2022-23 Team Developments: News / Trades / Free Agents / Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by BangBoomPow, Jun 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Plenty of salaries to trade if we do that.

2. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

Why does it matter? It's a 10 day contract.

Also, who are these 3 C's the Lakers supposedly have besides AD? By my count, there are currently ZERO, and just 1 if Bamba comes back.

3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Gabriel and Bamba...anyone else would make 3. I don't think a 10 day is going to save the day at this point.

4. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

Gabriel is not a C. This thinking is part of the problem.

This thinking is also part of the problem. They're not here to save the day. They would be here to shore up clear weakness and help us win games like the Houston game where we got outrebounded by 15 and only lost by 4, that we could have won with more size. Probably other games too, where we get outrebounded and/or give up too much size.

I like Gabriel, but he's 6'9" F, and playing him as a long term 5 is not good. We upgraded our roster massively at the trade deadline, but we went from having 2 actual backup C's in T.Bryant and D.Jones (plus Gabriel), to only having 1 backup C, and now having none. We need to sign another. Anyway, your statement is false - by your count (including Gabriel), the Lakers did keep 3 other 5's besides AD for the majority of the season.

And I don't know why anyone would even argue against this - it's a freaking 10 day contract. You think a backup C on a 10 day contract is somehow gonna screw up the entire team?

alam1108 likes this.
  5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Because he's not going to play at all. If we hit our shots we don't lose to Houston either. That was one game. How many games did Jones play here? Thomas was a scoring power forward, and gave us absolutely nothing at 5, that's why Wenyen took his minutes,and he asked for a trade. I'm not worried about running out and signing some 10 day dude at center. If Bamba is done for the season..maybe makes more sense. Not today

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  7. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

Do you think that size does not matter at all, in any matchup against any opponent? Yes, a backup C over 6'8" or 6'9" should see minutes sometimes during some of our games, even if only a small amount.

That one game was huge, as is every game now. That one game alone would have boosted us one spot in the standings currently, from 9th to 8th. That's an average difference of 25% chance of making the real playoffs to 75% chance. That is enormous. Furthermore, there are other games that having a real backup C could have helped with, where we got outrebounded and lacked size.

He played 22.

He started 25 games at C putting up 14.5 & 8.6 in 26.7 min (19.6 & 11.6 per 36) with incredible shooting splits of 63% / 47% / 79%. Even after AD came back, T.Bryant still played 16 min/game primarily at backup C, putting up 7.9 & 4.7 in 16.4 min (17.3 & 10.3 per 36). Wenyen only played in 2 of those games, for 1 minute and 6 minutes. (And then when AD sat out the back to back, Wenyen got 16 backup minutes to T.Bryant's 27 minutes.)

Since he got injured, Bamba has been expected to be out most to all of the regular season and maybe more. The official word on March 9 was that he would be re-evaluated in 4 weeks. Re-evaluated, not returning. That timeline means re-evaluation on April 6. The regular season ends on April 9. Do you think the Lakers just don't need a backup C with size during the regular season, for any matchup? No contingency if AD or Wenyen get hurt, even just for 1 game? By my count, the Lakers used to have 2 backup C's and now have 0. By your count, the Lakers used to have 3 backup C's and now they have 1. Even by your standards, what would be the problem with signing someone to a 10 day contract, even just for a few min/game, or even zero but just in case it's needed? What's the harm? Because I know what the harm is the other way - potentially losing games and being out of even the play in.

For example, what if AD does end up sitting out one of the April 4/5 back to back games - do you think the Lakers could use a backup C at all instead of playing 6'8" Rui at C?

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

No. I don't think it's this big deal at all. I do not. I'm more concerned with these perimeter guys knocking down shots, or even being available to play, over who the 3rd center is. That's been more of an issue this season than having another 5. I don't think the team brass feels that way either, we have worked out multiple bigs and didn’t sign one. I liked Thomas, but he couldn't guard a chair and gave up about as many points as he scored. The team is better than it was when he was here, and frankly, I think Wenyen is a better fit for this current group than Bryant.

9. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

Ok, so for the record, Slick says that if AD sits out April 4/5 or any other game - the Lakers do not need any other Center. Just play 6'8" Rui and 6'9" Wenyen at C against 7'0" guys, no problem. Play 6'6" TBJ at PF against 6'11" guys, no problem. When it's already probably cost us a game against Houston. Doesn't sound optimal.

Are there are other things, like shooting, that are more important? Sure, but we are not choosing to shoot poorly. Here, the front office and coaching staff are actively choosing to make a bad decision, when it costs nothing other than a 10 day contract.

Again - what's the actual argument against it? Not, are there more important things. But what is a good reason not to do it? What's the harm? Why shoot yourself in the foot? It's not the #1 concern, but it's a small to potentially big thing that could potentially cost games, so why not just do it? There is no good answer.

jbiggs, alam1108, Juronimo and 3 others like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think not having another legit center-sized guy is an issue. when andre drummond looks good against you, that's a message.

i honestly think tristan thompson is good enough. we just need a big body for maybe 10-15 minutes against some teams. you can lose games in those minutes if you don't have someone and the opposition keys in on it.

alam1108, Juronimo, JSM and 3 others like this.
  11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

They can sign one and it won't make any difference IMO, but it might make you happy or something. Yeah Wenyen will suffice if AD is sitting out 1 game or LeBron can play 5 in that game.. I'm not sure why a 6'6 Troy Brown would be matched up like that anyway, when we have Wenyen, LeBron, Rui or Vanderbilt to play PF. Soo..I'm still unimpressed with this obsession with another 5. You are welcome to have your own thoughts on the subject though.

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Let's see how it looks tonight, the Bulls perimeter players kicked our a** IMO. Lebron 1st game back, no D'Angelo...that was the main problem. We shall see what it is tonight though.

13. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Uhh, I thought the consensus around here was to stay away from the three “star” model?
    I’m not interested in adding another one with a massive contract, unless one of the two are going out.

14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lol we are currently using the 3" star" model right now.You don't pay role players 30 million dollars. Less than 10 percent of NBA players make that kind of money. We didn't abandon the " 3 star" model at all. D'Angelo Russell is and might continue to be our 3rd star.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  15. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Looking ahead, I hope we largely run the team back. I hope DLo, Beasley, Rui and even Bamba are all brought back at least to preserve the salary slots. I’m assuming Reaves is back too. I’m fine with letting Dennis and Troy walk, the former should be replaced with a more defensive-minded backup PG IMO and I think Christie can step into Troy’s role. If we have the taxpayer MLE available I’d love to throw it at Jevon Carter.

It’s probably not happening with Ham, but I’d like to see us play a little bigger next year if only to get through the regular season. I think size and physicality helps you get through the grind of the regular season. My ideal rotation for next year would look something like the below, with Beasley+Rui+2029 FRP being a potential trade package:

DLO / Carter
    Reaves / Beasley / Christie
    LeBron / Rui
    AD / Vando
    Bamba / Vet min or draft pick center

alam1108 likes this.
  16. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Surprised you feel Dennis is not “defense oriented” with how hard he tries and plays on that end, also with his speed and willingness to pick up full court as needed.

alam1108 likes this.
  17. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

He plays hard on that end for sure but he’s still a small, slight PG that doesn’t really disrupt ballhandlets at the point of attack. It’s too easy to just shoot over him. I also don’t think we need scoring/playmaking from that spot anymore with DLO in the fold and Reaves improving, so I’d prefer a PG more in the mold of Carter.

18. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

19. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

AD to Chicago for LaVine, 2027 1st, and 2029 1st. Who says no?

20. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

What? I am not an "AD should be kept" supporter, as it is well known, but that's just ... add in 2 more FRPs, then we can talk.

Panko and TIME like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.