2023-24 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

We need a move..standing pat isn't going to get us anywhere IMO. IF D'Angelo flames out in the playoffs again, and opts out in the summer, we are going to look like total idiots. It's not a lock that a big time player will be available this summer either.

Like who?

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I really hope not. I hope this goes the way our fear of Dray went.

Personally I don't see them letting him go because their next international household name might be decades away. He's the biggest name they've had since Nique. For a team who struggles to stay relevant, that's significant.

If we get Trae forced upon us, we need to retain enough draft assets to trade for a elite defender at SF/SG. Based on what OG just went for, that seems unlikely.

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I liked your take on DLO and the first time you stated it, but don’t understand the dummy reference considering his maturity now, genuine team spirit and being a very thoughtful and articulate player?

Panko and abeer3 like this.
  4. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

blazers keeping brogdon makes no sense with all the young talent they have at the guard position. why not get something in return for him instead of shutting him down in a few weeks?

5. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I think this is insane for these teams - if these dudes get hurt you've lost an incredible opportunity to further tank and get real assets.
    Do teams think the draft is going to suck this year but next year as well - it really seems like scouts are telling the FO's that draft capital just isn't valuable right now

Panko, Cookie, ElginTheGreat and 2 others like this.
  6. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Maybe it's all just posturing to get better offers.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  7. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I think part of it is also that a lot of the teams that want to win are tapped out of assets. Look at us for example; we have one FRP to trade now, but will have three in a few months. They can trade these guys now, or extend them on reasonable numbers in the offseason and trade them later when more draft capital opens up.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    Panko and Pioneer10 like this.
  8. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I’m pretty aligned with the FO on this: it’s Murray or bust for me in terms of trading Dlo. Not sure what DFS would cost but I wouldn’t give up a pick nor Rui. I’d do the Gabe and seconds to get Tyus Jones. That would actually be my priority trade at the deadline if we could. If we get outbid so be it, then try to get a backup PG or wing off the waiver wire.

Panko, Barnstable, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  9. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

So which one is correct?

Washington asking for two first-round picks for Kyle Kuzma

The Wizards' price for Kyle Kuzma has been revealed.

“League sources say Washington is pushing for two first-round picks for Kuzma, although team sources say that's a bit of an exaggeration. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle,” reports The Athletic.

Kuzma is averaging 22 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.3 assists on 45.7% from the field and 33.7% from beyond the arc in the 2023-24 season.

Source: The Athletic
    As I said thousand times none of so called insiders know anything

10. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

If Lebron opted out, what are we going to do? It's not like we will have 50 million in free cap space or something. Without Lebron what do we have to trade for another superstar? 3 FRP? OK.where is the salary matching coming from? If we somehow managed to scrape up the salary, what do we have left of any value?

I imagine that folks would assume that James would be involved in a S&T, but what if he just walked to Philadelphia or something? They will have almost 50 M in cap space, keeping Embiid and Maxey.

I'm just curious as how we could survive James leaving, pissed off, and not inclined to do us any favors in a S&T.

11. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I’ll honestly be very surprised if LeBron doesn’t retire a Laker.

Panko, Barnstable, 432J and 6 others like this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

That said, I did expect some of the posturing by these teams to have gone away at this point. Might end up being a quiet trade deadline if some of these front offices don’t come back down to earth. I have a hard time believing these teams are really going to hold out for two firsts for some of these names.

I still expect us to make a smaller move and / or be active on the buyout market. DLO may very well have played his way out of a trade.

13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Oh..I do too, but he's already a billionaire. I'm not sure if Lebron thinks like most people, or even other NBA players.

These are the things that Rob has to think about.

sirronstuff and ElginTheGreat like this.
  14. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Knowing Pelinka I totally expect something unexpected like Rui for Buddy Hield or Marcus Smart lol

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i could see jeanie seeing trae as a bankable star going forward. he definitely wouldn't be cowed by the la experience, either. and his being a klutch client makes him one of the more likely short-term possibilities.

i agree that atlanta probably keeps him for the reasons you state, but i also think that's the wrong thing. they'd be better at basketball if they moved off of young instead of murray. i totally see why they're considering hanging onto murray (our offer isn't good imo, and supposedly others have been worse). but on the heels of how collins played out, i just don't see them as a super competent front office. they'll end up moving murray for less later, which is why i think they should just bite the bullet and move trae before he asks out.

