2023-24 Team Developments: Trades / Free Agents / News / Rumors / Ideas

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nluna75

nluna75 - Rookie -

Look i like Miami cause of RIles, he was my coach back in the 80s and was sad when he was let go...or umm....he left on his own volition. So what though, it has nothing to do with this convo and the fact that you are wrong.

It's not about Herro being good or bad but taking in enough contracts to give up Lillard and Nurkic. Herro could still be traded or shipped off to a 3rd team if need be, the real treasure is the 1st round picks in 2024/2027/2029 and the 2nd round picks, as well as the pick swaps and once again taking in bad contracts like Nurkic. Miami can provide all of that plus whatever else they want.

You are not getting it, man. You think Portland wants any of Miami's veteran players? NO they don't. It's not about Herro or Robinson or Lowry.....once again it's about the picks (2024/2027/2029), the 2nd round picks, thepick swaps and finally the good young cheap players like Martin, Jovic and Jaquez.

LET ME REPEAT ONCE AGAIN............

You think Portland wants any of Miami's veteran players? NO they don't. It's not about Herro or Robinson or Lowry.....once again it's about the picks (2024/2027/2029), the 2nd round picks, thepick swaps and finally the good young cheap players like Martin, Jovic and Jaquez.

2. nluna75

nluna75 - Rookie -

It makes no sense for other teams to gut their roster for Lillard. Why would they? for 2 to 3 years of a player? It makes the most sense for Miami to do it, cause they can and have the personal to gut their roster cause Riley can rebuild around Butler, Lilllard and Bam. Even if its for only 3 seasons before it all unravels. BY then those 27 and 29 picks will be invaluable to go along with having Martin, Jovic, Jamie to pai with Portland's youngsters. In 3 seasons portland will be back and have draft captial to make a big trade.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i'm an idiot. thanks. nobody else has picks. that's clear. nobody else has players better than herro or contracts more tradeable than herro's. not sure how i missed all of this.

4. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

5. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

6. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
  7. nluna75

nluna75 - Rookie -

Its not that nobody has picks, man. Its about trading those picks and gutting your roster for a older guy who you can't build around unless you have the right veterans to do it.

Sure OKC can throw a millon of their picks but who else do they have on their roster that can match contracts and do you really think OKC or a team like them wants to take crap like Nurkic deal? Why would they or any other team do that? They won't.

We just going around in circles, let's just table this until a trade happens and then if you're right, god bless you.

abeer3 likes this.
  8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    This is maybe the worst mischaracterization of Dame that I could imagine. You could describe Curry the same way except he is 35. How many teams in the NBA would acquire Steph if they could? The same number that would want Dame. All of them. They are both unicorn level players. The lack of D just has to be covered by the rest of the team. Both of them strike fear into the hearts of whatever team they face. The only reason we aren't going after Dame is we don't have the assets necessary to move the needle.

9. Kobe Bryant 8

Hating the C Bags
    This.

And why does it have to be a trade between Portland and Team X? What if Portland can get theirs by moving Lillard to say, Philly, with Harden going to LAC? Portland then gets the goods and the other teams get what helps them?

abeer3 likes this.
  10. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

11. 52years

52years - Rookie -

You nor I have any idea what the NYK want but that is irrelevant to my statement.Once again if the NYK wanted Dame they could beat any other teams offer

abeer3 likes this.
  12. nluna75

nluna75 - Rookie -

With 4 2024 picks, you are right but after getting rid of toppin, they don't have the contracts to take on Lillard and Nurkic unless the gut their roster then, whats the point of making the trade in the 1st place. You don't think relying on a backcourt on Brunson/Lillard is not the scariest thing the Knicks can imagne. Fourneir and RJ plus 4 picks is awesome for Lillard but they still have to give up more contracts to take on that Nurkic deal. Then after all that what do you have left. Who can you sign or make another trade to get more depth? Whats the point if it only makes the Knicks good enough to be a 2nd round team which they are already.

52years likes this.
  13. Kobe Bryant 8

Hating the C Bags
  14. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Odd Christian Wood still hasn't signed

15. nluna75

nluna75 - Rookie -

Just gonna answer both here...........

You know comparing how 2 players age is fools gold cause no 2 players are alike and neither are their bodies. Just cause Steph can kick a** at 35 doesn't mean Lillard will as well. ANything can happen and history has shown small guards dont age well. Steph is the unicorn in this matter, maybe dame is too but as you know no team is gonna gut their roster for any player. Cause whats the point if the player is in his 30s and wants to win a ring. Dame is more in emergency mode then Steph so he needs a team with the right amount of veterans left after the trade. If he doesn't get that then might as well stay in Portland.

It doesn't have to be a one to one team trade, it can be a three way as i mentioned in one of my posts but as we have read from many different teams and GM's, its much harder to make a 3 way work. Notonly that but the 3rd team is gonna want draft capital to take on contracts and that should go against what Portland should want. Herro could be thrown to a 3rd team like SA or Detroit but those teams are gonna want a pick or maybe even 2 to take on those contracts and Portland should want to keep as many picks as possible in this trade.

I still say Miami's 24, 27 and 29 unprotected picks plus young players like Martin, Jovic and Jaime and the ability to take on Nurkic as well as not having to gut their roster trumps anything else out there. Just my opinion. I could be wrong if a trade happens.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  16. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

I like Herro a lot. Very good already and only 23. Could become a franchise cornerstone player in the right environment, or at least a #2 option on a really good team.

17. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

Herro is at BEST a #2 option IMO.

18. 52years

52years - Rookie -

If they just wanted Dame they could trade Robison ,Fournier and fillers and not gut their team at all.NYK have 6 first and 5 seconds in the next two years.I agree with you that it’s not likely but if I was Portland that’s who I’m approaching

19. nluna75

nluna75 - Rookie -

If its just for Dame then you're right but if im Portland, im not just getting rid of Dame im also unloading the s***ty contracts like Nurkic and if thats the case then the Knicks should back away cause then their roster is somewhat gutted and what are they after that trade? A 2nd round team which they are already. Maybe Hardin is the better play for the Knicks as he will not command all 4 picks and the knicks would not have to gut their roster just to pick up bad contracts.

20. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Well, you been around here too long to get a bunch of BS from a newbie, but I also would disagree with you on the Lillard hate. He said for years that he didn't want to be traded, he sees that he has 2 to 4 years left and realized his team just isn't going to do what it said it will do. I do NOT begrudge him for bailing out. If I were him, I would too. As far as the timing, not sure there was ever going to be a good time to do it. All I hope is that he doesn't end out on the Clippers or Denver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.