2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    All this talk about what players lakers trying to get, and i feel like its all pointless. No idea what the “coach” is going to be running, not to mention who the rest of his staff is going to be to help him…. Just roll with last years squad and see what kind of mess this coming year will bring us. Cuz so far, its definitely looking like to be filled with some drama and antics.

2. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Don’t want Hield for us, but he feels like a good fit for GSW to replace Klay

I’m losing my ability to be patient or rational. If we go another 24 hours without SOME sort of transaction, I’m going to pop a blood vessel.

And now that I said this I’m sure we’re going to get a Woj bomb tomorrow of “BREAKING: Lakers agree to trade Cam Reddish and a protected second round pick to the Pistons. This is a move to grant potential roster space flexibility, but per sources no follow up moves are imminent”

alam1108, LA Bron, Barnstable and 3 others like this.
  3. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

I've been waiting since Sunday, too. :(.

4. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

I wonder how much getting LaVine would appease Lebron, and if there is some way for him to take a pay cut to bring him in. The Lakers FO understands how much more valuable first-round picks are in the new CBA for many reasons. You make an excellent point about how a Lavine trade plays both sides. Lakers FO could appease Lebron who apparently doesn't have a great eye for talent, as evidenced by his interest in WB and DDR. , but low-key appease themselves by adding a first round pick or two.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Mikal Bridges got dealt for Bogdanovic, 5 FRP, 4 unprotected,1 unprotected pick swap, and a 2nd rd pick.

He's 2 years younger than Jerami Grant, and they've put up similar numbers over the last two seasons. However Grant isn't worth 2 FRP?

That's ridiculous ..Must just be some posturing going on here..or "negotiating ". If you prefer.

https://stathead.com/basketball/ver...layer_id2=grantje01&p2yrfrom=2023&p2yrto=2024

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Why does James need to take a paycut for Lavine? He's under contract, we have the salaries to match, that isn't a S&T. We are getting a FRP in the process too.(allegedly)

7. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

How is GS doing all this? Buddy, Lauri, im shocked they didn't add Paulina...

Cookie likes this.
  8. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I want that FRP as ballast and consolation prize for taking in a player we will not see in court most of the time but holds 30% of the payroll

Cookie, ElginTheGreat and Slick2021 like this.
  9. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Chicago might be the only team besides Brooklyn, I guess, that would welcome Tinkerbell with open arms too. Portland probably doesn't want him.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  10. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Grant is Klutch too.

11. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah, I feel like every end of day this month we've just been pivoting for "the next best idea"

You like Sexton for DLo? I feel we lose shooting and don't get as much defending. Maybe Sexton plays better in postseason, maybe. But I'm curious with DLo under JJ and with Vando back
    This is weird. Why would Brooklyn ask for the same for DFS and Cam Johnson? I feel it's more wishful thinking than reporting or leaking. Makes no sense.

I also don't get how we expect to get Cam for no picks.
    Also feel that if we are sending DLo in a trade, we need a PG back too
    I don't think that's fair.
    Rob turned Russ "we have to give FRPs to dump him" in DLo, Vando and Beasley that got us to the WCF in a "lost season"
    Signed the two 6MOTY in Schroder and Harrell.
    Signed Marc Gasol
    Signed Prince, Monk, Gabe who just started in the Finals.

He's had good moves. More good moves than bad ones. Do you have more than 5 bad moves to defend your point?