sorry, should have said "comes off as a dummy". i don't think he is. he was immature in his first stint here, but he's not anymore. he approached contract negotiations last summer with open eyes and got a solid deal for himself given the circumstances. he could have gotten mad that the lakers didn't meet the number he wanted, but he didn't. this is why i don't think that even if he opted out that we'd necessarily be in trouble. he'd still see that we had his bird rights and could do the most for him.

on the other hand, if he sucks as slick thinks he will and opts in, he's a decent-sized expiring contract next year. no problem. apparently that would be worth more than a guy averaging 17/6/3 on 47/41/80 from the floor and a net positive in advanced metrics! great news! maybe we can trade him for one next year and get a first rounder for our troubles!

if he walks, we're screwed. just like we will be when he retires. i'm not going to westbrook myself to put it off for a year.

16. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

If it brought me a chip...I'm all in.

17. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Hollinger's latest take on the Athletic..Long read

When it comes to the NBA trade deadline, there are two kinds of players: The guys who could move, and the guys who must move. Leading up to the deadline (at 3 p.m. Eastern Thursday), a lot of our attention is on the former category, and with good reason: It contains most of the biggest names.

Nonetheless, most of the deals actually completed revolve around the second group. For a variety of reasons, teams end up in situations where the only logical choice is to trade a player before the season ends, either because of his contract, their own cap situation or some other roster-related pickle in which the team finds itself.

ADVERTISEMENT

So while the league figures out its other mysteries before Thursday — such as whether players like Jordan Clarkson or Kyle Kuzma are truly in play for non-extravagant draft capital or what the Atlanta Hawks’ endgame is with their assorted trade talks or what, exactly, the Chicago Bulls are trying to do these days — let me bring up some other, mostly non-sexy names who would seem extremely likely to play a role at the deadline.

Here’s my All-Deadline Team, the guys I think are most likely to end up at the airport Friday morning:

Group I: Expiring contracts
    Here’s the thing with expiring contracts: A team’s hand is forced. If a team is headed for the draft lottery and has a player they know won’t be back, they have to get something in return for him, even if it’s not everything they hoped. That makes it very different from a situation like, say, Atlanta’s with Dejounte Murray or Washington’s with Kuzma, where the team has a player signed for several more years and thus can walk away from any deal they don’t love.

Tyus Jones, Washington: The most prominent expiring contract situation seems to be Jones’, who is highly desired in the short term by teams needing a backup point guard but also is coveting a starting gig on a good team next season. His $14 million deal is within salary-matching range for most teams, so the realistic question is how much draft equity the Wizards can squeeze out of teams coveting his services. The “four to five second-round picks” market set a year ago for players like Gary Payton II and Jae Crowder is likely a good omen on this front for the Wiz, but again: At some point on Thursday, they just need to take the best deal on the table.

While we’re here, the discount version of “former Grizzlies backup point guards whom Washington might trade” is Delon Wright, a steady vet on an expiring $8.2 million who likely would return a second-round pick to the Wizards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Brown, Toronto: Brown isn’t a true expiring contract because a pathway exists for him to return to the Raptors; they could decline his $23 million team option for next season and then re-sign at a lower number for more years as a non-Bird free agent. However, that option seems less palatable given that the Raptors are better set up to operate as a cap room team this summer, taking advantage of an artificially low cap hold for Immanuel Quickley in the final year before Scottie Barnes gets a huge raise.

If that’s the case, the Raptors should cash in on their Brown stock now and should have plentiful suitors given how big a role he played in Denver’s championship run last spring. While we’re here, Toronto also has a large expiring deal in Gary Trent Jr. ($18.6 million) that could tempt teams in need of shooting help.

go-deeper
    GO DEEPER

Toronto Raptors should be dealing liberally at trade deadline: Koreen

Naji Marshall, New Orleans: Shoutout to my podcast partner Nate Duncan for calling this one out. Nobody is talking about him much, but Marshall would be a great pickup for a tax team that needs another piece at the forward spot.

He’s currently on a minimum deal and comes with full Bird rights, meaning that he could fit into the salary structure in a place like Boston or the LA Clippers, then be re-signed in free agency despite the handcuffs that normally face teams above the second tax apron. In New Orleans, Marshall is on the fringes of a deep rotation, and his impact on their luxury tax position makes it seem unlikely that he’d be back after this season. It seems like he’d be worth multiple seconds to a tax team.

