2022-23 Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by alam1108, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    That could be the most positive thing coming out of all this for Vogel. Then he will go on and get a new team to coach and they will outplay us for 5 years straight.

abeer3 and alam1108 like this.
  2. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I think it's too soon to tell. You never go big against the Warriors. Let's see today and namely let's see with Portland how do we approach it and what type of minutes our bigs get

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

By the way, if you inserted a non-shooter into the starting 5, there's ways to negate the spacing issue i.e Green on GS and it isn't just "Curry and Klay have gravity,"

Screens and handoffs...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  4. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I'm guessing we are going to make one more move, but as of right now:

C - AD / TBryant / .... DJones
    PF - LeBron / Gabriel .... JTA
    SF - Troy Brown / Rui H / Christie
    SG - Beverley / Reaves / Lonnie
    PG - Dennis / Russ

If we move Lonnie + Beverley:

C - AD / TBryant / .... DJones
    PF - LeBron / Gabriel .... JTA
    SF - Shooter? / Rui H / Christie
    SG - Or Shooter? / Troy Brown / Reaves /
    PG - Dennis / Russ

svtzr and NickthaQuick like this.
  5. PurPle n GoLd 1

PurPle n GoLd 1 - Lakers 6th Man -

6. pika1708

We have 13 playable guys in this roster. Apart from Jones, anyone has a legitimate place in the rotation of almost any team in the league

That's an unbelievable job considering the roster last year

I imagine JTA, Max and Gabriel will be the ones losing space when everyone is healthy? That's not bad at all

7. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm not sure where Lonnie Walker fits. We play better without him despite his obvious talent.

I think he's expendable

abeer3 likes this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think some of that is skewed because lonnie played the most during the worst part of our season, but yeah, it's not like he's proven to be essential or anything.

i do think he's good, improving, and will continue to improve enough to be a 25mpg player on a team that wins. but we have both reaves and christie as two other young guys with similar promise (different gifts) that play the same spot. we really only need 2, imo. three's a crowd. ironically, it's what happened to lonnie in SA, too, imo.

i will say that both charlotte and toronto could potentially have space for him to do what he does best...

NickthaQuick likes this.
  9. NickthaQuick

Yeah and he was also hurt moving to the three. Unless Bev is traded, I don't see where he plays. Hui will get the bulk of the minutes at 3 and I imagine Brown will be his backup. Bev and Reaves will get the Bulk of the minutes at the 2.

I hope he doesn't take Brown's mins at the 3 cause he's horrible on defense there.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

walker's a 2 who can handle well enough to take on some light pg duties. i think his best spot would be either as a playmaking starting sg next to a shooting pg, or as a backup combo guard who gets to drive bench offense like clarkson was prior to this year.

we may not really have either role for him, depending on how other things shake out. so if we needed him for a trade, i can see why we'd do it.

11. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Schroeder / Russ / Bev
    Walker / Reaves / Christie
    LeBron / Brown Jr.
    Hachimura / Gabriel / JTA
    AD / Bryant

That's what I'd do with everyone healthy now, but I'm not sure if Ham is going to bury Bev on the bench like that even though he's became as expendable as Nunn was IMO. I hope to see a few minutes per game of AD and Bryant together, probably when LeBron is resting. All in all, this is the most excited I've been about the team in a long time. Hachimura isn't a star by any means but I think simply slotting everyone correctly will go a long way. If we're able to flip Bev for another piece, then we're cooking with gas.

lakerjones likes this.
  12. pika1708

Hmmm don't see him much as a playmaker. He even has 1 assist per game and 2 last year. He can definitely initiate the offense, dribbles well but if there isn't a driving lane he doesn't has much else.

He fits well in Ham's model so I think he will have minutes. Agree with you that his season averages are impacted by the worst part of our season. I'm very curious to see how he comes back now and fits the current team. Also curious to see the minutes distribution of guys like Max, JTA, Gabriel and Troy. I believe the first 3 may actually be DNPs which is kind of crazy considering our previous roster and even the current season.

There's 240 minutes to be distributed. I would imagine something like this:

PG
    Russ 27, Schroder 21
    SG
    Schroder 4, Bev 20, Lonnie 18, Reaves 6
    SF
    LeBron 20, Reaves 20, Troy 8
    PF
    AD 10, LeBron 14, Rui 24
    C
    Bryant 24, AD 24

You end up with something around this:
    LeBron 34
    AD 34
    Russ 27
    Reaves 26
    Schroder 25
    Bryant 24
    Rui 24
    Bev 20
    Lonnie 18
    Troy 8

This is an average and I can imagine changing depending on the matchups. It's great to have options to fit different matchups

And still have Max, JTA and Gabriel. That's a 10 deep rotation that's quite solid. No reason not to be in the playoffs

abeer3 likes this.
  13. NickthaQuick

Another thing to consider is will guys play worse now that they are sharing minutes? It seems guys played better recently with more minutes available to them. Schroder and Bev have played better without Reaves and Lonnie taking some minutes and Bryant has played well for the most part without AD.

When guys are back I can see people struggling to get in rhythm. Ham will have his work cut out for him.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. pika1708

That makes sense for sure.
    Let's hope not and the addition of those guys will build on the good stuff we currently have.

I do imagine that Bryant will suffer the most and will need to reinvent himself

NickthaQuick likes this.
  15. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Yes, TB will have to reinvent himself and to some people he might look almost redundant because he's best when he is our primary big. With that said, we really need a backup big who has potential to do this because... well... AD is going to get injured again at some point. Without TB we don't win many of these recent games.

NickthaQuick and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yeah it’s a no brainer we have one or more backup bigs that can start in AD’s place and not have us drop off a cliff. Too bad Jones was such an unexpected bust and really hope they move him in some great packaged deal.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, "playmaker" maybe isn't the term. he creates shots and movement on the part of the defense. his threat of finishing at all three levels is something that teams have to think about, imo.

There's 240 minutes to be distributed. I would imagine something like this:

PG
    Russ 27, Schroder 21
    SG
    Schroder 4, Bev 20, Lonnie 18, Reaves 6
    SF
    LeBron 20, Reaves 20, Troy 8
    PF
    AD 10, LeBron 14, Rui 24
    C
    Bryant 24, AD 24

You end up with something around this:
    LeBron 34
    AD 34
    Russ 27
    Reaves 26
    Schroder 25
    Bryant 24
    Rui 24
    Bev 20
    Lonnie 18
    Troy 8

This is an average and I can imagine changing depending on the matchups. It's great to have options to fit different matchups

And still have Max, JTA and Gabriel. That's a 10 deep rotation that's quite solid. No reason not to be in the playoffs[/QUOTE]

i like this general idea and breakdown, though i think schroder/russ needs to be hydraulic--one or the other is playing. getting bev down to 20mpg is key. he can still be an impact player doing that, imo.

and i think either lonnie OR troy getting 24 minutes is probably better than splitting it.

anyway, the "good" news is that injuries will likely continue to "solve" the minutes distribution problem.

if anything, our problem lies in having too many options. the two starting quarterbacks problem.

svtzr likes this.
  18. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I think that's where trading Bev or Lonnie could be an option for us.

19. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but this pushes AR out of position just to get him some minutes. This just shows that Bev and Lonnie are taking too many minutes on that chart, still.

20. NickthaQuick

Walker/Reaves/Bev is a log jam at the 2 and one of Walker/Reaves will move to the 3 and be a liability defensively.