2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaqFu

ShaqFu - Rookie -

What team out there even has cap space to aid us? We can only trade ad, Bron, tht, or kuzma right now, I believe. There's just no other way Westbrook could be in purple and gold without trading ad or Bron. It's impossible even with a third team.

2. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

Plus, it saved us from making a MozDeng level mistake(s)...

3. Banners

Banners - Rookie -

This is never going to happen.

First, most of our picks are new signings, so we'd have wait until December for them to even be tradeable.

Second, Westbrook makes 38m this year, so we'd have to send out close to 31m to match salaries properly.
    - We would have to gut the team to get to that number (eg. Green, KCP, Cousins, Cook, Kuzma and Dudley)

Third, we don't have any draft pick assets to entice them, and only have Kuzma and THT as young assets for them to be interested in.

I think it would be more realistic to target a younger 27 million (6-10 year) type player, if that became available (eg. B. Beal)

4. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Wow, Mr. Rambis actually said something here I always had an inkling about. It was always weird how all of a sudden he decided to stay on OKC when he had max money, going home and a title contender right there waiting for him. Lakers were chanting his name when he was in OKC last year too.

Now that Mr. Rambis has some what let the cat out of the bag, I do believe there was a hush hush agreement with everyone forcing the Lakers to not get PG13 for the tampering issues they had.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Toneloc like this.
  5. Mr. Rambis

Mr. Rambis - Rookie - LB Verified Insider

@Banners Beal is undoubtedly on the radar, but may be a tougher get in some ways. If Westbrook does demand to be traded to LA so he can finally get that ring, seem as though the Thunder are somewhat willing to do right by their stars. In contrast, the situation in Washington is a bit of a mess right now, and as I've maintained, they're fine fielding a midlevel playoff team over rebuilding.

6. Mr. Rambis

@OX1947 You're exactly right. I wrote a lengthy explanation on here a while back about it. But in short, this wasn't about Paul George going to OKC and changing his mind later. It was about him getting what he's always wanted.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and OX1947 like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

kcp > morris.

imo.

8. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Bradley Beal HAS to be a player they figure out a way to get here. It would be a punch in the gut and in the face of all the noise all around the league. I am praying the Lakers really develop a nasty attitude this year. Like the 2009 Laker team. They just grind and hit everyone in the mouth on their way to the title.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  9. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

It's kinda easy actually haha...

TL;Dr: You would have to modify the AD trade into 2 moves so that the 4th pick's caphold of 7.1m comes completely off our books.

We had 32.14m in cap space with that hold on our books, so removing it would give us a net of 38.34m. Russ's deal is 38.5m so we would be able to pretty much absorb the entire deal into our space. Then turn around and finish off the 2nd part of the AD deal by emptying the clip in salary matching to trade for AD. That's the cap way of getting that deal done to bring in Russ & AD.

I can look at the numbers later to see how we could have realistically pawned off the 4th pick and it's caphold first, but even then the Russ deal would have to see assets go the other way and I'm not sure it gets Presti's attention if we used up all our assets to trade for AD. If they see Russ as primarily a salary dump then we could have made it work...but I'm sure they're looking at a premium in exchange for him.

Which is why I've been critical of Rob of late. Everybody keeps saying "good job, Rob" but the fact remains AD/Klutch gave us all the leverage and we still took a spreading knife to our roster rather than getting surgical with it to preserve cap space and our assets.

10. Mr. Rambis

Wow thanks for all the insight @vasashi17 ! Well explained and easy to understand, even for a cap dunce like me!

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  11. Paperplanes

Paperplanes - Rookie -

Westbrook is owed 38 mil this year and 40 mil next year. There is no buyout and sign for min possible.

ShaqFu likes this.
  12. nzahir

nzahir Guest

So what are we doing? We got a few hours left to spend the remaining space correct?

Who is even left? Avery and JaMychal green are best guys left that aren't rfa?

13. ShaqFu

ShaqFu - Rookie -

Probably not. It ain't happening either way.

14. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

Unless something crazy happens, I think this is what we're doing... Which I believe still keeps a Roster spot open in case any Players of interest get waived, etc.

ElginTheGreat, gcclaker and Cookie like this.
  15. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I'm just making up half this s*** as I go haha. Thx tho bro.
    :Beertoast2:

alam1108 likes this.
  16. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

I’m glad we got Cousins and Rondo is fine at the minimum.

With the money we have left, I hope somehow Iggy gets bought out in the next few hrs and we sign him. If not, Avery is great just to add guard depth as insurance because Rondo always misses 20 games a season due to injury.

I still think at the end of the day, we had a great offseason. We missed on plan A (Kawhi) and plan B (D’Angelo), but plan C (use cap space to round out team) was still executed pretty well.

The only unfortunate part that wasn’t perfect execution of plan C is because of the Lakers waiting on Kawhi, we missed out on any chance to upgrade at point guard. But we more or less got who must of us wanted on our wishlist (Danny Green, Boogie Cousins for cheap).

I think by the end of the night, we will essentially know our roster come training camp is:

Rondo/Cook/Caruso
    Green/Bradley/Daniels/THT
    LeBron/KCP/Dudley
    AD/Kuzma
    McGee/Cousins

We will still have 1 spot open for buyout candidates (fingers still crossed for Iguodala) or maybe one more big. I wouldn’t hate Joakim Noah as the 3rd strong Center.

Like I said, still a great offseason. The roster will have depth, I actually trust Rob to finish up the final details. He’s been good this offseason.

Cookie likes this.
  17. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Williams is a 2-way contract so we'd still have two spots available.

Cook/Rondo/Caruso
    Green/Caldwell-Pope/Daniels
    James/Horton-Tucker
    Davis/Kuzma/Dudley
    Cousins/McGee/(Williams)

18. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Interesting. Why do you feel that way?

19. Mr. Rambis

Westbrook Update: Sam Presti is going to take his time evaluating the market for the star point guard. Lakers, for now, will move forward to fill out the rest of their roster, and try to negotiate with the Thunder if and when that opportunity arises down the line. Internally, feeling is as though it would take a Westbrook demand specifically to LA, for the deal to even have a remote chance of being completed by the end of the offseason.

alam1108 and BigDaddyEuler like this.
  20. BigDaddyEuler

BigDaddyEuler - Rookie -

@Mr. Rambis who the Lakers are targeting rn? I think they still got $6M in space?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.