2024-25 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 22, 2024.

1. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

LBJ is on his way out, AD is 31, and one of the reasons I'd be careful if I'm Rob is to get the right person at the right age. Ideally, 24-28 is the bracket I'm looking at when we're looking for impact pieces. If we send these picks out, we have to build a post-LBJ window and look to fit pieces around AD and Reddick, IMO. They also have to be pieces you can flip down the line like we're attempting to do now with our middling salaries and I'm sure went into the thinking last year when Rob gave out some of these contracts at the amounts and years when we gave him an A plus last summer.

FYI: I'm fine with DeRozan on a 1 year deal for $12.9 and I was fine with Klay on a two-year at about $12.9 up to around 17 million a season. I'm also fine with and may want to keep Russell. I understand why those are down on Russell - but there is nights during the regular season against lesser competition (those games still matter for seeding purposes) where he does perform like a third star.

There's just a lot to consider, but I don't want to run this same roster back. We need some changes.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

LBJ: I present Max Christie and Bronny. Does that sound better?

ROFL.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

It went over your head I guess. So we can park this for now, and perhaps when the Mavericks don't make it back to the Conference Finals, you will begin to get it. Every season is different, the Nuggets were the next big thing in the West, like the Suns, the Warriors were back, like the Lakers etc. Everyone was in a great position moving forward, until they weren't.

The West is brutal.

4. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Heck, I am moving out of California over taxes and cost of living. Been thinking this would come up with athletes, publicly, sooner than it has. At this point in time, if I had a chance to play with Lebron or Doncic, I would probably pick Doncic. Just because his star is still rising.

5. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

doesn't matter if they make it back to the WCF or not. the point is that they've had more success in recent years than the lakers have, which is why it's simply ridiculous to claim that this lakers team is in a better position to win than the mavs are

what makes the lakers be in a better position than dallas? the fact that they have "healthy lebron and AD"? according to you, the lakers were automatic title winners when those two were healthy but instead they were gentlemen swept in the first round

the fact that klay chose to play for the mavs instead of offering what the lakers were offering says it all. but hey, i guess you know better than the guys who actually play the game

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Nope. I basically watch SOME Laker games these days, but little else.

7. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
  8. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Kessler needs to get paid next year. Do you want to pay 25 per (it's Claxton's number) to a center like him? We would be committing to AD at the 4 for longer stretches. It could be a way of preserving his body for longer years, which benefit us.
    Don may be a FA when Bron retires, maybe that's our play. He won't win in Cleveland and will want out, eventually. I'm targeting him in the next couple seasons. He has a PO in 2 years

abeer3 likes this.
  9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I’m hoping we are getting somewhere with Brook Lopez talks because otherwise there’s slim pickings left for 5s. Plumlee for vet min? Still pissed that Valunciunas is off the board for MLE money.

JSM and Barnstable like this.
  10. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Plumlee is going to Phoenix.

Wiseman was my reclamation project candidate. I’m not panicking yet, but if we try to run it back with Hayes/Wood as backup centers, that’s a major problem. I’ll show some patience to see if Rob pulls some moves around the fringes that we weren’t expecting.

11. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Be careful what you wish for, I hear Frank McCourt is interested in buying the Lakers!!!

LakeShowAZ likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

dallas is a much better situation than ours currently.

but...we should have known that, right? i think pursuing klay was fine, but like others, i kinda expected that plans b, c, and d would be faster to follow. and maybe plan b was to actually do not much at all. but i don't buy that. i think they were privately hoping dlo would opt out (i still think it's better he didn't). i'm sure they knew him opting in was possible and had plans ready if he did, but it's clearly not the way they wanted it to go.

anyway, i already outlined above why i think there was never any real plan for lebron to simply take a huge cut for an mle signing, and i don't think there's a workable S&T out there that would make lebron even take the smaller cut that would require. the route has to be standard trades for players under contract, imo.

432J likes this.
  13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

It still went over your head I see. We won a chip after not making the playoffs, in the previous season. So did Golden State..The Mavs flipped their core for Kyrie and got to Finals. It's who you have now, and what the other teams are doing, what you did last season is irrelevant, in regards to winning the Conference. That's why nobody has repeated in awhile.

A healthy Lebron and AD should make you a contender, but it doesn't garuntee anything, especially when you have guys like Chokeolo in your rotation. Our shot was last season, we missed.

I'm a Laker fan, of course everyone should want to play here. As far as Klay, I'm glad we didn't cough out 20M per, I only wanted him for the MLE. Rumor has it, that he had concerns about how we run s***, shrug..good luck to him, 4 years and 80M would have been ridiculous for us IMO.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i like wiseman as the new monk/walker/wood flyer. i wanted goga for that but he signed for like 9 per, lol.

i wanted plumlee last year and this year and am annoyed we don't seem to have him on our radar.

anyway, i agree that the hayes/wood thing didn't work. wood's a 4 and hayes is a 3rd string center. we need a backup or starting center.

i don't love the options out there. houston has to be thinking jock landale was a mistake. they've got sengun and adams for that position. would they take the hayes/reddish/wood platter, cut them and give us a couple 2nds for eating his deal?

would charlotte take a flier on wood and eat reddish for nick richards?

would lebron cut enough salary to sign xavier tillman to the tpmle?

maybe if we deal with brooklyn, we can get sharpe thrown in along with whichever target (johnson, DFS, schroder) comes back.

i'm trying here.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

daryl morey (eWins) FA scoreboard so far:

[​IMG]

VladeD714, TIME and Cookie like this.
  16. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  17. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

At least we haven't gotten worse I guess.

lakerjones, abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Making moves in Free agency was never a realistic plan, we don't have any cash, we already knew what our roster was going to be, heading into free agency. This free agent market sucks anyway. I'm sure that we knew this months ago.

Trades were the only way to go. Klay and Derozan popped up..still don't get the 4 year 80M s*** tho

19. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

yes, and the mavs roster right now is constructed better than the lakers are plus they are making moves like signing klay, thus making giving them a better shot at contention. but i guess that's too difficult of a concept for you to grasp

20. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Do you have any examples of this account actually having an accurate scoop? I generally don’t put much stock into these types of accounts.

Feel like they’re just reading the tea leaves from what Buha and Irwin said about potential Grant interest so they’re just trying to throw something at the wall and hope it sticks

pika1708, Wino, LakeShowAZ and 2 others like this.