2020-21 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Once I heard the AB news, honestly at this point I almost hope the season gets cancelled. Selfishly, we’d be missing our best perimeter defender. We may very well end up missing our two centers too, with Javale’s asthma history and Dwight’s social stance. We’d possibly be playing with huge changes to our core rotation, as would much of the rest of the league. More than 4 months after the last games. Would be 2 months after the season normally ends. During a pandemic that seems to be on the rise again. In a bubble without any fans. Amidst social unrest and protests. Even if we ended up winning, it would feel so weird.

If the virus really is making a bit of a resurgence, it would also be another big moment for the NBA to again take the lead and decide it’s not safe to play. Although, I have a feeling this time around the NBA will Push through and scrape together whatever type of ending to the season they can in order to salvage the financial impact.

Kenzo, Barnstable and Weezy like this.
  2. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Keep in mind other teams will likely have players who are opting out. We can’t be the only team out of 22 that has a player or players choosing to stay home. That’d be baffling, especially since we have as good a chance as anyone.

IE Lakers likes this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I’m losing interest in this by the day. It was going to be weird enough to have no fans in attendance and playing in a bubble, but now players just opting out, anyone who wins the title will undoubtedly have an asterisk next to their name. Damn shame to waste a precious year of LeBron’s prime, and it likely hurts his legacy as we had a real shot at winning it all this season and next, but what can you really do at this point. I swear I did read on twitter that LeBron or maybe Danny Green has been in touch with Dwight and feels he will ultimately decide to play though, if that matters. Like you said, probably not wise for McGee, he got sick last season with like pneumonia already, risking COVID could be disastrous. I mean of course I’d still watch if this does proceed, but I cannot see it feeling all that legitimate, even if we did win it all I can’t imagine it being something to brag about unless somehow every team we faced had almost all of their players and we beat a full strength Clippers and Bucks team in the end.

IE Lakers and wallangong like this.
  4. D-Fish Man

I’m not ready to delegitimize the season. So far nobody hugely important is sitting out. Kawhi, PG, Harden, Giannis, etc. will all be there and I sure as hell don’t want to gift one or more of them a ring and then have to be the ones arguing it’s not legitimate.

5. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I'm the opposite as some of you here, I'm absolutely as interested as ever and I can't wait for the season to restart. I think it will and I'm expecting it to go all the way through to the end. Let's get it going!

6. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

I’m here for #17, and don’t care if they put an *asterisk beside it. Need for Rob to sign us an adequate enough replacement for AB and let’s roll.

7. Weezy

I’ll take basketball being back, but there’s no way it can be the same. All we will hear is shoes squeaking, the ball bouncing, and players talking, it will be like an NBA TV training camp scrimmage. No fans, no home arenas, it will be weird. I’m still wondering if the court will even be mic’d, because if not they’re going to have to broadcast this on HBO or have a 10 second delay and a guy on the swear button for 2 1/2 hours. Having no fans in the stands alone will make this a completely different thing on its own, no team will ever have played for a title under those circumstances, and I believe some players and teams feed off the crowd and it can even help them gain momentum. But hey at least they won’t be there to influence refs, it’ll be interesting to see if Haren loses his powers without the crowd, almost like the veil will be lifted and the refs will suddenly go “what the hell have we been doing, this guy is a clown” and he’ll look even sillier. In the end if we win the title of course I’ll celebrate it, but I cannot see how people, fans, even media won’t be devaluing it.

8. D-Fish Man

I have a feeling they're going to pump fake crowd noises into the stands or into the broadcast. Basketball without the crowd noise would be very alien.

9. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

You mean real noises, but pump them over the speakers. :) Like a playback singer. They can use fake (cardboard) audience as well.

[​IMG]

10. timothy

timothy - Rookie -

THIS.

AND THIS.

Please, I need the season to happen. We need our shot at the title, don’t care if it’s in this manner, and quite frankly, I don’t believe the eventual champion would either.

Not trying to wait another full 1 year to get another shot at this, anything can happen in 1 offseason.

I am 120% all in on the season resuming next month and vying for this title.

11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

BTW I'm very sorry to hear that AB won't be rejoining us. But I totally get it between his concerns for social progress and his family's health. I will miss him very much as he was one of my favorite Lakers this year. Ah well. His defense is outstanding. Here's hoping Alex Caruso and KCP can fill the void. I'm not opposed to signing JR Smith for obvious Lebron familiarity reasons, even though he's a knucklehead. But he's no starter at this point.

12. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

We also have Waiters. I have absolutely no doubt that AC, KCP and Waiters can fill the void, offensively AND defensively. KCP would start IMO.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

this is where I’m at too. At least right now. I’m hoping watching the games will get me going but I’m not as excited about this as I probably should be.

14. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    It’s not just that I think the lack of fans is going to feel weird or that I’m trying to delegitimize the return in case we lose. I am also legitimately concerned about how viable the return will be considering the growing Covid hotspot in Florida. I don’t trust that the “bubble” is going to work out in practice. Even if the NBA players actually comply and strictly isolate and follow social distancing/masks, you have so many other employees that will have to be going in and out. And I’m very skeptical that all the NBA players actually comply. They’ll find ways to sneak out and have fun. One of them will bring back the virus, and from there it seems to spread rapidly within locker rooms based on what we’re seeing from football/baseball teams. I could see a scenario where they have to abandon ship mid-return, or are forced to continue with a bunch of replacement players after a few cases pop up.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  15. IE Lakers

IE Lakers - Lakers 6th Man -

“ . . . and we beat a full strength Clippers and Bucks team in the end.” Bucks or C Bags you mean.

Come on, Weezy

16. Weezy

I genuinely forgot they were good this year, I was thinking about the Bucks, Sixers, possibly the Pacers and Heat as dark horses, but yeah you’re right, I’d sure count that as legit if we beat those guys.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Cookie like this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    not sure what to think about this 2K approach to filling out rosters to finish the season.

18. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Any replacement will be a horrible fit but we have The King to adjust this new horses...

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

KCP will get the start now I’m thinking. Let’s hope the lay-off hasn’t reverted him to KC Poop.

20. D-Fish Man

Ready and willing to correctively shame him as necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.