2023-24 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

:Laugh:

2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Nurkic is Klutch..fills a need at 5. Rui for Jusuf straight up?

Miles Bridges too..but he's unrestricted this summer.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't think phx makes that move, but what if dlo was willing and we moved him and wood for nurkic?

phx gets a pg (they need one), and they can just commit to outscoring everyone (which i think is really their only play with their personnel).

i can't see jeanie getting on board with bridges, even with his klutch ties. but he's most definitely a high-end talent that will probably be quite cheap. and we have a good rep for rehabbing guys lately, i think.

4. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

I'd like to target Dejounte Murray again - or just a downhill point guard that can put pressure on the rim.

Doesn't even to have to be Murray - maybe somebody that would require less assets?

5. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

6. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

7. KuzmoBall17

:LLLLLebronlaughing:

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I'm sure D'Angelo would like to play with his buddy Booker. I have other ideas for him though. Rob pulls off a shock move nobody saw coming. D'Angelo for Myles Turner. We get 2 legit 5's with different skill sets, keep Austin and Jarred, keep 2 of our draft picks, and didn't add much salary to boot.

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

To play where? He's the last thing the Pacers need.

Haliburton, Mathurin, Nembhard, and McConnell. They've been pretty high on Sheppard too, who they don't have minutes for.

If you've seen their games, they need defense. You want to trade away their best defensive player for a guard allergic to that side of the ball, while taking the ball out of Haliburton's hands in the process.
    :KobeConfused:

I really wanted him to be a Laker too, but that ship has sailed and ain't coming back.

Barnstable, Bryant, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Logic .... We talkin' bout Logic?!

11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

The Pacers are bad on defense anyway.
    Turner is on an expiring deal, and they still have to pay Siakam. I'm not sure that paying Turner, is going to make them anymore of a contender. Russell can be flipped or kept.

And for all of D'Angelo's faults, I think he and Haliburton would be an explosive backcourt duo.

12. KuzmoBall17

Screenshot_2024-05-08-10-56-23 (1).png
    :ADORLY2:
    So defense is back after GSW eliminated as contender,but how about 3>2

FrontOfJersey22, Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

why stop there? why not trade rui for derrick white while we're at it?

edit: btw, the pacers don't have salary issues. they have 105 committed next year before signing toppin and siakam. i'm guessing they'll sign for a combined 60 million or so, which would have them just under the luxury tax while returning all of their top players.

luka's knee held dallas under 100. but yes, it turns out playing defense works! still! and people also forgot those GSW teams were top defenses as well.

Last edited: May 8, 2024
    Cookie and JSM like this.
  14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

It's still small market Indiana...and they still have Turner on an expiring deal,which is going to put them over the luxury tax in the following year. For a team that isn't going to be a legit contender.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not every team operates on the ricky bobby philosophy.

indy only has 70 committed for the following year. if they re-sign siakam and toppin at 60 like i think they will, that's 130 with haliburton/siakam/nesmith/mathurin/sheppard/walker all under contract, too. they can easily afford to keep turner at a competitive salary. nobody's going over 30 per for him in FA.

52years and Wino like this.
  16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

You know what makes small market teams more willing to spend? Playoff revenue. Pacers will have two round of playoff revenue this year, they haven't had that since 19-20.

Being that caliber team also affects endorsements, ad buys and national awareness. They only had one nationally televised game in the regular season (excluding play in or anything they might have flexed onto the schedule as the season unfolded), I'm sure they're hoping to up their regular season exposure as well. That requires either playoff exposure or landing house hold name via FA or trade (and that's not happening).

17. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Yeah, as much as I'd like Turner to be available none of the reasons why they wanted to trade him the last few years remain true. Sabonis is no longer there, so Turner can be the 5 full-time where he belongs. The Pacers are now pretty good and could easily be a 50 win team next year with Mathurin back and Haliburton healthy, so you're no longer talking about extending a good not great player on a directionless team. Turner has continued to improve offensively and isn't just a spot-up, stretch-5 anymore. He's a great fit next to Haliburton on both ends of the court and Haliburton has established himself as the franchise player. Committing future money to Turner just makes more sense now than it did 2,3,4 years ago.

Side note, PG really should find a way to go back to Indy. Absolutely perfect fit for him and Haliburton/Mathurin/PG/Siakam/Turner would be pretty nasty. No idea if its remotely possible cap wise.

JSM, FrontOfJersey22 and abeer3 like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

right. it's not like if you're not one of the four best teams in the league that the smart play is to just fold. that's insane and would make for an unwatchable sport.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't think it's possible while retaining siakam. the cap is going to be around 142 or so, and they have 105 committed. they'd need near 80 million in space, so they'd have to clear 45 million off the books to make that work, i think. now, they could probably sign and trade for him if they really wanted to.

i'm very curious to see who, if anyone, throws a max or near max at PG in free agency. that's going to be wild. who calls harden, too?

sk2408 and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I think she would rather take on the arduous task of converting Dwight than sign the woman abuser Bridges.

abeer3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.