abeer3 likes this.
  12. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I really don’t want to argue this anymore because it doesn’t matter, Rob isn’t going anywhere, but ok, sure. All one of those players are gone, or currently being shopped, except maaaybe Vando. That’s what we have to show from our title team that the FO panicked and threw away because AD and Bron got hurt when we were clearly beating Phoenix and Kyrie, Durant, and Harden teamed up in Brooklyn. I’m not going to rehash that argument any more than that, that horse isn’t just dead it’s dead and buried. I mean aside from that (and that is a LOT, trading good players for Russ, letting Caruso walk) a lot of on the margins stuff, like letting Lonnie Walk after a promising playoffs, letting Beasley and Bamba walk rather than trying to use their salary in a trade, the JHS pick when clearly better players were on the board, not adding a single actual Center to the roster last offseason. It’s a lot of what he doesn’t do more than what he does, he overcorrects most of the time I’d say, some really poor asset management, again on the margins. Last offseason was very good though overall, I thought he signed our own players to good deals, I really don’t feel like I’m too harsh on Rob, I judge him the same way I did Mitch, you run the Lakers, you have to get it done, that’s the job, that’s why we have a new coach every 2 years.

Rob still has time to make this team better, but we don’t look good right now, I don’t see how anyone can deny that. I don’t like the look of signing Bronny to a guaranteed contract before he’s played a single minute for us, hard for me imagine any 2nd round pick taken 55th that isn’t LeBron’s son would get that deal. We also literally cannot make a pitch to free agents right now that we want to sign them because we don’t have any roster spots, so any promise made can’t be a true promise unless we have a space clearing trade in place. The coaching stuff isn’t a great look either, summer league is starting and JJ won’t be coaching because he doesn’t have a single assistant hired yet. The shine is coming off of the Lakers more than a bit here, we sucked for years before LeBron and I fear we’re going to see how bad it really is once he leaves if they can’t land anyone with him even willing to take a pay cut.

13. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. I definitely think the Klutch relationship has helped us over the years and concerned about what would happen if they exited the picture.

14. ElginTheGreat

Trevor losing his patience and getting worried does raise my concern levels. Lol

alam1108, DeeZee, JSM and 1 other person like this.
  15. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I'd rather have them do nothing then come up with another Westbrook move this year. Take your time, see what's available. Don't make moves for the sake of making moves.

Juronimo, Cookie, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  16. ElginTheGreat

I get it to an extent but The team can’t let the Westbrook deal prevent them from making moves.

Especially when the roster clearly has needs and we are already going to be dealing with a rookie coach.

Kenzo likes this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Overall Rob has made very solid moves. He’s not participating in deals where the other team wants to bend him over. I have no problem with that, but at the end of the day, it’s almost an impossible task.

• Take advantage of Lebron’s final years
    • Compete for a chip
    • Keep and develop our young talent
    • Bring in another star
    • Don’t trade away too many assets
    Some of the stuff directly conflicts, so I get making measured moves.

But not having any assistant coaches yet? I guess JJ really put zero thought into a coaching staff. For a guy that has prided himself on meticulous preparation, it really feels like the ball is dropped in this department, and just feels really odd.

karacha, Cookie, LakeShowAZ and 2 others like this.
  18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

But see that’s part of it too, Rob hired JJ. And if we want to talk optics JJ was made to look like the consolation prize very publicly after the Hurley fiasco. That’s what I’m talking about with Rob and this front office, there’s a LOT of selling going on, but they deliver less than half the time if I’m generous. Plan A almost never works out with them, but plan A is what they sell us all the time. Vogel was like their 3rd or 4th choice for a coach, Redick was their 2nd at most, if Ham was their first that also might not speak well of them haha. They’re currently trying to sell us on this being a championship team or that that is the goal here when it’s not really if we are also trying to develop youth at the same time, and trying to sell us on Bronny earning a full roster spot on his own merit. I mean, no, sorry, not buying it. If they’re this bad at selling us on stuff, I can see why maybe they have a hard time selling big name players, coaches, and other GMs when trying to make trades.

sirronstuff and ElginTheGreat like this.
  19. ElginTheGreat

Agreed completely.

it’s like, eventually, yes we will put together a coaching staff. That doesn’t necessarily mean that the path to get there didn’t matter and that the front office did a great job.

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

Certainly is strange that we haven't made any hires for assistant coach position

Maybe they are holding the cards close to their chest and are going to announce them all at once?

Just spitballing at this point

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.