2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Ha ha, free Iggy!

2. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

I doubt the Injured Player Exception is much of a factor in Iggy should Memphis wait. But I'll take any advantage. It would probably matter more to like a 5-year man @ the deadline who would get an extra 650k or so based on a .585 prorate (68 days left on the 177 day season). Good to have though, another tool in the box.

You can be assured this will not be Iggy's last season if he gets no buyout.

Oh yeah and haha @ the Clips for their fans and Doc looking like dumba$$e$

SFGOLDRUSHER and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Don't know what LFR is referring to with the Antonio Brown video reference but I love he's getting involved on line in Iggy's cause. Have to feel we are totally number one in his priorities now for a number of reasons including chance for a ring again, fabulous roster, his man Rob here wanting him and most importantly why in **** would he choose to go play with Houston instead? We're gonna kick their a***s.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

I think the Iguodala-Memphis buyout issue will eventually work itself out once Memphis comes to the realization nobody is willing to give up an asset for Iggy via trade.

Having said that, Iggy to Lakers would be awesome. Our version of the death lineup would be LeBron/Green/Iguodala/Kuzma/AD.

5. LTLakerFan

Oh my god. Do not let @vasashi17 see you say this. Only if the opposing 5 spot is X number of inches shorter and X number of pounds lighter than AD. Check with him first about what those sacred and non negotiable measurements are ..... because he's gone off the deep end with just how big of a p***y AD is about playing the 5 ONLY if he has that size advantage.

Most every team except the Lakers has 3 centers on their roster that will be bigger and /or stronger than AD in that position the entire game. (sarcasm).

McGee and Howard somehow are not allowed into this conversation because who knows why. They didn't cost enough money I think is the argument.

:Crazyartest:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    tada, SFGOLDRUSHER, Weezy and 2 others like this.
  6. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

That would be a beauty to watch. Assuming Kuzma/AD have both improved their three point shooting, we would have the right amount of defense, shooting, and versatility. From Memphis perspective, though, they are definitely making the correct decision by choosing to wait. Midseason, a player like Iggy could be the perfect missing piece for a contending team. As it is now, it doesn't make a lot of sense for teams to trade for that contract. Eventually, and hopefully, Iggy will get bought out. I see him possibly joining:

Lakers
    Clippers
    Philly

I think if Lakers knew for a fact we weren't getting Iggy, we would have bought into Melo by now.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  7. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

LT: The argument is that Dwight gifted us that option. Like TyChand the year before, it does not happen without a buyout.

So we were ready to go into the season with an injury checkered Boog and an asthmatic Mcgee knowing damn well none of those options had shown they were capable of playing 30mpg as of late.

So we're essentially placing our free agent to be in a pickle that we could have easily avoided with our 33m in cap space.

This is the same dude that liked this tweet...

Show him how much you care before going into free agency again...so that we're not in a pickle.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  8. BangBoomPow

You do realize AD was the one who WANTED Cousins, right?

tada, abeer3 and SFGOLDRUSHER like this.
  9. vasashi17

You do realize you can have more than 2 at the 5 spot, right?

For example: Green/Kcp/AvBrad/Daniels/THT/Novell (on a 2way) are all SGs. Grand total in salary 30m that is capable of playing 48mpg
    (career 25/30/28/16/rook/rook mpg)

I realize you're new here. So based off your commentary towards my other posts in other threads, I have a certain rapport with certain members and I'm addressing them. You might not understand that till you check my receipts. I respect them to banter with them. I'm still deciding how to address you tho haha.

Either way, keep posting strong. But the majority of your takes so far, I disagree with. I'll leave it at that for now. I don't want to be babbling "junk" too much.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  10. BangBoomPow

What does me being new have anything to do with whatever you just posted? Don't take things personal, buddy. You said, "Lakers should show him they care" and I responded that Lakers did exactly that by grabbing Cousins. Cousins getting injured wasn't something AD or Lakers expected or else they would have never signed him. There aren't a lot of options at the 5 and it's easy for you to speak of this in hindsight and say Lakers should have gotten another center, etc., There is not a wide availability for centers right now. Heck, a bunch of Lakers fans still dislike signing the Lakers signing Dwight. Again, AD isn't dumb. Most Lakers fans didn't expect Cousins to get injured again because he spent most of last year rehabbing and was supposedly losing lots of weight. There wouldn't be enough minutes for any other center once we signed Cousins and McGee so which other center would you prefer we had used that spot on when there are players like Iggy who could potentially be bought out? Noah? Gortat? You're totally unrealistic.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

vash wanted the lakers to eat salary for picks, i believe. not necessarily centers (though maybe whiteside?--i can't keep up). not sure how many centers or of what quality they needed to be, but more and better...because AD is leaving on account of our center situation.

i don't get it and have disagreed frequently, but there's literally no ground gained, so whatever.

it seems like he's mad we signed green, kcp, and bradley. but at their salaries, i probably rather have those three and the two (three, really) centers we got than redistributing the cash for centers (look who signed and for what...then ask if you'd trade ours for theirs).

