2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Both got resolved, one by plea bargain to a lesser offense and one by settlement and apology. That’s the truth.

2. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

What happened to that guy Skylar Mays ?
    He could be playing more than Ham allowed

Cookie, PurPle n GoLd 1 and abeer3 like this.
  3. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Okay, that proves so much. It doesn’t disregard the facts presented in a case. I’m not making them up.
    All judicial cases throughout the history of this country are always resolved purely based off of the evidence, right?
    Do you understand anything about what has gone on in our legal courts since their inception?
    A black man accused by a white woman is always going to be decided with no bias involved- every single time. Yup.
    Do you really understand how these cases work?
    I think not.
    No need to go further with this back and forth because obviously you were a “witness” to all of the events.

Juronimo likes this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

And before turning your nose up at the source, he was first on the Grant report this summer.

I think ultimately there has to be a middle ground of multiple 2nds instead of a second first

5. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    wtf :Laugh: you absolutely proved my point

6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’m not giving up a first for any of those players either, and on that same show both Anthony and Harrison said they’d rather trade for LaVine and get a first back than send a first for any of those players as well. What’s most concerning from that show is the assistant coaching stuff. Seems assistants make more money a lot of other places, and see us as kind of “volatile” right now. That’s not great, and the money thing has to be why we can’t land a guy like Stotts. Starting to feel more and more that Jeanie needs to sell, the modern NBA requires someone to be able to spend on all the important little stuff that we don’t seem to be able to in order to be a top organization.

7. FrontOfJersey22

If your point is “I will not be able to reasonably debate with someone here without bowing out by posting laughing emojis,” then yeah, you proved your point.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i buy most of what irwin reports, despite my complaints about him. i just think he takes extreme editorial license, particularly when it can cast a negative light on very specific people.

i think the issue is that these are probably unprotected firsts, and they're well into the future. i bet if these were protected, one of these deals is done. plus, any deal not involving dlo means the other team is taking on salary beyond next year, which may raise the cost.

i'd send a lotto-protected first for brown, even with his bad turn of late.

i'd send a top-10 protected for johnson. again, he looked worse (not as bad as brown) after moving out of phx, but that could be situational--these are role players.

i'd send a top-6-8 protected pick and a lotto-protected swap for grant, provided they're taking rui/vando or rui/gabe as the salary. hell, i might gamble and go unprotected swap in 2026 to portland because i think they'll still suck then, so worst case we drop a couple spots.

we'll eventually hear the ask, but i doubt we're just refusing to move moderately protected 1sts right now.

edit: and looking above, i'm probably stating my absolute max on these deals, not what i'd hope for but what i'd do if lebron's outside my house with a bat at 2am.

lakerjones, Helljumper, JSM and 4 others like this.
  9. FrontOfJersey22

I will always be in with “the Buss kids should sell” because Jeanie has proven time and time again that she’s in over her head and she runs the Franchise like it’s 1983. She still believes that “Laker Exceptionalism” is all you need to run a successful Franchise.
    How many other Franchises around the League have a completely useless voice like Linda Rambis- a completely unqualified voice with real input on coaches and who knows what else?

alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  10. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    I proved my point that you will turn a blind eye if it’s a beloved Laker who gets in trouble with the law and jumped on someone if he is not. My position was always to separate the legal troubles and personal controversies away from the basketball court. Unlike you, I don’t judge when I don’t know what exactly transpired. I don’t go on full diatribe about domestic violence history as a one all be all disqualification for Laker membership after he already suffered the consequence of his actions

11. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    What exactly is Brooklyn asking for Cam Johnson? Are they asking for AR or something too?

