2019 Draft Class

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Khmrp, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

He had great numbers at Duke (aside from (%30 from the college 3 point line), but I just didn’t love his game, and I watched a lot of their games. Maybe it was because you’re watching him next to Zion? Possible his game is better suited for the NBA than college too, but he had too many stretches for me where he wasn’t aggressive enough, wasn’t polished enough, a lot of the same concerns with Ingram coming out of Duke. I remain wary of him, despite Garland playing so few games, he just looks smoother. But Barrett absolutely has the potential to be a great player or he wouldn’t be getting talked about as almost a consensus #3 pick.

2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

you agree with some of the a***ement out there that his comp is Tmac?

3. Weezy

Well, I don’t really remember T-Mac as a rookie or young player, because who the hell watches Raptors games (they’re a team I often forgot existed before this year with Kawhi, along with Detroit and Memphis, couple others), I guess that’s possible. Quick look at T-Mac’s stats his first 3 years he was ok and then awful from 3, 2 years in a row under 30%, but he clearly got better as he went along. I just didn’t love Barrett’s game, Zion really made that team go, and Jones was its heart, Barrett was that guy who could have a great game or a really rough one on any night. I guess if people are going to go with wild comparisons like that I will say Garland’s game reminds me of a less athletic Lillard. Nice jumper, great handles, smooth finishes at the rim, he just looks a little shorter and skinnier.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

LOL the great Jerry West took allegedly about 20 minutes watching high school Kobe work out and said he'd seen enough. I watched 1 minute and 20 seconds of only the first video and have seen enough. Yes please. Give me the athletic horse with skills. Has NBA ready man muscles by this October. Potentially great Bigger man over potentially great smaller man. IMHO.

5. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

there's no way RJ falls to 4.

6. Weezy

He was just frustratingly inconsistent a lot of the time I watched. He’d have monster games and super meh games. His 3 point shot would sometimes go missing for entire games. He just for me didn’t live up to the hype of the pairing of him and Zion. I don’t take a guy at 4 based on athleticism, I go with skill and overall talent there. Again, the potential is there, but he could also end up being another guy like Wes Johnson. I think NY is going to take him anyway though, so not sure it even matters. I just hope Joey and Jesse really do their homework if it is between Barrett and Garland for us.

7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

RJ kinda reminded me a little of Jabari Parker, slightly more athletic. All around skills, but nothing that screams elite from any standpoint.

8. LTLakerFan

OK got it never mind.

[​IMG]

sirronstuff likes this.
  9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...n-williamson-include-roc-nation-klutch-sports

10. alam1108

abeer3 and Khmrp like this.
  11. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

excellent news!!!, if we could obtain an early 2nder and draft him it would be big for us....I see this guy as a poor mans Duncan, fundamentally sound, not athletic but enough to be effective down low and of course the 3pt show. Would be a better prosepct than Wagner IMO

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  12. Weezy

LOL, that was a bad example, I don’t think he will be Wes Johnson. I was trying to think of guys like him in the NBA that were supposed to be great because they had the tools, yet ended up being just another 6’7 decent SF, someone ultimately not worthy of the #3 or #4 pick. When you watch Zion you see something unlike anyone else, when you watch Morant you see some of the great guards ruling the league today. When I see Barrett I’m not sure of the comparison, he looks like the typical college forward with times of brilliance and times of frustrating inconsistency. Could end up being great, could end up being Kidd-Gilchrist? Otto Porter? Tobias Harris? Robert Covington? Hell, I don’t know.

Toneloc and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Wes was already an older player during his draft and he used a very good tournament to jump into the standings, he was nothing more than a jumping machine with no actual bball skills, pure athleticism.

14. alam1108

15. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Justise Winslow or Stanley Johnson, maybe?

16. Weezy

I think he’s way more offensively skilled than either of those guys. I’m not as down on him as I’m making it seem, it’s just for a 4th overall pick, there are concerns to me. IF NY doesn’t take him and goes with Garland or someone else, and we did take him, I would not be mad at all, he has the potential to put it together and be great, or be a nice trade asset for AD/other star if we go the sign big FA THEN try to get AD or Beal, etc. With the Knicks already having Dennis Smith Jr I don’t know why they’d take Garland, especially if he’s not working out for teams anymore. Again, this is all based on the assumption we use our pick. If we took Barrett he’d kind of be another Ingram though, so I’m not sure where he’d play right away, unless Ingram would be going out in a trade instead of Barrett. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s times like these I really wish realdeal were back around so he could break this stuff down better. I’m no expert, I just watched every Duke game I could this year because of Zion. That’s also why I’m not high on Cam Reddish.

17. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Buy a 2nd round pick and go get this kid. Plus it doesn't hurt that he's a Klutch klient and has New Balance Kawhi ties.

abeer3 likes this.
  18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    If LiAngelo Ball is better than Zion, we’d be crazy not to sign him!

abeer3 and Khmrp like this.
  19. LTLakerFan

Don't know if really true though. LaVar can exaggerate. We take Gelo with that 4th pick and if he winds up just being a role player we're kind of f*****.

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    we need an NBA ready prospect, yeah I can see Gelo still available with the 4th pick. It's a steal

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.