It seems unlikely, given his deal, that Naji Marshall will be back in New Orleans next season. (Troy Taormina / USA Today)
    Kelly Olynyk, Utah: The Jazz are in an odd position, contending for the postseason with a decent team now but still nowhere close to the desired endpoint of their post-Rudy Gobert/Donovan Mitchell rebuilding operation. Olynyk is playing well, but he’s 32, blocking their lottery pick from playing and has an expiring contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of contenders look at Olynyk as a valuable piece, and one they could re-sign after this season with Bird rights. If the Jazz could get two decent seconds for him, they probably should take the money and run, as it’s hard to see where he fits in the longer-term plan. Utah did a similar thing a year ago with Mike Conley, remember, so it’s not like this would be out of character.

While we’re on the Jazz, one other sneaky name to watch is Simone Fontecchio. The 28-year-old Italian is a restricted free agent after the season; he has quietly been one of the most improved defensive players in the league while also knocking down 39.4 percent from 3. His cap-friendly $3 million deal could make him a serious option for financially handcuffed teams like the Clippers or Nuggets, especially since he can be re-signed with early Bird rights.

Monté Morris, Detroit: As with Wright and Jones above, Morris is likely to be a target for teams that need a solid backup point guard and can dangle a second-round pick or two; a return to his former haunt in Denver, for instance, would shock nobody.

The catch here is, for an awful team deep in rebuilding mode, the Pistons have been bizarrely reluctant to part with veteran players. Detroit has too many bodies in the backcourt already, however, and so surely it would be willing to part with Morris and Alec Burks (also expiring) at this point … right?

go-deeper
    GO DEEPER

Pistons trade deadline intel: Could it be a quiet week for Detroit?

Royce O’Neale, Brooklyn: The Nets are in an odd position of being more bad than good but also not in a position to tank given the draft capital they owe to Houston from the James Harden trade. You hear the name Dorian Finney-Smith mentioned a lot with Nets deals, but he has a year left on his deal after this one, so Brooklyn can easily walk away from a trade that doesn’t overpay. However, O’Neale’s contract is up after this season; he’s a 3-and-D guy on a reasonable $9.5 million salary, making it easy to move him in a deal that brings back second-round picks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Dinwiddie also is on an expiring deal, but the size of it ($20.3 million) could make it difficult to complete a trade. He’s also been on a bizarre jag of unaggressiveness, one that at times borders on nonviolent protest, with just a 15 percent usage rate since Jan. 1 and averaging just nine points per game since then. For a guy who already had a bit of a reputation, this isn’t going to help his trade value.

Gordon Hayward, Charlotte: It warrants mentioning that Charlotte has two huge expiring contracts with veterans Hayward ($31.5 million) and Kyle Lowry ($29.7 million) that could theoretically be the keys to a big deal if the Hornets want to go swinging. Don’t bet on it, though, especially with Charlotte still down a future first from the disastrous Kai Jones trade.

As far as other teams trading assets to acquire Hayward or Lowry, their value isn’t what it once was. Hayward is marginally more attractive than Lowry, but neither is going to get attention at their salary unless a toxic contract goes back to Charlotte. As a result, those seem headed toward a late-February buyout.

Also, the hot rumor in league circles is that the Hornets’ new ownership will make a change in the front office after the trade deadline, so that’s worth keeping an eye on as well.

Group II: Matching salaries
    D’Angelo Russell, Lakers: Russell has played great the last few weeks, as the Lakers finally remembered that putting shooting around LeBron James and Anthony Davis was what keyed their conference finals run a year ago.

That said, it seems any trade to upgrade the roster almost requires his involvement; the deals of, say, Rui Hachimura or Gabe Vincent just run too long to make trade partners comfortable. The crux of the issue is that extending Jarred Vanderbilt and re-signing Russell to a two-year deal with a player option essentially left the Lakers with too little expiring salary for any significant trade; Russell’s deal — he can opt out of $18.7 million for next season — is the next closest thing. As a result, any hoped-for trade — such as the oft-discussed one with Atlanta for Murray — basically depends on Russell’s contract as a big chunk of the salary match.

ADVERTISEMENT

(For what it’s worth: I do think a swap of Russell, Jalen Hood-Schifino and equity such as a pick swap in 2028 and the Lakers’ unprotected 2029 first, will end up being the best thing on the table for Atlanta in terms of Murray offers. Is that good enough to take the deal? I’d probably do it if I were them, but it’s close.)

go-deeper
    GO DEEPER

As Lakers wrap road trip, attention turns toward the future

Pat Connaughton, Milwaukee: Similar to Russell above, the Bucks are in a situation where there is no realistic trade outcome that doesn’t involve Connaughton’s $9.4 million salary being part of the salary match in some capacity. (Bigger fish, I would note, likely also require Bobby Portis’ inclusion.) The Bucks don’t have a ton of draft equity left, but they can “swap the swap” on firsts they already have traded swaps for in 2026, 2028 and 2030; they also have a 2024 Portland second-rounder that projects to be the 35th pick.