THT's a developmental guy. daniels is an end of the bench guy with an elite, useful skill. and we still have a roster spot open in case we have a glaring need at another spot. and kcp, bradley, and green will all be tradeable in december should something terrible happen and we have to scramble to fill roles.

much ado about nothing, imo.

the real angst seems to be about not getting kawhi and then punting on the third max. but in reality, not getting kawhi just solidified that we should have punted on the third max idea LAST YEAR. like some of us said.

SFGOLDRUSHER and Weezy like this.
  12. BangBoomPow

I highly doubt Rob was making these moves without consulting Bron and AD as well. Filling it up with DG, Bradley, etc., wasn't just Rob himself. I can't recall but AD stated that Rob was calling him every hour about making X move and AD was sarcastically saying he was tired of it. As for the third max, I truly believe Kawhi was serious about joining the Lakers and any time you can free up a max for guys like Kawhi, KD, Kyrie, Klay, etc., you take that chance. Clippers just pulled off a heist with Jerry West. Nothing to be ashamed about. I like our team right now. It could have been better but we did the best we could with what we have. AD+Bron on any team, we would be talking about how great of a job that franchise did. Our #1 concern is health and that's going to be a wait and see situation. Until then, we've got a lot to be excited about. Our best chance of winning a championship the last 8 years and having 2/6 top players in the NBA.

tada, SFGOLDRUSHER, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  13. vasashi17

Nah, I wanted a better plan B. Can't anybody say with a straight face that plan B was Green, bringing back half the MUD crew, not having the trade capital to at least bring in a 3rd max type later and sacrificing some of the now for a play at 2021 and Giannis.

Out of all people, that type of plan should bother you the most abeer.

We prematurely locked up 2 roster spots in Dudz/Daniels when we didn't have to. We have to pray that Rondo stays healthy otherwise who besides Bron and Caruso can handle the rock and playmake for others? We gotta pray that Kuz stays healthy otherwise who can back up Bron and AD when they need a breather? We gotta pray our centers stay healthy.

Also McGee and Rondo are essentially 1yr deals with player opt outs, so they have de-facto no trade clauses built in as early bird free agents. Kcp has a no trade clause and can also be viewed as a one year deal with his player option. AvBrad is essentially a one year deal with a player option and Boog has a straight one year deal. So our most practical trade pieces are Green, Cook, Caruso and Kuz and every single one of them would have to be traded to bring in a 3rd max type...technically we couldn't trade for Beal even if we wanted to unless all those guys are involved or a no-trade claused guy consents to the trade.

And that was our perceived plan B this summer.

Also, when did we trade for AD and if conversations were conducted back and forth we knew an able bodied center was a premium for him outside of getting a 3rd max guy (who btw also lightens the regular season load). So ample time was there to approach free agency accordingly after the AD trade.

At the very least you could use vet mins on WCS or Jordan Bell...or don't have to break the bank (ie even use the room exception) to go for guys like Looney, BLo, Valanciunas, Kanter, RoLo and Boban.

For example, we had enough cap space to go get both Green and BLo.

And if there was a grander option, we were rumored to be in trade talks for Vuc last year too and seeing how his salary depreciates annually, he would have been a decent trade asset as he aged. It's wild that we were never really rumored to any 25/30% max guys outside Kawhi and DLo, so was it really just Green as our preferred contigency cause that's poor planning with 2 weeks left after the AD deal was agreed upon.

I rather take in assets in a salary dump and go with frontline help with the rest of our cap and go get Wesley Matthews/AvBrad with remaining cap and the room exception instead of throwing the majority of it at Green/Kcp.

Anyways, shoulda woulda coulda but can no one tell me that we attained an envisioned plan B this summer if Kawhi wasn't attained. In fact, we know that DLo was most likely our plan B. At the very least he would minimize Bron's regular season usage. Instead we have clear deficiencies and have to heavily rely on hope and Memphis granting us buyouts. Hey, at least half way there...

