2023-24 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

oubre's had more chances than monk did, though. monk just kinda got buried in charlotte and left after his rookie deal. oubre's bounced around and maintained the same warts. he's a great athlete who looks the part of an nba wing, but he just hasn't delivered anywhere. reddish-like, except again, even more time/opportunity.

i think barton's done, personally.

ish smith has always been a nice third pg, imo. if we had a need there, i'd pick him up.

i'm wondering if the thought process for some of these guys who probably have standing minimum offers (wood, oubre, ross) might just be that several teams have some money to burn, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to overpay on a one-year deal. if oubre or wood pans out, you might be able to use non-bird rights to keep them (like we could have with lonnie if we went that direction and the market was better for him) or you could use their salary in trade.

for example, the mavs have the full mle at their disposal and room under the tax. wood's out, but why not pay oubre half the mle for one year, team option on the second? see if he can finally figure it out.

Cookie, FrontOfJersey22 and alam1108 like this.
  2. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Truth. He was Kwame 2.0.

Cookie likes this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

TT out there reminding Bron he's still a FA.

TIME, alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  4. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

WINNER: Los Angeles Lakers
    You can quibble over the wisdom of a three-year, $51 million bet that Rui Hachimura’s playoff performance — 48.7% from 3-point range, up from 34.7% for his career — was less a fluke than a new normal. Ditto for ponying up $18 million a year to bring back D’Angelo Russell, who saw his performance and workload diminish over the course of L.A.’s playoff run. Both played roles in the Lakers’ post-trade-deadline turnaround, though, and look like solid innings-eating fits next to LeBron James and Anthony Davis. When you factor in the likelihood that Austin Reaves winds up being a steal at $54 million over four years — a deal that will account for less than 10% of the salary cap every season it runs — L.A.’s re-signings seem like net positives.

The Lakers also added Gabe Vincent, a quality complementary shooter and defender adept at playing off a primary-playmaking wing, got solid veteran combo forward Taurean Prince (38.4% from deep over the last three seasons) on the $4.5 million biannual exception and took minimum-salaried flyers on ex-lottery picks Cam Reddish and Jaxson Hayes. You wonder if they’ll need a better backup plan at the 5 than Hayes to avoid overtaxing James and Hachimura as small-ball centers during the regular season. But they should have enough wing depth — including rising sophomore Max Christie, who looked great at Summer League, and rookie Jalen Hood-Schifino — to give head coach Darvin Ham a ton of flexibility in finding the right lineups around Davis and James (who, quelle surprise!, decided against retiring after all).

The Lakers, as ever, will go as far as LeBron and AD will take them. But “surround those superstars with guys who can shoot and defend” is a recipe that has produced two conference finals appearances and one title. There are worse ideas to double down on.

6. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

drummond was a bust here and should've never been given the starting job, but let's also not forget the guy got hurt in his first game and that toe injury just lingered. he was never fully healthy as a laker. he also came to the team after sitting out for weeks anticipating a trade, so he was out of shape too

gasol wasn't that great either, but he was a better fit than drummond was

Helljumper, Kenzo, alam1108 and 3 others like this.
  7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Honestly I think Drummond was simply a non factor all around. He didn't move the needle either way. Maybe his addition kind of screwed up our relationship with Marc Gasol, but at the end of the day I think he was neither much of a plus or minus.

On to today. I would take Wood for the minimum without hesitation. That seems like a no brainer to me. I would also take Biyombo for minimum. Either of those guys would be great additions at a position of need. To me, either one is helpful for getting through the season, especially if AD goes down for any significant time. Also just to help keeping AD from going for any time! It would be great to be a little less reliant on his health to be competitive. Tall order but I think either of these two would aid in that department. Come playoffs I think Biyombo could be more helpful with his D, but during the regular season I like Wood for his scoring.

If neither one will come for the minimum I'm good with taking a flyer on Castleton as I've said before. He impressed me and I think he's ready to see some minutes if needed this season. I feel like he understands his strengths and plays to them from what I've seen this summer league. He's a smart player and has some experience and maturity as a five year. Reminds me of Austin a bit in that he just knows how to play the game. Not a project.

LTLakerFan, Helljumper and abeer3 like this.
  8. FrontOfJersey22

Still not buying that the Suns really rounded out their roster in a spectacular way. Yes, they are indeed extremely top heavy with two of their “stars” always missing a big chunk of the season due to injuries.

DeeZee, abeer3 and JSM like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

they made a bunch of good vet min signings. but honestly, so did we last year. the problem is that they're vet mins, and they're 2/3 of your roster. now, they don't have the russ anchor on top of that, so they're better off. but i don't see how they knocked it out of the park in FA or anything. maayyybe eric gordon is a guy who they got for less than his value on the court.

JSM likes this.
  10. PurpleAndGold88

11. PurpleAndGold88

12. FrontOfJersey22

That is my exact top five All Time. Steph is a smart man.

PurpleAndGold88 likes this.
  13. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Lol I think Oubre is like the SG/SF version of Christian Wood, except with the prototype size for his position and more defensive potential. Both of them have been highly associated with losing basketball can't accept that they are not as good as they think are. Big ball stoppers with low BBIQ. They would probably carve out long NBA careers if they could mold and fit their role into a team.

Pioneer10, abeer3 and svtzr like this.
  14. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Another solid album too.

Nas pulling a Lebron, string of great albums late in his career at a point where most of his contemporaries are washed

Juronimo and PurpleAndGold88 like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

PFFFT. Jordan was taller, stronger, even more of an athlete ..... and had the BIG hands. Make him play SF.

:Laugh:

16. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I appreciate him including three Lakers, but no Cap... c'mon now!

[​IMG]

17. LTLakerFan

:SadPau2: .... too top heavy / requires filling out the roster with new vet min mercenaries every year ..... and even "Toilets" Ballz would balk at THAT repeater tax.

:Kaream Surprise:

:Fishwink:

Cookie likes this.
  18. FrontOfJersey22

:Laugh:
    “Toilet Ballz”
    Hurry up and trademark that one!

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
  20. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

he didn't see him play man, I was born in '83 and barely remember watching Cap playing his final year or two. Steph is 5 years younger than me so no chance.

abeer3, 432J and LTLakerFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.