If all they care about is a single FRP and matching salary, I’d be all over that. I don’t see how you can expect to get him without giving up a FRP

He’s a legit young wing who can play the 3 and the 4, shoots around 40% from 3 on high volume, and locked down for ~$23 million the next 3 seasons (which is looking like a steal the way a lot of these new deals are going). Admittedly I don’t know much about his defense, but I was under the impression he has the perception of being a solid defender

Something like DLo + Gabe + JHS+ Reddish + FRP for Cam Johnson and Schröder would be a decent way to balance the roster IMO

Then Rui + Wood + the other FRP for Lopez

Bring back Dinwiddie with TPMLE, Prince with non-bird rights

Schröder / Dinwiddie / Bronny
    Reaves / Christie / Knecht
    Johnson / Prince / Lewis
    Lebron / Vanderbilt
    AD / Lopez / Hayes

alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  12. Weezy

Irwin did say teams want a first (or 2 for Grant), and/or they want Reaves, and Reaves is a non-starter for the Lakers for these kind of players. I should clarify my post above, I would give up a first for Grant, and I would give up a protected first for Johnson, just no firsts for DFS and me personally no firsts for Brown. But again, repeating myself, but I don’t see why we don’t just start the rebuild if what we want most now is to develop players. That conflicts with LeBron’s timeline, which is now, or maybe even gone depending how his body holds up this year and if this is the year his legs finally start to go and he starts bricking threes. If they want to go the youth, development thing, do it, it’s coming anyway at some point. But, that doesn’t sell tickets I guess.

abeer3 and Helljumper like this.
  13. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Might be crazy, but teams are adamant about giving up firsts for some of these players, I’d just pull the trigger on Lavine + a first.

I get the injury concerns and the contract, but upside wise it has some in terms of Lavine, we clear roster spots and can add other players that fit the new vision and get another first.

In addition to crazy, maybe I am just desperate.

Weezy and Helljumper like this.
  14. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Completely agreed. One FRP (protections are debatable) are fair for Grant or Johnson, but too much for DFS or Bruce Brown.

I also agree that we seem to be stuck in this weird middle ground of trying to win now vs maintaining assets for a rebuild, and we need to pick a direction.

Starting to feel like a Lavine trade that brings in draft assets might be the best way to go if we’re trying to play both sides. Still very risky, so you only do it if you are confident in Lavine’s health. But that probably satisfies Lebron/AD, could help us win now if Lavine is healthy, and gives us more assets to try another homerun swing for the true next franchise cornerstone down the line

pika1708 and Weezy like this.
  15. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

I have a friend in Schaumburg, IL. Big Bulls fan. We talk daily. I keep up with their beat writers and roster to keep him updated. I don't want LaVine's contract. If healthy? He's a perfect third fit, but he's not healthy, and I don't think that will improve.

Grant is the only one worth a pick and that's about it. Offseason sucks so far, but I'm hoping for the best.

FrontOfJersey22 and Cookie like this.
  16. Weezy

Other things Irwin said on this show, we have had talks with the Jazz, but they are more focused on negotiating with GS for Lauri Markkanen, but that’s somewhere we could still look. Gary Trent Jr was brought up, said he’s on Milwaukee’s radar. Main thing he said regarding that and all free agents though, is that their agents look at our roster and ask, “with what roster spot are you going to sign my client?”. So yeah, this player option players opting in this is screwing us from the free agents perspective. Probably in trades to a degree as well, because you can only trade one minimum contract per deal either with the new CBA or our current tax level standing. So yeah, we literally have no spots with Knecht and Bronny signing and if/when LeBron re-signs, moves will have to be made. Starting to see LaVine as more and more attractive if it gets you a pick or even some 2nds because that’s likely a 4 for 1 deal and clears roster spots. I just hope if we do a deal like that there are still any decent free agents left.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  17. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    Yeah Lavine could balance the roster by getting 4 players out of the roster in one swoop. I will not be happy with it but it seems the only practical solution

18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Rob crying into his pillow tonight

Cookie, alam1108 and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  19. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
  20. Weezy

:D Heild is one of the reasons I question Rob’s GM ability. Had we not traded for Russ, Heild was the target, and I think that was a bad move too. It seems either Klutch gets us players we wouldn’t otherwise be able to land, or we end up with nothing or minimums. So we can hate on Klutch, and I do sometimes for sure, but I do wonder how Rob would look without their assistance. Maybe like he does now if they’re trying to stay out of this one, not great.