And since you are a Jerry West disciple, you can't ignore that even with SG/SFs like Kawhi and George, the logo consulted that the clips invest heavily in the wing position to help manage their stars' loads during the regular season. Nearly 30m going to 5 players is what they invested in depth behind Kawhi/George. Meanwhile we have Kuz/Dudz/Giannis's brother (combined 5m investment) backing up our starting forwards Bron & AD.

Anyways, I'm hoping for the best and I expect us to make noise into May this year. But my preference is that we would have left less to chance and imo we didn't this summer. That's where my angst lies.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

green was one of the more sought-after second-tier FAs. i wished they would have chased butler harder, but apparently there was no interest. otherwise, finding one of the league's best 3 and d guys is pretty great. and if he's aged out, it's only a two-year deal. avery bradley and cousins were also guys i would have wanted prior to the offseason, maybe cook, too. i didn't see a lot of major missed opportunities, particularly given that the kawhi chase was priority #1 and dragged on so long.

i mean, i'm not going to fuss too much about vet mins that can be dropped at any moment for other, healthier and/or better fitting vet mins later. and every team has to pray for health. nobody is three deep at five positions with guys they actually want to put on the floor.

what was our plan B? trade for beal?? a guy who's not on the market and might require almost as many assets as it took to get AD despite being nowhere near as valuable?

i always thought that was a futile pursuit if it was one at all.

valanciunas got 3/45. brolo got 4/52. kanter's a sieve. and we got cousins instead of the others. you think boban and rolo wanted to sign on as third stringers?

And if there was a grander option, we were rumored to be in trade talks for Vuc last year too and seeing how his salary depreciates annually, he would have been a decent trade asset as he aged. It's wild that we were never really rumored to any 25/30% max guys outside Kawhi and DLo, so was it really just Green as our preferred contigency cause that's poor planning with 2 weeks left after the AD deal was agreed upon.

I rather take in assets in a salary dump and go with frontline help with the rest of our cap and go get Wesley Matthews/AvBrad with remaining cap and the room exception instead of throwing the majority of it at Green/Kcp.

Anyways, shoulda woulda coulda but can no one tell me that we attained an envisioned plan B this summer if Kawhi wasn't attained. In fact, we know that DLo was most likely our plan B. At the very least he would minimize Bron's regular season usage. Instead we have clear deficiencies and have to heavily rely on hope and Memphis granting us buyouts. Hey, at least half way there...

And since you are a Jerry West disciple, you can't ignore that even with SG/SFs like Kawhi and George, the logo consulted that the clips invest heavily in the wing position to help manage their stars' loads during the regular season. Nearly 30m going to 5 players is what they invested in depth behind Kawhi/George. Meanwhile we have Kuz/Dudz/Giannis's brother (combined 5m investment) backing up our starting forwards Bron & AD.

Anyways, I'm hoping for the best and I expect us to make noise into May this year. But my preference is that we would have left less to chance and imo we didn't this summer. That's where my angst lies.[/QUOTE]

how do we KNOW that DLO was plan B? and we didn't have to wait on a buyout...until we lost a guy for the season.

i'm fully on board with not paying big cash for your stars' backups. if lebron or AD goes down, we're screwed, and mo harkless ain't savin' s***. the 2mpg that mo harkless saves won't prevent the injury that kills our season, either. people have gotten really carried away with the load management stuff. dantoni rides his guys like crazy and they stay healthy. other guys rest and still get hurt. the idea that we can game the generally random system of injuries is pretty crazy. and using it as a guiding principle in team-building is putting the cart before the horse.

15. vasashi17

In regards to DLo rumored to being a max option for us...

MDA teams gas out in the playoffs and we've seen it repeatedly over the years. Never forget that Mr Pringles shaved years off Kob's twilight as well.

A healthy Raps team vs an injury riddled dubs team is enough to tell you load management does matter. If you look at the Raps depth chart, they had Spicy P's and OG's playmaking/iso game and Green's offensive shooting as guys that could take over when Kawhi had to manage his load. Not to mention they had allstars/all nbaers (present and previous) like Gasol, Lowry and Ibaka to also help with the load. Speaking of wankers, if you got past all that boring stuff above, this one is for you Wino.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for center depth that leaks into the 21GiannisPlan, you wouldn't do BLo at 12m per over Green at 15m...really?!? Even after looking at his defensive numbers?

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season&PlayerPosition=C

BLo next to Giannis sure worked...can you imagine putting him next to AD? And then getting his brother at a discount to join the sideshow. And who says you can't get Boog to sign a 1yr deal in addition to adding the Lopez bros? Now you're 3 deep, added 2 previous all-star centers and kept AD happy at the 4 for the regular season.

