they float this out there as a possibility to give more credence when Lebron pressures the team to make trades during the season.

But to reiterate, this was never going to be more than a few million, not the $20M that twitter is making it out to be.

pika1708 and abeer3 like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

so what you wanted was to trade dlo for demar derozan on a 3 year deal (probably adding 2nd rounders because lebron pressure?)?

and yes, it's definitely a masterful PR move from lebron because it's being interpreted as his willingness to take a big cut, but that huge cut was contingent on klay or derozan taking their own cut to make it happen (wasn't happening). further, the warriors weren't playing ball with us on the S&T, just like the clippers weren't going to play ball with the warriors on PG.

12. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

I agree on Klay and this very well could be true. Regardless, it’s a well designed response to all of the “LeGM” garbage that people say.

LeBron is the ONLY reason we landed AD and won a ring. He is also to blame for Westbrick.

The rest of this roster construction lies with Rob. He’s a terrible GM.

13. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

I’m not a huge Derozan guy but I would say DLo has absolutely proved he is trash in the playoffs. We aren’t winning if he is our 3rd/4th wheel IMO.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

beat me to it and more clearly stated. it was some hocus pocus. notice it didn't happen at all. lebron could still offer to shave some off to help facilitate trades right now. second apron makes trades harder. rob--and every other gm who's spoken about it--isn't lying. but instead...

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

this isn't an answer. what i asked was whether you'd prefer 34 year old derozan on a 3 year, 65 million dollar deal or dlo on a one-year 18 million dollar deal.

16. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
  17. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

I’d roll the dice with Derozan at this point. LeBron has 2-3 years left anyway and we are headed to a massive rebuild.

18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Probably because Phoenix gave up Bridges and Johnson, plus 4 FRP, and a pick swap for KD. Then Brooklyn flipped Bridges alone for 5FRP by himself.

Value went up. When Grant got traded to Det, he was just establishing himself as a rotation piece, he avg 12 pts in 26 min a game in Denver. That was a fair trade, 2 FRP is a fair trade now. Grant is only 2 years older than Bridges.

I've posted those two guys numbers twice, There isn't some large degree of separation between the two at all.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

ok. i think being handcuffed to derozan is a bad idea, and i'll take what's in the mystery box over that possibility. we can revisit in march.

Barnstable and Cookie like this.
  20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

With what roster spot is Prince re-signing? Are you basing that off us just going a space clearing move to dump a minimum guy, or maybe waive one? He’d have to take the minimum I believe, that’s all we have to offer. I still think some deal is made, maybe even LaVine, to clear some spots. I

I disagree it wouldn’t be an awful offseason though, we were a first round exit with LeBron and AD playing 70+ games each, our goal was supposedly to get a big and we still currently only have Wood/Hayes. I don’t think Castleton is the answer either, but we don’t even have a roster spot if we thought he was, if someone offers him better than a 2-way spot he’s gone. I think at the very least we may need to shed some salary to get away from the 2nd apron, so while I’m not expecting anything big now, I do expect something. If we go into the season with Reddish, Hayes, and Wood still on this team.. I don’t even want to think about that. Just start the rebuild at that point and get what you can for AD.