The emergence of second-round pick Andre Jackson and the addition of free-agent sharpshooter Malik Beasley have both cut into Connaughton’s run, while the two years and $19 million left on his deal after this year impact Milwaukee’s sobering tax bill in future seasons.

I didn’t put the Bucks in with the salary dumpers below, but if they want to cut their tax bill, they might also try something small with A.J. Green or Cameron Payne.

Pat Connaughton has seen a dip in playing time this season. (Rick Osentoski / USA Today
    Richaun Holmes, Dallas: Similar to Connaughton and Russell, the Mavs are in a situation where they don’t really have expiring salary for a trade. What they do have is Holmes at the end of the bench making $12 million next year, along with an unprotected 2027 first-round pick to dangle. Could combining that with another salary (such as perhaps that of Grant Williams, who hasn’t fit as well as hoped for thus far) help the Mavs pry away an elite forward to cement the roster around Luka Dončić, Kyrie Irving and impressive rookie Dereck Lively II? Those are the calls Dallas will be making, and any decent-sized move would surely seem to require Holmes’ involvement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Markelle Fultz, Orlando: If Orlando is going to do anything at the trade deadline, Fultz’s expiring $17 million deal would seem to factor in prominently. While the Magic have other expiring salaries to put into a trade, Fultz is the one player whose future fit is most questionable on an Orlando roster that is both starved of shooting and overcrowded with guards. The Magic’s target list likely includes literally anyone who can shoot, especially at shooting guard and small forward, and it likely takes on more urgency with this year’s squad ahead of schedule and pushing for a playoff spot.

My favorite fake trade for the Magic would have them flip Fultz to Atlanta for Russell as the third team in a Hawks-Lakers trade involving Murray. That wouldn’t require draft picks, but the Magic are also sitting on a copious supply of future seconds and have all their own firsts (plus one in 2025 from Denver) to put in a deal.

Group III: Tax situations
    These aren’t the deals that get fans’ hearts racing, but we get them every year, and we’ll definitely get more in this round. For teams in the luxury tax, sending out some cash or a late second-round pick for the opportunity to dump a contract that could cost several million in tax penalties is simply too promising a proposition to pass up. We’ve already seen one trade like this, when the Pelicans dropped Kira Lewis Jr. into the Pascal Siakam deal to get themselves out of the luxury tax, and could see several more by Thursday afternoon.

Luke Kennard, Memphis: The Grizzlies already made one move to manage an impending 2024-25 luxury-tax cliff by trading Steven Adams for Victor Oladipo’s expiring deal. If they can’t trade Oladipo by Thursday, expect Memphis to waive him and sign two-way GG Jackson to an inexpensive roster deal.

The next key situation is Kennard’s. He has a $14.7 million team option for next season; picking it up and adding a high lottery pick would put the Grizzlies roughly $10 million over next year’s projected tax line; while owner Robert Pera’s wallet can handle the check, it would leave Memphis above the first apron and thus would prevent the Grizzlies from adding a big man with their nontaxpayer midlevel exception. However, if the Grizzlies plan to decline it, Memphis might be better off seeing what Kennard can get right now on the trade market. (I’ll note, however, that one option that remains is for Memphis to decline the option and re-sign him at a lower number with Bird rights.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Martin, Miami: Similar to Kennard above, Martin’s situation is more about next season than this season. While the Heat are currently $8.3 million over the tax line, trades that get them all the way below the line seem too painful to contemplate. (While we’re there, though, don’t be shocked if they do a smaller deal to lower the tax hit; sending out the injured Dru Smith and the little-used Orlando Robinson and signing buyout guys in their place would both improve the team and help the bottom line.)

However, Martin can opt out of his bargain deal for $7.1 million after the season, and the Heat are set to be a tax team next season before paying him a single cent. Meanwhile, Jaime Jaquez Jr. seems more than ready to inherit Martin’s role in the starting lineup. If so, might the Heat be better off cashing in their Martin stock now, either for a cost-controlled player for next season or to replenish their limited draft equity?