In regards to Beal, that's an option where we struck out on all the max guy's this summer, recouped some trade capital via our cap space and then go hunting for a 3rd max type with those resources the closer we got to the deadline. As of right now, that option is no longer a realistic possibility.

Wino likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lopez got a 4 year deal. i'm not handing those out to older players.

as for russell, bkn never renounced his rights. people talked about him coming here, but the idea that we "struck out" on that front in any way are unfounded. and i'm not sure i'd rather have dlo than what we got instead.

beal wouldn't be a third max. if we struck out on maxes this summer (which we were apparently going to in any case), he'd be the second max after lebron--at a cost near AD's. we did that right.

17. vasashi17

I don't know where I'm losing you on the 3rd max scenario, but let me try it again.

You're using cap space to absorb assets and dumped salary (which would still be useful, which is why they got big money in the first place...see Dragic as someone that could potentially burden the load towards Bron's usage/playmaking during the regular season). Use the remaining cap to go get the best player available (ie Green) or a need and then you got assets to trade for a distressed max type at the deadline. It wouldn't be AD or Beal...in that scenario it would be AD already in the bag and a 3rd max type via trade using the picks we got, the dirty contract we absorbed (for salary matching) and the free agent we got this summer (who is tradeable after Dec 15th). Kuz and distant picks can sweeten the pot.

As of right now, our immediate trade capital is Green and Kuz, cause our immediate draft capital is in the control of the Pels and our other free agent contracts need consent for trade (Caruso, Rondo, McGee and Kcp have built in no trade clauses via their bird rights). If a max guy demands a trade to us this year we already had limited assets to get it done and now we wouldn't even have full control to do so due to our limitations.

I think we just fundamentally disagree with how playmakers/3rd max type could help this team. I think the way KD moves is weak, but the burner accounts and the dubs decision aside, he does make a great case for how valuable playmakers/max guys can be for a team, even if they are operating at optimum levels....

"The motion offense we run in Golden State, it only works to a certain point," Durant said to the Wall Street Journal's J.R. Moehringer. "We can totally rely on our system for maybe the first two rounds. Then the next two rounds we're going to have to mix in individual play. We've got to throw teams off, because they're smarter in that round of playoffs.

"So now I have to dive into my bag, deep, to create stuff on my own, off the dribble, isos, pick-and-rolls, more so than let the offense create points for me."

...and all we have in playmaking is AD, an oft injured Rondo and an unproven Caruso. I'm not even the biggest Melo fan and have hardly tracked his career, but it's situational s*** like this where I value Melo more than Dudz or Daniels.

The priority this summer should have been 3rd max, playmakers for Bron, center depth for AD, defensive doggs, then loading up shooting.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but it goes without saying imo f*** those high volume 3ball stroke artists. They killed the game. And it's got me mda...uh mad as hell.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

there was and is no path to an elite tertiary playmaker.

short of that, you're back to lance stephenson types. boo.

obviously, kawhi was the best option, but after that, more centers and playmakers wasn't. you're not going to be able to convince me otherwise, particularly after i watched last season.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    How many elite level playmakers did the Raptors have last season? I count one. They still managed to get a ring.

Showtime Lakers had one. Bulls had two. Pistons one. 3peat Lakers had one. Spurs had two. The Warriors are kind of an outlier with multiples.

20. LTLakerFan

I read you somewhere yesterday allude to putting the best roster on the floor as we can (as we enter LBJ's 2nd season here and now with AD here). I don't recall the context. But of course that makes sense. But it seems to me in this constant scenario that you wish had played out instead, where we fart around for awhile after Leonard fell through and WAIT to see if maybe we can become players in some other team's or teams' trade needs .... buy absorbing (getting something that at the immediate point in time is NOT allowing our best job at best immediate roster) ..... so that we can recoup some of the picks or what not we lost or some players or assets to hopefully be flipped at the deadline for better players MAYBE becoming available. What about the here and now and trying to have that best roster, save one key spot for Iggy or whomever .... so it's there at the start of the season? So we don't crap and waste winnable games away again early in the year?

It SEEMS to me that is what you do. We could have waited weeks for deals that might never have happened between other teams. At least now we can hope that the FO did their best due diligence with the basketball minds being consulted from whatever scouts and talent evaluators we have in the organization .... and pulled the damn trigger on it and said let's go. The deals that we could have waited on weeks for possibly fruitlessly .... undoubtedly would have cost us some of this blueprint for the roster that THEY had in mind. Why keep second guessing it?

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.