2022-23 Team Developments: News / Trades / Free Agents / Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by BangBoomPow, Jun 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

blazers shoot 12-42 tonight from 3 and lose by 25 to the wizards

stevie wonder saw that one coming

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

And of course they did.

3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

please reply to that tweet with your caption lol

ElginTheGreat and Barnstable like this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

If you're wondering about our financials this summer, this is a must read

alam1108, Cookie, Barnstable and 4 others like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

one thing i didn't know from that piece: we retain beasley's full bird rights even if we decline the option. so, it's possible to basically negotiate a longer-term extension with him, decline the option, and sign him to it.

guessing rob will have a talk with beasley's agent about what the alternative deal would look like before deciding whether to terminate. prior to reading that, my assumption was that the only path was to exercise the team option on beasley. but if he's willing to take a bit less for an extra year or two, everyone could be served (it would also reduce the chance he was traded again next year).

alam1108, Cookie, Barnstable and 3 others like this.
  6. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I totally believe that today's world is like that. Media is not independent and whatever you read was written and produced with a specific intent.
    I'm not saying this applies at a micro level and there's a mega plot or conspiracy theory or journalists meet in secret to decide what truth to convey. But at a macro level, and notably by the owners of media outlets, there's an editorial bias and a general message to spread. Either by personal beliefs, shareholders' requests, big corporations lobbying or whatever other mechanisms.

Media is the most powerful way of manipulation of masses. And capitalism made a few individuals and corporations mega rich that enabled them to control the narrative. That's why certain topics get more attention than others. It depends on who it serves.

A random example I remember John Oliver covering. It was about plastic recycling. Basically there's only 2 out of 7 plastic types that are recyclable. Most people don't know this. The general narrative is "if you want to save the environment, recycle" and "if you don't recycle, you don't care about the environment". So the burden is on the people and this was something Coca-Cola lobbied to create and it still lives to this day. But in reality, most things you send to recycling are useless, not to mention when the recycling processes don't answer the demand. And then the real problem is that the plastic crisis is actually big corporates' fault and the real solution is one of this two:
    A) big corporations should be responsible to recover the products they sell and apply circularity solutions on them (= more cost to corporations)
    B) big corporations transform their business models and use only recyclable products (= less profit to corporations)

Yet, the narrative is that people don't recycle enough.
    This happens across the board in anything in life. Even science is arguable nowadays, because it depends on what the presenter wants to show. The only "good thing" is that it's made by both sides of any discussion, so the fields levels.

As for how you navigate it, there's no good solution. Mine is to be mindful of it and try to question things and not take anything as certain. See the sources used and build some kind of trust with the different messengers, but always with a pinch of salt.
    For example, I like to follow John Oliver because his team does extensive research and presents a lot of facts and different sources. But even him have a specific message to pass as he supports the left. There was already a couple of bits where I think he went too far and either magnified certain things or closed his eyes to others. And I don't think he is told by whoever to say this or that, it's just what he defends. It is what it is. There's just too much information nowadays and a ton of ways to communicate. We live in a world where everything is polarized and every communication channels are biased because of that.

That sums up our season lol my god

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, well put. i'm not suggesting we blindly take in information, just that the opposite (fundamentally rejecting anything as valid except what you already believed) is an even worse alternative. belief in your own omniscience is worse than being gullible, and, paradoxically, also ends up making your more gullible. i can't imagine this existence. it seems impossible to live this way if you take it to its logical conclusion.

edit: anyway, back to the actual convo: i also forgot that outgoing trades only count the guaranteed amount now, which was probably a good change in the cba.

8. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

sorry if this was already posted.

9. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

That sounds good to me. I'd prefer to continue with Dlo being our starting point guard.

10. DeeZee

DeeZee - Rookie -

11. ItsDS17

ItsDS17 - Rookie -

Man. Having a starting PG that is respectable at taking 3s is a luxury that we just haven’t had in two years ..

12. ItsDS17

ItsDS17 - Rookie -

So thankful for this trade! bye russ!!

13. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

If Love doesn't come here I'd be shocked

14. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Russ going to the Clippers makes too much sense

D-Fish Man likes this.
  15. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I would not be surprised if Love is coming here. I'd be totally fine with that. He can still play.

16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

From Shams in The Athletic’s newsletter...

That'd be a nice pickup for Miami

17. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I could see him in Miami, maybe Denver too. I'd be fine with him coming here but he probably wants a legit shot at a title or significant minutes and I'm not sure we can offer either.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  18. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I actually would be surprised if we got Love. Wouldn’t mind it, but don’t think it makes much sense.

Not really any room for him in the rotation. We have Bamba under contract for $10 million next year, so I feel like we’re obligated to play him as our “stretch 5” and due to his size he should at least on paper be capable of better defense than Love at this stage of his career.

Would be great to have Love as a veteran locker room presence, emergency depth, situational playing time, etc, but I don’t see why he’d leave the 4th seed in the East to ride the bench on the 13th seed in the West. I figure he wants to go somewhere that is both competitive AND can offer him decent playing time.

19. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

Love it still is better than Bamba in my opinion. I think we should audition both and try to keep whoever performs better until the end of the season. I dont think we'll have trouble offloading Bamba in the summer if we need to.

20. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I’d rather stick with the guys we have than pickup K Love. I know it’s not either or because he’s been waived but I’d rather spend this time playing all our new guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.