2023-24 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

TIME likes this.
  2. FrontOfJersey22

Nah, I am “pigmentationally challenged” so it can’t have “white” in the nickname.

3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Listening to Irwin's pod this morning with Harrison and Irwin mentioned we have contract offers out to Wood and Biyombo (for whichever will take it). Said Wood's agent doesn't think he's a minimum player.

Since neither are currently Lakers, that must mean both are holding out for better deals.

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    That’s 100% the reason it’s in the nickname. But I’m sure there will be others before one sticks.

5. FrontOfJersey22

Yes! This argument reminds me of how difficult it was for refs to call out fouls administered to Shaq. That dude was fouled nearly ever time he was fighting for position. It was just so difficult for the officials because he could take so much hacking and pushing.
    As for the flopping rules, I for one am extremely happy that this is finally being called out. Yeah, there will be a messy adjustment period, but it will dramatically lessen the thing that has bothered me the most over the past 15 years of NBA viewing.

6. sirronstuff

Once you take a minimum contract, you somewhat have devalued yourself in the market’s eyes whether fair or not. Very few people take a “prove it year” minimum contract after being in the league for years and then get paid more later. I’d be holding out if I’m them too. It’s not a great career move, and if AD is healthy, we may not have big minutes to offer.

jk

But those guys would both be signing up for major pay cuts. I’m sure they are in no hurry to take that offer.

LTLakerFan and TIME like this.
  7. FrontOfJersey22

As for the debate between Wood and Biyombo: I value defense too much to want Wood on my team. That being said, we are at the point in free agency(as well as our cap) where all we can do is pick between flawed players, so we most definitely aren’t getting a guy who can play well at both ends.

8. FrontOfJersey22

Reality will sink in sooner than later for Wood’s camp: Not many teams will like spending much on a dude who can’t stay with a team for very long. He made his bed.

CarolinaLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  9. sirronstuff

I also lean toward the defense first guy. Pulling more for BigWhack Biyombo in this scenario.

10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Wood is like 215 at 6’10”. Not husky. Wimp.

:D ;)

11. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Is Irwin actually connected enough to know those details?

Genuinely asking, not very familiar with what type of sources he may have, always assumed he was just a fan who became a blogger/podcaster

If true though, that is reassuring. Was worried maybe we were holding out for one player or the other and hadn’t actually offered contracts. But if we have offers out and are just waiting for whoever wants to accept, that’s really all you can ask for. Let’s see where the chips fall.

Kinda bizarre this is taking so long though. The free agent market has dried up, with pretty much every other prominent free agent already signed. If Wood/Biyombo don’t have a bigger offer than the minimum right now, I don’t see why that would change in the next few days/weeks

Pioneer10 and abeer3 like this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Maybe. He doesn't really actively chase info because he's said there's those that are much better at it with much better sources. But he is close with Larsuel (Lakers FO employee) and speaks with the beat writers regularly (Buha, Woike). I haven't gotten the impression he shares shaky stuff just to generate twitter impressions. He was also just in Vegas for summer league and hung out with a lot of those with credentials that cover teams, so maybe it even came from that.

Forgot to mention, from how he discussed it. Sounds like TT would be the fall back option if neither of those guys sign with us.

There's still some teams with MLE money. The minimum offer will be there from someone until camp. If we're not guaranteeing a starting spot and I pray we've learned and moved on from that, there's no benefit in any of them rushing.

13. DeeZee

DeeZee - Rookie -

abeer3 likes this.
  14. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Glad to hear Thompson is the backup plan.

There are indeed still teams with MLE and cap, here is a relatively recent breakdown (don’t think there have been any major changes to this yet)

But my point is, there isn’t really anybody left worth spending it on.

Like is Atlanta still patiently and thoroughly deliberating on who they want to spend their MLE money on between Christian Wood, Kelly Oubre, Kendrick Nunn, Will Barton, Terrence Ross, Derrick Jones Jr, TJ Warren, etc?

Feels like the league has collectively decided none of these remaining guys are worth more than the minimum, otherwise why wouldn’t a bigger deal have already emerged.

I get that if you’re Wood/Biyombo there is no harm in waiting to see if a bigger deal emerges, I just think that’s unrealistic at this juncture

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Trade rumors factor in too. Dame, Beard, and Siakam are still in play. That could factor into money and roster need for a number of teams.
    Herro: Nets, Bulls, Jazz, SA
    Dame: Blazers
    Beard: 6ers
    Siakam: Indy, Orl

So nearly half of those teams with money are potentially in a holding pattern to see how some of these deals play out. Players might be waiting on that, too.

16. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

17. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

LOL. IceCube knows more about basketball than Screaming A, just by sitting courtside at Staples.

18. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I think Ayo Dosunmu is also free. Which is intriguing, he looks to have a ton of potential. Even the Spurs would make sense for him, not sure what's happening

19. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Starting to cool on the idea of Wood. Last thing we need is a locker room cancer as he’s been alleged to have been in the past.

Barnstable, alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  20. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah that's my main argument against getting him. Due to continuity and the fact he's at the vet min, there would be less chance he actually poisons a locker room like ours, but there's still a chance.
    It's the main reason why I'm completely fine if we go with any other guy

CarolinaLakerFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.