2023-24 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Tyus is bad defensively.

Comparing the two's level of talent, best way to summarize it: Jones is a subpar starter but an elite backup. In Memphis, he was considered one of the best backups in the league. Mays has played for 4 D-League teams and in the Mexican league in that time span while getting two way deals or end of season looks for teams that are in a bind or rebuilding.

I like Mays, I think he's solid. I think he's a damn good 3rd string player who can run the second unit if you need him to. I'd actually be interested in giving him a 13th spot on next year's roster.

I don't want to give them a first for Jones. If it's a pick that converts or is the equivalent value in terms of prospects, I'm willing to pay that for him.

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

I know the momentum to the Dejaunte Murray trade has died down but I still like the trade for the Lakers mainly because Murray is cost controlled and on a decent contract in today’s CBA. The way of the big 3 teams are dead and I like the idea of Murray+Reaves contract equaling less than 1 max contract while we build with AD and another player post Lebron we try to sign down the road.

we could also package Murray/Reaves+picks a year or two from now when Luka (insert any star who demands a trade) demands out

If we keep DLo, I don’t think we sing that tune 2 years from now and a DLo/Reaves package does not have the same appeal to other teams.

Having said all that, if we can get Tyus Jones for Gabe and 2nds…. Do it and don’t hesitate. Tyus would be a great bench mob type floor general, while being a capable starter if we lose a guard to injury. We should get him even if we got Murray.

Kenzo, Cookie, Panko and 6 others like this.
  3. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I still think we need to do the Murray deal.
    I’m down with Tyus, but definitely not for a first.
    I’m not interested in Trae- I don’t believe he can be the first or second best player on a Championship Team.
    I bet Rob makes a couple of small moves now and we revisit the Murray option this summer.

Cookie, Panko, pika1708 and 2 others like this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Rob brought him in on a 2 way after deleting one of the other guys off of it. Same as Dylan Windler the small forward. They are eligible to play in every single regular season game we have left just like Castleton with so few of 50 games allowed ... used yet. You see them on the bench every game. Mays has only been sent to G-League on days the varsity is in town and not playing a game, probably so his timing and skills don't rot from Ham's decision not to use him or Colin or Dylan.

Cookie and Panko like this.
  5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Idk man...Nobody really plays two way guys, over guys already on the roster, at their positions LT. Who does that? Two way guys are projects, occasionally they get converted to the regular roster. The GM is making the call on who gets the roster spot, Mays could possibly, get a roster spot if Russell is traded.

This is just another weird Ham gripe IMO.
    If we are seriously down to looking at a two way player, to be playing meaningful minutes, we've already punted on the season. Buyout players are valued over two way players bro.

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I get that. My point is if Jones gets brought in and he’s small like Schroder but sucks on D unlike him there’s a good chance he won’t get used much either, that’s all.

7. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Amick has a couple Laker sourced items in this, but really wanted to share it cause it has the Hawks side of it and we haven't gotten much on that...

9. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Hawks have been basically stuck in the sunk cost fallacy since they made the Young for Doncic trade.
    They need to tank as Young is good but nowhere near a true superstar/MVP level guy like well Doncic but they keep building a team around him like he is.

Kenzo, Cookie, VincePT and 5 others like this.
  10. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

This will revisited during the summer. The Lakers (if no moves are made) can make a run (evidenced by last year), but I just don't think they have the horses to win a chip.

Atlanta isn't doing sh** this season. They're done and stuck right in the middle. They'll possibly have to take back more salary as Dejounte new deal kicks in this summer. That's on them.

Given that scenario (both teams eliminated), they'll revisit this during the summer and we'll have more flexibility and will have Vanderbilt's contract to utilize, too.

Don't think LBJ is going anywhere. Mins you, this guy went nuts in the IST to win $500K, you think he's giving up $50 plus million this summer? Don't think so.

See you in June/July Atlanta.

Cookie and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think we will throw every non-reaves asset on the table for murray, and this will please lebron (and me). atlanta will (probably wisely) reject, and we'll move to a smaller deal that doesn't cost any assets beyond seconds and maybe jhs (guessing gabe is the outgoing party).

really glad lavine got hurt, as i think lebron would have pushed hard for that stupid move and we'd be westbrooked again.

12. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Would have been hard capped if they went after Lavine unless they traded half their team. Lavine was never an option.

Cookie, Slick2021 and abeer3 like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

not that i care at this point, but rui/russell/gabe covers the salary almost exactly. our commitments have us hardcapped this summer anyway unless dlo opts out and we let him walk.

i think it was a bullet dodged.

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Lockdown defender Beas isn't doing the trick?

That would be a big get for them as long as they don't think they'll lose any Portis vibes.

15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lol..Portis is probably already questioning Doc's " game strategy " too.

Cookie, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Bucks have interest in DFS, but Nets continue to stand their ground on their asking price.
    Drummond the most likely Bull on the move, DD likely staying in Chi Town

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse

More on Bucks and DFS

Teams are trying to get first round picks from NO and OKC in order to sweeten their trade packages
    6ers interested in the one who got away from us...according to Rob
    Lonnie has caught the eye of the Leprechaun

17. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I don’t get the fascination with DFS, I’ll take Prince over him any day, which what will probably happen anyway because Ham won’t change his stance on his prince

18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

19. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    wtf hopefully these rumors are false

20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

It's slow on the trade front news. These guys just start throwing out all kinds of stuff when that happens. I'm guessing that it's a hypothetical Rui trade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.