2023-24 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

can't we also send Christian Wood their way?

he's not doing much for us, but at vet min, he's good value for a team that wants to bet on him and maybe resign him long term.

FrontOfJersey22 and lakerjones like this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, i'd have to review the new trade rules vis a vis the apron. at some point, the margin of error on matching goes to basically nothing.

since reaves is off limits (imo) and vando can't be moved at all, our options are pretty slim bringing in a contract of that size. this is all fine by me, btw.

and as much as i love caruso, i'm not comfortable if he's my only pg. he can't play big minutes over long periods of time, nor is he really a pg on offense in the truest sense. add in that we'd likely be giving up a future first (and thus hurting future trade flexibility) and i'm just not seeing a clear path.

3. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

For me Caruso slots at starting PG along with Lavine. Slot in Cam at starting 3 to go with them and AD and Lebron. Or go with Vando or Prince depending on matchups. Bench would be Reaves at backup PG as he has been doing, Christie, Prince, Vando and Hayes or Wood. That’s a helluva squad. Plenty of size still, less redundancies, great D potential.

VincePT, NickthaQuick and karacha like this.
  4. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I could probably get behind that deal. Think it's worth it, and - as lakerjones said - we deal with the redundancies this way.

lakerjones likes this.
  5. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

:LLLLLebronlaughing:
    Anthony Edwards: Michael Jordan Couldn't Defend Against Me

Minnesota shooting guard Anthony Edwards was asked if the legendary Michael Jordan could defend against him.

"Hell no! No!

What were the deficiencies in Michael Jordan's defense? I don't care. I just don’t think he could defend himself against me,” Edwards said.

Barnstable, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  6. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

lavine contract is terrible and he's hurt this year let alone his injury history. This could be an absolute anchor of a contract.
    You lose a lot of flexibility as if you hit the aprons you have trade and mid level restrictions. His contract if it doesn't put the Lakers there will make it more likely they will hit it

I only do the Lavine trade if you get Caruso AND draft compensation or Coby White from Chicago. A team getting Chicago out of that contract is doing them a huge favor as he's not an asset but dead weight

Juronimo, abeer3, Kenzo and 3 others like this.
  7. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Eagle is NOT a PG on offense. Not even a little. AC and Lavine (assuming he ever plays) backcourt is awful as it would require Bron to handle more... something he doesn't do these days due to DLO and AR.

No.

Also... little fatso is crazy with his MJ statements.

Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Or prime Kobe either he has to be thinking. These f****** guys. Watch some tape!

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  9. lakerjones

IIRC Eagle was a PG with Lebron last time around. In fact he's one of the historically best players to play alongside Lebron. His game fits extremely well. Lebron IS a point forward. Always has been. It's cool to have a more traditional PG alongside him but it's not necessary. Or if you want, put Reaves back in the starting lineup and bring AC off the bench. I love the versatility of that potential squad.

10. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I think Bron has been enjoying not having to initiate. AC fit alongside Bron as a defender. His offensive skills are a fraction of AR's for example.

AC + AR backcourt this year would be vulnerable. Next season, assuming AR works A LOT on dribbling under pressure, it might work.

AR + Max? with AC off the bench? May be...

SamsonMiodek and abeer3 like this.
  11. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

If anything, I think we should just try to swap DLO for Brogdon and call it a day. I don't want to lose Rui to upgrade a guard spot to anything less than a legit All Star. As currently constructed, we have the wing depth/diversity of skillset to be able to match up different kinds of teams. There will be a playoff series where his combination of size, strength and shooting will be a better solution to an opponent's adjustment than Vando, Prince or Cam. I really want to keep that optionality in the front court.

Brogdon isn't the defensive player he used to be and may be on borrowed time with that foot, but he's been rock solid this year and a terrible Blazers team has actually been competent when he's on the floor. He's a steadier player than DLO, which is what we need in our backcourt.

ZenMaster, JSM and Pioneer10 like this.
  12. Pioneer10

AC + AR combination would be amazing. They're strengths and weaknesses match like a puzzle piece.
    AC worked extremely well with Lebron on offense for example his offenseive and defensive rating with Lebron was absurdly good. He's a very good cutter and has improved his shooting (he's a better player then with the Lakers). Meanwhile is a better player on ball who just needs some help with getting all up the court quickly against press. AC can definitely do this

lakerjones likes this.
  13. Pioneer10

i'm not enamored with Rui.
    I would be ok with Rui/Dlo switch for Grant/Brogdon

VincePT likes this.
  14. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

same that trade would really improve us and probably make us ring favorites, but they'd probably want not one but two picks for those two.

15. lakerjones

See, I'm not enamored with Grant. I wanted him a couple years ago but at this point I don't see that he's much of an upgrade over Rui and he's got a brutal contract at a position that we have a lot of options. I feel like the last couple/few times we matched up with Portland Rui played as well if not better than Grant.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. Pioneer10

Different roles: I don't think Grant is a very good #1 or #2 or even #3
    Grant is more a natural big wing who can guard 2-4 well and also shoot
    So he actually fits in well as a 2 way SF sliding easily between AD/Lebron and Reaves

Rui in a very reduced role his weaknesses that he had with the Wizards is coming up: really poor rebounding, poor shot selection (he tried a turnaround postup against Wemby yesterday come on), poor vision. He's a scoring 4 and in the playoffs have a guy named Lebron at that spot. I just don't think he can be a 3 in a finishing lineup in the playoffs consistently.

abeer3 likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

problem is grant has had serious trouble buying into that role and is paid more than someone who plays that role. iffy, imo.

agree on rui, he has to step it up significantly for me to make him one i'd want to protect in trade. i know you disagree, but i value vando more.

18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Ouch. Just stuck on block purgatory I guess.

abeer3 likes this.
  19. lakerjones

Is Grant a better shooter or than Rui? I don't think so. Grant this year is at 44 overall 41 from three. Rui's at 49 percent and 41 from three. Career Grant is 46 and 36. Rui is 48 and 35 respectively. That's almost identical, but better for Rui overall.

abeer3 likes this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

there's a reason. i think he's just not a sharp player on either end. he's like the opposite of shawn marion in a similar frame.

grant's got a rep as a better defender, but tbh, he hasn't been that for several years now.

i think it's better look at development/reclamation options than guys making near 30 million to do these kinds of things. the mavs picked derrick jones off the scrap heap and polished him into a nice rotation-quality 3 and d wing at near vet min prices. there's others out there that just need the right situation. i mean, i guess rui was one of them, right?

Cookie and lakerjones like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.