2023-24 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

It's a bit hard to sign for the vet min after losing 7.5M you were expecting to get.
    Maybe we can sell him the Monk experience. He would be perfect. But I imagine other contenders using some exception on him. Wouldn't mind doing the same but that would mean either losing both Beasley/Bamba (aka trading chips for an upgrade) for the full MLE (wouldn't give it all but if we have it we can split it) or Schroder for the TPMLE (if he indeed accepts that)

On another note, always find this silly season tough to follow. While you have tons of curiosity on what teams are aiming at, the reality is that you get a flood of reports that are a mix of: true reports, fake leaks by teams/agents to benefit their negotiation stance or completely made-up stuff just to keep all us engaged and entertained. Tough to know which one is which

2. DeeZee

DeeZee - Rookie -

3. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

Lakers

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  4. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

we could do a lot worse than Donte with the MLE, but resigning Schroder should be the priority

CarolinaLakerFan likes this.
  5. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

No.

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Good listen on the market for our guys and what FAs make sense at our price point.

I really think we're getting to a point where we're paying for DLO the tradeable asset vs. DLO the player. We really have him over a barrel right now. I don't want to squeeze him too much where he feels insulted and walks, but I think where the market is after the draft and some of these trades, I think he's down to a $15m player.

They highlight three teams that could be in play for our guards -- SA, Indy, and Houston. DLO isn't a Pop fit. He could be a 2 guard for Indy but they have some (lesser) depth at the position and I think they go for a big wing with their money. Then Houston is only in play if FVV doesn't wind up there. His options above to full MLE aren't there today. To not insult him and to have more trade optionality, I think we need to offer up $18.5m (want to be able to potentially trade for a $20m player in the new CBA and the 125% drops to 110%).

7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Was watching a LakersNation video that brought up a point I had forgotten which is making me reconsider this stance: we can split the MLE

So while initially I was thinking cutting Bamba to free up the full MLE would only make sense if there was a quality center out there on the market actually worthy of the full MLE, maybe that’s not the case.

Not sure how realistic this would be, but for example if cutting Bamba/Beasley gives you the cap flexibility to split the MLE between Schröder and Plumlee (maybe leave enough left over to give Lewis a 3 year contract to avoid potential FA challenges down the line that come with giving a rookie a 2 year deal). And then assuming you’re not too close to the hard cap, that may also allow us to use the BAE, maybe for someone like Yuta. Point being by getting rid of those guys, we could potentially get access to ~$17 in exceptions that we could split amongst multiple players.

I would probably prefer that to a scenario where we keep Bamba/Beasley, but only have access to the TPMLE and are still priced out of retaining Schröder.

But I stand by, any scenario where we dump Beasley and/or Bamba but STILL only use the TPMLE, would be malpractice IMO

pika1708 likes this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

To the surprise of no one

Really curious to see the amount and the year structure. Whatever it is, he's not worth it.

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

interesting that he's reporting full max money. i was thinking he'd go down on salary for more guaranteed years. he'd prefer a shorter, larger deal? with his injury/otherstuff history?

edit: i misunderstood. he DOES want the years, and the full max amount is of less importance. that makes more sense to me. he wants the largest guarantee he can get. a dallas guy was hinting 4/160, which makes sense to me. i wouldn't want to pay it, but dallas is in a tough spot and needs to retain him. think that amount might let them avoid the apron/use MLE/take S&Ts, etc.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  10. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

This situation continues to be a broken record that most of us never want to hear again. The Portland brass has proven over and over again that they are incapable of properly building around Dame. Lillard doesn’t want to “tarnish his image” by publicly asking for a trade. We all can’t wait to revisit this during the trade deadline.

11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Another good one.

Discussed the market for Rui -- Det, Indy, Sac, OKC. Luckily he's not a top choice for any of them. Barnes and Kuz should eliminate 2 of those teams. Cam Johnson could remove a 3rd team.

Market $ 13m-16m.

Targets for us: Yuta, Diop, and Crowder (please f***ing no!)

12. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

13. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

zero chance crowder comes to the lakers while lebron is still here. there's true, genuine hatred between those two

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Also in this one...

On Mo and Beas

15. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

We all know him signing with Dallas has nothing to do with him not liking HIS preferred options. At this point I’m his career, no other GMs in their right mind want to gamble on him.

16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Latest from Jake

On potential help for Dame

Rockets, Hawks, Clippers dangling a few players. Plus a quiet market for Simons
    Heat could target Wood
    Strus generating a lot of interest
    Vincent more likely to be back in Miami
    Vincent's price is $10m a year. Toronto could be a destination if he doesn't stay in MIA
    Heat prepped to waive Lowry if they can't move him
    Bulls PG options
    Bulls shopping LaVine and want a much better return than the one Wiz fetched for Beal

17. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

This already been posted ?

18. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Could totally see us bringing in Lowry on a minimum if he's waived. I think he's about done but not much harm as a 5th guard. I don't JHS sees significant minutes this year.

pika1708, Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

curious to see what miami's up to. a week ago they were chumming waters with lowry being awesome and such, and now they'll cut him. strus and vincent could end up much pricier than they've been, and lillard may not ever move.

btw, am i alone in liking houston trying to get fvv on a 2-year max? i think that's a smart move, actually. they don't own their picks and thus can't suck. but they won't want to tie themselves up long-term. so give huge cash to some vets who can be adults in the room the next couple of years. they should throw the other 20 at brolo, lol. that will sow some chaos.

20. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

Sign him to a 2-years / 50 million, which gives flexibility. Follow up with trading Beasley + 2nd round pick to Milwaukee for Portus, who also has two year guaranteed. Rotation looks solid:

PG: Reaves / JHS
    SG: Russell / Lewis
    SF: Christie / Vanderbilt
    PF: James / Hachimura
    C: Davis / Portis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.