2022-23 Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by alam1108, Aug 2, 2021.

1. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I think Kyrie trade can go plenty of ways so worst case scenario, we are riding with this:

Russ | THT
    Reaves | Walker | Nunn
    LeBron | Stan | Troy
    AD | JTA
    Jones | Bryant | Gabriel

Lack of shooting is undeniable. We can have a closing lineup with Nunn, Reaves, Stan or JTA, LeBron and AD that can be quite interesting.

Russ, THT and Lonnie don't excite me for now. If Nunn is not healthy, I think we are short there. Mostly because of the lack of shooting and modest defense

alam1108 likes this.
  2. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I'd assume we have Nunn as the backup PG. Which leaves THT and Walker to battle for the backup SG. Potentially THT could be also the backup SF with Stan pushing up to the PF.

Russ / Nunn
    Reaves / Walker
    Lebron / THT / Troy
    AD / Stan / JTA
    Jones / Bryant / Gabriel

I think Stan and THT can be decent defensively on the wing. But like you said we are really missing a decent 3&D wing that was mobile enough to play at SG but defend SF's would of been great. Not sure if we could do a THT + first for a wing like that?

alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  3. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I’m sure coach Vogel is punching air right now:Laugh:Pelinka went with geriatric squad for him and went way young this year:LLLLLebronlaughing:

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

this is my thought. if THT is going to work out, i think he has to be a backup point-forward type, which means he needs to defend the sf spot. as i mentioned in another thread, he has the standing reach and weight of an nba sf, so i don't see why not.

as for trades, i think THT/nunn could bring in say, harrison barnes, for example. but right now those are the two guys you have who can play backup pg in a pinch. if you move down to just THT, you can only bring in a guy making about 12-13 per, and there's not a lot of guys who fit the bill at that price, tbh (hence my carping about our mini mle expectations).

i also agree that stan will and should play as many minutes at 4 as he does at 3. guessing brown and gabriel won't see the floor much unless folks are injured.

5. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yes, I just put THT there because I guess he's unplayable with Russ.
    Basketball is heavy positionless nowadays. THT plays 1-3, Nunn 1-2, Reaves 1-3, Lonnie 1-3, Stan 3-4, JTA 3-4. And when you have a guy like LeBron, your guards are basically wings on offense.

This squad allows for very different looks that can be interesting. But the lack of shooting worries me. You don't win titles without it nowadays. That's why it baffles me the stall on Kyrie trade because of Harris. But Phoenix didn't had a ton of shooting and reached the Finals.

We can only contend with that Nets trade though. But it should be a more funny team to watch even if we don't get that trade

The fact we didn't get any PG hints that a deal with THT/Nunn is unlikely (for a wing) which surprises me. But I can easily be sold in giving THT 1 more year in a different system to up his value. And Nunn the same because he should play this year no? They both tanked their value last year, so it makes some sense if we hold on to them

svtzr and abeer3 like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

if THT/nunn are moved for something that's not a pg, i wonder if a bought-out patbev is our backup pg. either that or i guess klutch bledsoe.

7. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    Bryant. Jones Gabriel
    AD Johnson. Swider
    LeBron JTA Troy Brown
    HBK Walker Christie
    Nunn. THT Pip Jr.

send Rustbrick home

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

assuming we can't move him, i want to give russ his chance at redemption. if he comes out and plays better, he gets to pin it all on vogel and maybe regains some esteem (which he cares about VERY much). if he doesn't, i think ham has the green light to excise him from the rotation.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Cookie and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  9. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    probably what will happen but it would be truly the definition of insanity

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i can't know this, but i really feel like we've turned over every stone in terms of moving russ, and none of it has yielded a sensible move yet. going into the season with him starting is a weird mix of defiance and capitulation, and if the nets are stubborn, that's where we're going.

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Seems all the GMs on all the teams we checked with about that big juicy 47M expiring contract of a first ballot HOF triple double machine …. saw the same thing everyone here saw, except for Slick. ;) And don’t give a s*** whether LeBron and AD were healthy or not. Because they were evaluating the BBB himself.

(Big Brick-headed Bricker) ;)

12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

With the Bev press conference yesterday I'm starting to believe we're starting the season with Russ still on the team.

Russell Westbrook / Kendrick Nunn
    Patrick Beverley / Austin Reaves / Lonnie Walker IV
    Lebron James / Troy Brown Jr / Max Christie
    Anthony Davis / Juan Toscano Anderson / Wenyen Gabriel
    Thomas Bryant / Damien Jones

Scottie Pippen Jr and Cole Swider on 2-way. Jay Huff camp invite. 2 open roster spots.
    ---------------------------------
    Trading THT and Stan really tightened up the roster a bit, before there were some overlaps.

Guard rotation is set though a lot of faith is in Nunn returning. Also a little disconcerting that our mMLE is at the end of the rotation unless Reaves plays up into SF.

Forward rotation I'm still not too happy about. Wasn't expecting Brown to play a lot but he might end up having to play a bigger role. I really like JTA here but he's still a tad undersized for the 4.

Our biggest improvement is in the center rotation. We pretty much had two unplayable centers last year and then had to run Melo at center. I really like how TB and Jones pairs with AD out there, and it also allows AD to play more 4/wing.

Hoping Huff gets one of the last spots for center insurance. And maybe a more NBA ready wing instead of Christie.

lakerjones and Toklat like this.
  13. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

This is going to be interesting and a great test for Coach Ham right off the bat. Russ might prove me wrong but I don't think he can win a starting job over Reaves or Nunn based on what Ham has said he is looking for. It would not surprise me to see a Reaves, Nunn, Bryant, LeBron, AD line up. Beverly and Russ can have have their time being sparkplugs off the Bench. Nothing wrong with that.

14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Meh..who cares? Besides some " insiders" speculating, I'm not sure how hard we shopped Russ at all. When you put out early that you aren't interested in taking back injury risks, or giving up picks, the options are going to be limited from the start. The only things being floated, involves one of those things or both. A deal isn't going to happen, that's been rather obvious to me for awhile. I don't give a damn about all these other Gm's opinions, they haven't won any recent chips, I do give a s*** about whether Lebron and AD are healthy or not tho. Anyway if Nunn is a go, I guess we'll actually get to see whether this thing will work or not.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i agree with me from two months ago.

Cookie likes this.
  16. Henry_Hart

Henry_Hart - Rookie -

Nunn, reportedly, hasn't played 5 on 5 yet. Ham yesterday said that he looks great in "individual" workouts.

17. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

I can't predict if will be healthy or not but if healthy he stands a good chance of earning a starting spot. Nunn is a good player and fits our needs. In the end I trust Coach Ham to make the right call.

18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Bryant is going to be a big piece if he can stay healthy and knock down shots.

19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I certainly hope not. Why get Bev if he's not starting alongside Bron and AD? Bryant has to start at C if we Russ is here and starting. Also pegging Nunn as a starter when he hasn't played 5 on 5 in a year... is this Ariza all over again?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yeah sounds like a crock for clicks from Zach. After all the appearances and quotes from Ham continually talking about starting positions based on competition and ability to play defense, no way in hell can he pencil in Brick and Nunn at this point. PLUS ... Brick just basically put it out there unofficially through Ramona he'd like to go somewhere where he could be empowered to play the same way he has always played which is nothing like what Darvin has been describing he wants to see from him. F*** off Zach.

abeer3 likes this.