Caleb Martin’s situation is more about next season than this season for the Heat. (Sam Navarro / USA Today)
    Andrew Wiggins, Golden State: The Warriors are in a transition year, but the recent play of Jonathan Kuminga and Brandin Podziemski shows this isn’t a teardown. Financially and team-building wise, however, the Warriors would be in a much stronger position if they can excise Wiggins’ three years and $85 million from the future books.

That’s unlikely to come in the form of a pure salary dump, to be clear, so any trade likely won’t help much with the massive tax bill the team will pay this year. However, by removing or lightening the cap hit from Wiggins next year and waiving Chris Paul’s $30 million deal, the Warriors will have room below the tax apron to add pieces to the roster with exception money. They could even stay below the tax entirely in 2024-25, which would help slow down the clock on repeater penalties in future years.

While we’re here, the Warriors would also save several million in tax penalties by trading Cory Joseph’s minimum contract and signing two-way Lester Quinones to a roster spot for the minimum.

go-deeper
    GO DEEPER

Draymond Green is trying to save a Warriors season he would be blamed for ruining

Boston’s bench guys: Dalano Banton, Svi Mykhailiuk and Lamar Stevens are on minimum deals and never play. The C Bags will owe a combined $15 million in tax penalties on those three contracts, a number that could be sliced by roughly two-thirds by trading each and signing buyout guys or promoting two-ways in their place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bones Hyland, Clippers: Hyland has a year left after this one at $4.2 million, so the Clippers would likely only get business done if another team had genuine interest in him. Fortunately, the executive who drafted him, Tim Connelly, now runs the Timberwolves. Minnesota needs point guard help, has a trade exception large enough to take in Hyland and would end up a cool $56,188 below the tax line after such a deal. That means the Clips could trade Hyland’s $2.3 million for this season without taking back a contract, something that would save them $10 million in tax penalties this year and potentially even more next season.

In the absence of a Hyland deal (or even with one), the Clips could also save money by dropping off the injured Brandon Boston on another roster and promoting two-way Jordan Miller to a roster contract for the rookie minimum. P.J. Tucker, meanwhile, has an $11.5 million player option for next season that is messing with the Clippers’ books, but it’s not clear if they can find a workable deal with him before Thursday.

Christian Wood, Lakers: The Lakers are just $1.33 million above the tax line right now; surely they will be below it in 72 hours. The oft-mooted trade of Russell and Hood-Schifino for Murray (along with draft capital that doesn’t impact the cap) would get L.A. below the threshold, so that’s likely Plan A.

However, if L.A. doesn’t do a larger deal, don’t be surprised if the Lakers surrender a second-round pick to land Wood on another roster. His $3 million player option for next season will likely make this more expensive than a typical deal with a minimum expiring contact — it will likely require a real second and not just cash. But in L.A.’s case, the financial calculus of accessing the roughly $9 million tax distribution to below-tax teams is going to make it a worthwhile transaction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Furkan Korkmaz, Philadelphia: The Sixers are $4.3 million above the luxury tax line and just lost Joel Embiid for an extended period; while they still want to max out the playoff version of this team, their situation is similar to L.A.’s in that the financial return on a relatively small money deal seems overwhelming.

For instance, trading Danuel House’s $4.31 million deal would get the Sixers a mere $24,060 below the tax line, leaving just enough change in the sofa to sign a 15th roster player for the playoffs on the last day of the season. If they want a bit more breathing room, dealing Korkmaz’s $5.3 million deal could also make sense. Because these players make real money, any transaction would likely cost the Sixers a second-round pick, and their list of partners is limited to those with a mid-sized trade exception.

(Top photos of Tyus Jones, Bruce Brown and D’Angelo Russell: Tommy Gilligan, Jayne Kamin Oncea, Dan Hamilton / USA Today)

ElginTheGreat and TIME like this.
  18. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, didn't see us moving Wood to get under the cap. That would leave us rail thin at backup Center with only Hayes. Don't think I would go that route.

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

How's Tyus Jones all around game both sides of the ball compared to Mays whom Numbnuts won't use anyway unless one of the remaining guards also dies? He's another midget at 6'1" 196lbs basically the same age. Vs Mays at 6'4" 205lbs. Specifically his PG abilities, athleticism and defense against other speedy PGs?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jonesty01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mayssk01.html

Is the difference worth losing assets over? (I realize Mays is only on a 2 way and would have to be added to be eligible)

lakerjones likes this.
  20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Is Mays on the regular roster? Again that's Rob making that particular decision, I'm confused as to why you keep putting that on Ham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.